r32 exhaust on audi a3

discostu49

Reaction score
i posted this on the r32 forum but people here might have an answer or view on the subject .....................

hi guys i have the audi 3.2 v6, now its the same as the golf 5 r32 platform and has same engine and brakes as the r32 but has a audi shell over it all,

my issue is that the audi sounds good but not as good as the r32, and this is down to the exhaust they put on it, i have looked at videos of miltek and magnaflow and other systems for my car but none of them even sound close to a standard r32, these after market exhausts seem to take the v6 raaaaassssp away and give it more of a booming sound,

so after some searching came across guys in the states doing the r32 conversion.

im wandering why there is such a drastic difference in sound but if you put a r32 exhaust on the audi it sounds just like a r32,

Idea!!!! i can pick up a standard r32 system for 150 from ebay and thinking about putting it on, i will be getting a s3 diffuser in time so will get a custom one made for the duel exit.

any ideas on the massive difference in sound you cn see from pics its only the back box that is different

P10207141.jpg

130130951.jpg

here is under the audi which shows the r32 box has the same space as the golf as they R the same underneath

5wh18h.jpg

here is an audi with it on

photo2.jpg

and here is the link to a guy doing it to his

http://forums.vwvort...lled-on-my-3.2q

here is link to the sound but guys being a wimp at revving

sorry for the links ;-)

I like the look of that red sportback with it. looks sweeet.

IMHO the center exhausts on an 8P look stupid, only really suits the MK5 tbh.

Reactions: Zain Iqbal
Definitely agree the R32 sounds a lot meaner than any 3.2 I've heard, guess it's just the Audi gene coming through. Are they really only different at the back box?

IMHO the center exhausts on an 8P look stupid, only really suits the MK5 tbh.

I think thats down to the rear bumper design, if those tips sat a bit further up at the coloured edges came down more it'd look alot better. Also with the newer facelift models (black edition in particular) it would look nice with that style rear diffuser. Maybe black or brushed aluminium tips would look better too.

Edit: Ultimately, RS ovals FTW

But making them black would only defeat the point as I can only imagine someone doing that for aesthetics tbh & silver looks wrong on 8P, hence the each side dual exits or the one sided dual exit just suits or do my fav & what mine will be, none at all lmfao.

I've never been a fan of the MkV R32 exhausts aesthetically, never understood why they didn't either do a central twin (would look marginally better, like a Lupo GTi) or the wide dual tips (like the MkIV R32, 3.2 Mk1 TT and 3.0l A4s etc). The red SB looks better than an R32 with them on though, but surely this mod is more about the sound.

Are the bumper sections interchangeable, or do you need to fabricate a valance? The cut-out on the VWVortex one looks awful, imo.

It's all about the sound for me, yeah it's only the back bx that is different mechanically, but the r32 exhaust is a straight fit. I can go down the route of any exhaust for the r32 and have a custom rear valance which is easy enough with fibre glass.

Just looked over my 1st post it's a little messed up, the two pics of the exhausts on the floor is a comparison between the Audi 3.2 and the golf r32

the sound change will be as the end box on the r32 flow is in a line were the audi one go to the opp side on the inpipe meaning the rear box is doing more.

It looks better like this, but with some nice shiny tips. Plucked this from a3/s3 pics.
90d7488e.jpg

Last edited:
the sound change will be as the end box on the r32 flow is in a line were the audi one go to the opp side on the inpipe meaning the rear box is doing more.

thats what i thought but also though it sounded daft so never said ha ha

like the look of this caratere one
A3_8P_5dr_REAR_CARA38P_03_Z.jpg

With the blue SB I think they're too low and need to be brought up into the bumper more with a decent valance too match..

Sorry to re-open a very old thread, the answer to this question is to remove the two 'pre-silencers' which are inbetween the cats and the mid box..The r32 does not have them, audi 3.2 does, I replaced mine with a custom stainless section and bingo- r32 noise. A very cheap mod, £120 all in, makes a slightly deeper note generally. Boot it over 2500rpm and it sounds very throaty.
As for customising tail pipe design, I looked into this and gave up, because of the battery sitting so low at the rear end, the only option is a mk5 r32 tailpipe design or oem type, there is no space, unless you re-locate the battery or use a dummy tailpipe to make things symmetrical

Reactions: discostu49
Sorry to re-open a very old thread, the answer to this question is to remove the two 'pre-silencers' which are inbetween the cats and the mid box..The r32 does not have them, audi 3.2 does, I replaced mine with a custom stainless section and bingo- r32 noise. A very cheap mod, £120 all in, makes a slightly deeper note generally. Boot it over 2500rpm and it sounds very throaty.
As for customising tail pipe design, I looked into this and gave up, because of the battery sitting so low at the rear end, the only option is a mk5 r32 tailpipe design or oem type, there is no space, unless you re-locate the battery or use a dummy tailpipe to make things symmetrical
So here is a pic of a r32 exhaust are you meaning to remove and replace with a straight through pipe for each part I have circled??

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415661518690.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415661518690.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 781
No, the r32 does not have them, your red circle are the cats, green is mid box, Blue on my pic are pre silencers on a3 3.2, this car has one, mine had two
BigUndersideMediumLarge

EDIT: Dub beat me to it!

So here is a pic of a r32 exhaust are you meaning to remove and replace with a straight through pipe for each part I have circled??
The Red Circle are the Cats! And the Green one is the mid box. What you are showing is an R32 exhaust.
Dub said that the A3 has extra silencers on top of the ones present on the R32.
Here is a picture of the underside of an 8p 3.2 (3dr)

A3 32 underside

The first 2 on the downpipes are again the cats, but then there is only one presilencer that Dub mentioned. Is that the one you mean Dub?

Perfect got ya guys will get under the car tomorrow for a look wander how it will sound with my magnaflow when I remove them u any videos on YouTube cj

Mine is an early model (53) it has one silencer per down pipe, I can only guess that audi removed one for the later models. No videos yet, but ill have some soon

Dub I'm quite interested if you have a video of the sound of the car? I too have an 3.2 and want it to sing to me a tad louder.
To be fair, the other day when it went in for an MOT, I heard it when it got driven in, and it sounds sweet from the outside even with standard exhaust.

thats the video btw, although it looks like a black square^^

Rite so I have two pre cat silencers on my car, popping to a garage at the weekend to see about getting them removed. What do the pre cats do and will the garage question why I'm wanting them out ? Also will it have an effect of my fuel ? Or mot?
8f5cf6a11a02a4ae7a21ba1cf75f7584.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming there are no cats built into them or any other emission-related kit, they should do absolutely nothing to affect your MOT status. garage will probably wonder as to why you want it done, just give them a blip of the throttle and say 'I want more' :D

Rite so I have two pre cat silencers on my car, popping to a garage at the weekend to see about getting them removed. What do the pre cats do and will the garage question why I'm wanting them out ? Also will it have an effect of my fuel ? Or mot?
8f5cf6a11a02a4ae7a21ba1cf75f7584.jpg

Hello, I know it was a while ago now, but did you get around to removing the silencers?