RaceChip review / thoughts

AL53STR

Reaction score
Looking at installing the RaceChip onto my S3 Cab.

Has anyone got any experience with these and / or any advise?

The advertised power increase seams quite promising. I know it won’t be as good a a stage 1 remap nessesairly but the quick install and less risk to warranty is appealing!

Thanks in advance!

One question - have you considered a JB4 instead? It costs a little more but runs a lot smoother and you have more customisation options.

One question - have you considered a JB4 instead? It costs a little more but runs a lot smoother and you have more customisation options.

Mainly down to installation (and a little cheaper)... the RaceChip seems a lot easier to install and I am not after masses more power just to bring the car closer to 4.5s rather than 5s for 0-60

Mainly down to installation (and a little cheaper)... the RaceChip seems a lot easier to install and I am not after masses more power just to bring the car closer to 4.5s rather than 5s for 0-60

Makes sense :hi: I have no experience with the RaceChip myself but if I should choose another option than a JB4 I would choose a TMC box instead. A lot of BMW m135i and Golf R people runs those boxes with very good results and it even comes in a bluetooth version with different settings.

Here is the stats for the facelift (they can of course be discussed but a lot of people are actually able to receive very similar power output on the dyno with just the box)

2017 12 18 09 16 46

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/chiptuning-box-with-phone-controls

Last edited:
Makes sense :hi: I have no experience with the RaceChip myself but if I should choose another option than a JB4 I would choose a TMC box instead. A lot of BMW m135i and Golf R people runs those boxes with very good results and it even comes in a bluetooth version with different settings.

Here is the stats for the facelift (they can of course be discussed but a lot of people are actually able to receive very similar power output on the dyno with just the box)

View attachment 144163
https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/chiptuning-box-with-phone-controls

Interesting you say that TMC were my second option...

I actually got a JB1 in the end as after reading reviews it seems to be a nicer option for the engine. :)
I'm in the process of making the decision on what one to go for now...

How much of an increase did you get with the JB1?

I'm not a fan of the amount of wiring/loom spaghetti that comes with the other, higher spec units.

I'm in the process of making the decision on what one to go for now...

How much of an increase did you get with the JB1?

I'm not a fan of the amount of wiring/loom spaghetti that comes with the other, higher spec units.

It’s not a massive increase but it is definitely noticed non the less. It gives you more of that torque feeling when it gets over 3k revs. Below that nothing different.

In my opinion it is worth it but I am quite confident you would get more out of the JB 4 or a custom map for your car.

Reactions: GregS3