Racingline Springs for S3 8Y

Q5 TRS

Reaction score
S3 Springs

So, when I got my 2021 8Y S3 Saloon in March 2021 I already had plans to lower it. I have the adaptive dampeners so I wanted to keep them and just replace the springs. I wanted a stock ride, as my previous 8V S3 Sportback albeit on standard shocks with H&R lowering springs, I felt for me was a harsh ride, even in comfort.

I found some springs from Racingline, and having looked around their website for a bit I was very impressed with the quality of the products and the promises made on the product page.

“They replace the car's four standard springs with re-engineered, different-rate and slightly shorter Sport Springs.

The vehicle's centre of gravity is lowered, reducing body roll for better dynamics, whilst maintaining the ride quality and comfort of your car.

Meanwhile, the car's appearance is transformed. By getting rid of those nasty wheelarch gaps, it'll look like it always should've from the factory!”

After checking with a few places I ordered some VWR3130RS Springs. I asked whether they would be compatible due to being for the RS3 8V but they said yes so I ordered some.
The springs came in gloss black which I had fitted by a garage id used in the past a few times.
The ride was comfortable and I was happy but every now and then there was a creaking sound coming from the front. It happened on full lock forwards or backwards. I also jacked the car up to swap wheels over and the springs would be loose and move around quite a bit. It was a faff to get them to sit right and not move out of position when I lowered the car back onto the ground. I contacted the shop again after living with them for a few weeks and they informed me they would send out the springs for the 8Y S3 Saloon, model no VWR3131S3. They had just recently come out.

I had them fitted after new year and straight away the garage said there was a big difference. The new S3 springs were longer than the RS3 ones. I know the RS3 5-Cylinder is heavier so would account for the difference in length. Anyway I had all 4 corners replaced, new S3 springs are a mid-grey gloss colour instead of black but was still ok with me, as you don’t see them anyway usually. At least they weren’t some awful colour.

The ride comfort has increased noticeably and now when I turn full lock I don’t hear anything. No noises or creaks. As it should be. They feel like the standard springs but the ride height look so much nicer.

Now the ride and ride height is sorted its time for more mods.

I know that as it was a new model there was a chance that parts from the previous model are interchangeable but as it turns out not in this case. I have the Vorsprung S3 so I have adaptive dampeners so I can only test these but the fact that I think it feels stock again but lowered is a good sign. I think that they would also be a great solution for someone with standard shocks. The ride height is perfect, im on 19 inch wheels, as I think 20s would be too uncomfortable on 30 profile tyres. 235/35/19 is just right. See pictures for the arch gap on the S3 Springs.

I’m in the north east, and used Thompa Sport in Sunderland to fit the springs and its going back next week for the alignment.

S3 Springs 1
S3 Springs 2
S3 Springs 3
S3 Springs 4
S3 Springs 5
S3 Springs 6

What’s the drop in mm. I’m looking to get some for my edition 1. Wheels are 19 inch. Wonder if they’ll do some for the non S3 and RS3 models.

What’s the drop in mm. I’m looking to get some for my edition 1. Wheels are 19 inch. Wonder if they’ll do some for the non S3 and RS3 models.

The drop is 20mm for S3 suspension. The edition 1 is 15mm lower than standard A3 so I would expect the drop is about the same for the Edition 1.

The S3 weighs approx 100kg more on average than the edition 1.
Wouldn’t expect that to make much difference in height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nick James
Any sensors that needed recalibrating? Headlights, front camera, ACC?

The fitment is spot on from the suspension to the wheels.

@S3 TRS There's some contradicting info regarding ride confort with these lowering springs (there is a video of a chap called volkswizard or something like that test drives the racingline s3 with these spring and saying that its clearly stiffer).
From my experience its impossible to lower the car and have same ride confort. I've done it several times before hoping it would hold ride confort but each time it was harsher. One this to note is that a few hours after changing the springs, the ride was ok .. until the suspension settled. Afterwards it became harsher.

@S3 TRS There's some contradicting info regarding ride confort with these lowering springs (there is a video of a chap called volkswizard or something like that test drives the racingline s3 with these spring and saying that its clearly stiffer).
From my experience its impossible to lower the car and have same ride confort. I've done it several times before hoping it would hold ride confort but each time it was harsher. One this to note is that a few hours after changing the springs, the ride was ok .. until the suspension settled. Afterwards it became harsher.

I think Racingline bought a standard S3 for development. By the looks of this video it doesn’t have the reversing camera and most likely comfort and sound pack either. Therefore it will be on standard S3 suspension or not active dampeners.

Racingline video

https://youtu.be/d503dVgKQr4

Volkswizards video

https://youtu.be/EhfXf60vwMk

I think is the same car so he’s basing that opinion on non active dampeners too.

As the Racingline video came out way before the 8Y S3 springs I assume they were either pre production/testing springs or the previous model 8Y springs until they released the actual 8Y S3 springs more recently. It’s not mentioned as to whether Racingline had fitted those springs updated springs or not for Volkswizards video.

As the springs settle more I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: shadowzz and ego208
I just read that they are progressive. Initially in their documentation they mentioned that they are not progressive. So given that , i can believe that the ride comfort is somewhat maintained.

I can report that after a few months they seem to have settled and I’m happy with the ride comfort. I still avoid potholes and damaged roads but I always have. Love the way they sit too

Now that they’ve settled I’d say almost OEM but a tiny bit firmer. They are lowering springs after all.

Installed

Attachments

• 947C4EDB-648C-489F-990D-0F43C448D678.jpeg
    947C4EDB-648C-489F-990D-0F43C448D678.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 217
Reactions: Q5 TRS