R32(mk4) or s3 (8L)

s3avo

Reaction score
My brother wants either a golf r32 (MK4) or a older shape (8L) s3 what do you guys recon he should go for

Rich

Personally (because I have a passionate love for them), 8L S3. There rare, look amazing and everytime we see one it turns our heads whereas the R32 is just another R32 to be honest.

Not bring it down but the 8L S3 seems more of an exclusive car (in my eyes anyway).

S3. Turbo. 4WD. Amazing tuning potential.

Remap, Coilovers. Anti-Roll Bars, Uprated Haldex.

R32 is too heavy, too noise heavy, limited tuning opportunities and its a GOLF :s3addict:

magnus911 said:
A3 8P 3.2

Who wants to start that argument again!?

Simple formula will resolve this issue:

Speed/Potential/Sound/Excitement/Fun = Turbo > N/A

:asskicking:

emzino said:
Simple formula will resolve this issue:

Speed/Potential/Sound/Excitement/Fun = Turbo > N/A

:asskicking:

No way!

Speed:
8P 3.2 =faster than 8L S3 (0-60 and top end)

Potential:
Ok Fair enough...

Sound:
Sorry but the burble of the V6 is far more thrilling than the 2.0 turbo...

Fun:
Again, S3 is beautiful fun I admit but don't get caught outside your 2k rev power band or you're in trouble!

I have to admit... I love the sound of the R32.. it does sound great.
But you depends on your brother...
His got to look at fuel economy... and the R32 is well... a binge drinker
Does he like his cars with a good soundtrack?
Remember also the R32 is also avaible in 5door...

magnus911 said:
No way!

Speed:
8P 3.2 =faster than 8L S3 (0-60 and top end)

Potential:
Ok Fair enough...

Sound:
Sorry but the burble of the V6 is far more thrilling than the 2.0 turbo...

Fun:
Again, S3 is beautiful fun I admit but don't get caught outside your 2k rev power band or you're in trouble!

The 8P 3.2 is only 0.2 secs quicker to 60 than the S3 and thats with DSG. That can soon be overcome with a nice chip. Also I like to steer.

Anyway this debate is about the R32 vs the 8L S3 and I had the same dilemma. In the end the S3 won because of

Badge
MPG
Tuneability
Interior Quality
Potential

The R32 though is a nice looking car.

I dont know if its just me and its not because I have one but I really do prefer the looks of the older S3 and R32 over the newer ones.

This is quite easy for me cos i have had both cars, im not biased towards audi but i would go for the S3 get it APR tuned, it will be an absolute rocket, i had the R32 chipped by APR and it felt so much more sluggish, granted the sound is much better but im more of a performance man, and i also prefer the more subtle looks of the audi

Difficult one, i've owned the R, and would choose this over the S3 8L. As i did. Personally i think the S3 looks a little dated now, and there are way too many on the roads compared to the limited production of the R32.

I'm not interested in modding cars, mortgage kicks in there, so as a package, the R offered more.

Gonna go against the flow and say get the R32. Its a lovely looking car, still a head turner, and the sound is amazing, especially with a miltek! I nearly got one of these in Feb 2006 but the car I saw at the dealers wasnt quite right and I had to say no. I vowed never to look at the Mk4 R32 again :sorry:

I ended up going for the 2.0 TDI A3 (8P) as wanted a good reliable car for next 4-5 yrs. I thought getting a 2-3 yr old R32 and keeping it for 4-5 yrs may rack up more bills (in terms of fuel and servicing) but I could be wrong about the servicing. Am sure the R32 would have been much more fun.

Ok, but you asked about it versus the S3 8L. It does look a bit old now, but there was a guy at work with a black one in mint condition with 19 inch polished old style RS4 rims and it looked the ******** :hubbahubba:

Never driven the 8L S3, am sure its a good drive and as mentioned has more tuning potential than the R32 and is better value for money as R32's tend to be bit more expensive.

I would still go for the R32, in blue or black, with BBS CH 19 inch rims and a milltek exhaust. Gorgeous!

Cooky

i was under the impression that the choice is between the

MK4 R32 golf
OR
8L S3

thats why i chose the 8L S3, if the 8P 3.2 was to get involved then that will win in my book HANDS DOWN

I often go out in a R32 and own the S3, The R32 feels like a sports car v firm and instant power. My S3 is softer and you have to get the revs just right or you can look a right charley.

If he gets the R32 the seat upgrade is a must imo.

I like both but chose the S for a all round package. As for thirst there`s only a couple of mpg in it tbh.