R8/TTRS//TT8S Steering Wheel Retrofit Issues

1bb_y

Reaction score
3B6672C7 55A8 4873 AE76 76F46DBB6598

So currently I am in the process of retrofitting the Audi TTS steering wheel pictured above onto my A3 8V. I have also been following this this thread for help with wiring the airbag.

So it turns out not only is the connector on my steering wheel different to the one from the thread or any other TT8S steering wheel I have seen, but the airbag wiring connector is also different and doesn't work with my car.

71D04BC8 3B50 4C7B A839 D86024C4FB9E

As you can see my steering wheel has a T4 connector when it should actually have a T6 connector which means my steering wheel buttons will not work

68F458C5 00A6 4476 8AEA 17364B1A2ABD

And as you can also see here on the left is the original airbag connector on the right is the TT airbag connector which are quite different.

Clearly not all of the TT8S steering wheel and airbags are the same and I have no clue how to move forward. Does anyone know if I can change the wiring harness on the steering wheel and airbag and the part numbers?

Are the wire colors the same? Can you just swap the connector housings over

Mmmmm….
Did you get any advice from anyone before purchasing?
I ask because that new steering wheel is from the latest edition TT (The view button is the giveaway - it’s to changed the Virtual Cockpit display)
I *think* (Not 100% sure) that the facelift cars with VC started to move away from CANBUS to (LINBUS or LIMBUS, can’t recall which) controls, so you may need an interface box.
@DJAlix or @NHN may be able to offer some advice to you…

good luck! (Nice wheel btw) :hi:

Mmmmm….
Did you get any advice from anyone before purchasing?
I ask because that new steering wheel is from the latest edition TT (The view button is the giveaway - it’s to changed the Virtual Cockpit display)
I *think* (Not 100% sure) that the facelift cars with VC started to move away from CANBUS to (LINBUS or LIMBUS, can’t recall which) controls, so you may need an interface box.
@DJAlix or @NHN may be able to offer some advice to you…

good luck! (Nice wheel btw) :hi:
Thanks, and yeah I am aware of the view button I found a supplier who converts the view button Cambus/linbus signal to work with a none VC car with an adapter.

That aside, I have managed to get the yellow airbag connector to fit by trimming the sides as recommended by another retrofitter. Just need to find someone who can supply the correct T6 connector then all will be good

Reactions: RAF_S7
Thanks, and yeah I am aware of the view button I found a supplier who converts the view button Cambus/linbus signal to work with a none VC car with an adapter.

That aside, I have managed to get the yellow airbag connector to fit by trimming the sides as recommended by another retrofitter. Just need to find someone who can supply the correct T6 connector then all will be good
does all your mtfs buttons work? or you need to re-wiring on yourown?