R8 or 997 Turbo???

R8-V8 Or 997 Turbo

• Total voters

S3quatt

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As it says, had my mind made up to go for a 997 turbo, but now the prices of the V8 R8's are coming down to a reasonable-ish price, i'm starting to seriously consider one of those...Any ideas & reasons welcome :)

As it says, had my mind made up to go for a 997 turbo, but now the prices of the V8 R8's are coming down to a reasonable-ish price, i'm starting to seriously consider one of those...Any ideas & reasons welcome :)

Its got to be R8. Its just oozes class, sleek tidy car, oh and it has to be red.

997 Turbo...just because you can

if the R8 was a V10....Id say R8

Buy a 993 tt - you will not loose much £ on resale as it seems they have reached 'collectable' status - last of the aircooled turbos etc.

993 turbo is a classic beaut. The 997 is also a lovely car both better than V8 R8!!!

Yep, I test drove both at the weekend, & the 997 Turbo it is! There is simply no comparison performance wise!

I'm not sure if the V10 would be any different, but my mind's made up...

Porche 997 turbo is a monster, try getting one with a x50 pack power upgrade, 590bhp to boot and carbon ceramic brakes equals ultimate road going car. GL.

Porche 997 turbo is a monster, try getting one with a x50 pack power upgrade, 590bhp to boot and carbon ceramic brakes equals ultimate road going car. GL.

Sounds good, but after 1 ban a few years ago, I dont even drive my current motor like it should be so unless i was taking it to the track, the upgrade would be wasted on me really...

Before you ask, my main reasoning behind the turbo as opposed to any other, is after having a C4s, I was a bit disappointed in it.
The turbo drives like I always imagined it should! ;-)

Fair enough squat. No matter which you might choose I'm sure it'll be a special car.

993 turbo you would park up after 10 days and not want to drive again. Yes it's the best looking and coolest but they are hard work to drive and live with. Doing a journey in one for more than 45mins is killing. Gokart peddels, tram lines like nothing else. changes lanes when it wants etc. The 997 turbo is a fast car but is less well built than the 996 which was less well built than the 993, you starting to get the picture....:)

I haven't spent much time with the R8 but from everything I have seen of the build quality I would go for the R8..

993 turbo you would park up after 10 days and not want to drive again. Yes it's the best looking and coolest but they are hard work to drive and live with. Doing a journey in one for more than 45mins is killing. Gokart peddels, tram lines like nothing else. changes lanes when it wants etc. The 997 turbo is a fast car but is less well built than the 996 which was less well built than the 993, you starting to get the picture....:)

I haven't spent much time with the R8 but from everything I have seen of the build quality I would go for the R8..

Sorry to disappoint, but went for the turbo.
I traded up from a 996 s & felt that the V8 R8 was about the same performance wise, although I reckon the Audi handled better.

I dunno, I guess I just expected more from it.

The 997 is the car I always thought the Porsche should be if you get my meaning?
Drove the 996 for about 3 hours & had back ache... On the return, i drove for over 8 hours with no problems! Much more refined car & can't fault the build quality on it!

At the end of the day I've still held on to the old S3 as my daily driver as I'm still an Audi nut at heart tho ;-)

I do recall our conversation about the 993 turbo Adam and remembering all those picky faults with them. For cult status 993 Turbo everytime but for pure driving pleasure V10 R8......yes please.