Radiator cooling fan issues 2.0 TDI BKD

bentwenty

Reaction score
Hi, relatively new here so hi everyone...
I was driving home from work yesterday and I noticed the air con wasn't cool, it then started making a hissing noise and stopped. It put it's self into econ mode and pressing the button wouldn't do anything.
As soon as I got home I scanned it on VCDS and got error codes for both the cooling fans saying movement restricted or jammed.
I manually checked both fans, they both move freely, but both have a slight wobble. I reset and the codes didn't come back, the air con also started working again. I assume the air con disabled it's self because of the fan fault?
The car is an 03 with 117k on it. I have had the same error codes for the fans in the past and they have always cleared, are they on the way out? Temp gauge always warms up normally and never goes about half way.
I also got a 02071 local databus which I don't know anything out and haven't seen before, should I be worried about that?
Cheers in advance for any help!

Hey Ben,

I've had a similar problem with my 2.0 BKD, the problem being lack of gas inside the aircon. My aircon compressor died due to that issue and the replacement of the compressor costs ~600$ in my country.

The symptoms of a dead compressor are, according to my mechanic, the warm air blowing and weird sounds coming from the passenger side of the car front when turning on the AC.

Hi, thanks for the reply! If this was the issue, do you think my aircon would have started working normally again when I cleared the codes? It has been working normally all of today. Is there a way of checking the gas charge level perhaps using VCDS? Or do I just have to pay to have it recharged?
Cheers

If the level gets too low it is normally detected by the G65 sensor (IIRC), and the aircon gets shut off until pressure is restored.

Your problem sounds more like a fault with the fans, however it may never occur again. I'd wait and see if the same fault comes back after a couple of days before doing anything else with it.

Yeah that's more what I thought, I imagine the air con is disabled because of the code. I'll keep an eye on it. Defiantly haven't had any codes for the air con system it's self.