Radiator cooling fan unit

themikeyboosh

Reaction score
Hi,

My radiator cooling fan constantly runs (even with car off) even when I disconnect the battery, as soon as I reconnect the battery terminal it starts up again. This seems to be a common problem from what I can gather from this forum.

Is anybody selling the radiator fan unit?

Cheers

Mike

Mine did this and recently failed which has caused bigger issues you don't want! make sure you get it sorted soon mate and keep a close eye on it, or you could be in my situation:detective2:

I noticed the fan still going about 2 hours after i stopped driving and thought it was strange but because it was a hot day, i thought perhaps it was normal. A few days after that it began to go really slow, almost as if the momentum of the fan was making it turn continuiously. It was only when i got a coolant level low warning light, that i noticed it had actually failed!

I don't have the part number at the minute as im at work, however i can get back to you at about 4.30pm with it if you still need it by then!

mines also the same car and year. Got a feeling my head has cracked because this has failed so youve done the right thing not driving it for the minute :)

From reading other people's problems, it's quite often the 2003/2004 cars that have this issue.

Yes if you let me know the part number when you get home, that would be great! I think there's one on ebay at the moment for about £90 so I'm looking at that now.

Cheers

Mike

yeah i see, like all the other issues only the 2003/2004 have!!:3sadwalk: yeah no worries and that seems a good price. Do you know if the modules for these are atually a part of the fan or not? Reason i ask is when i went to the garage to get mine looked at, he said take off the cooling fans and the module also and he will test them.. maybe he was thinking of a different model.

If you remove this yourself.. dont remove your bumper like some people say! when i had just removed my bumper after being told it was the way to do it, someone else commented on a post i did, basically saying that you can just do it from inside the engine bay haha just my luck

Is it easy to do? I'm not brilliant with cars, but if it's not rocket science I'll give it a go.

As far as I know, the modules are built into the fan, I don't know if they are serviceable or not?

Took me about 20 minutes and you'll probably need axle stands. If anything it's just awkward to get to some of the screws but there is only four so it's not too difficult.

To do it:
- Jack it up and put the axle stands under (high enough to get under the front of the car).
- Get under and take out the two screws holding the full unit on, one screw on the left and one on the right
- Disconnect the plug connector
- Pop the bonnet and take the two top screws out. You may need attatchable torque bits cos the spaces are too small to get a screw driver in.

Ok so I looked on my fan unit and there's quite a few part numbers and I have tried everyone into google and found nothing :-/

Thanks for this Tommy, it seems straight forward enough for me to have a crack at! Would you mind posting the numbers you have got so I can at least try and compare them with the one off ebay?

Cheers

Mike

You're welcome. Yep sorry I was trying to upload pictures but my phone Internet ran out and my wifi on my phone does work! Give me five and I'll send some. There's quite a few number you see so it'll be easier!

tom

Here you go let me know how you get on :) apologies if these photos turn out bad!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 174
If you need me to type any of them specifically just ask, had to take photos on an iPad and the quality looks rubbish

If you need me to type any of them specifically just ask, had to take photos on an iPad and the quality looks rubbish

Cheers mate, that's very kind of you, could you confirm the number that starts with 1K012, I think this is the part number.

More than welcome mate. There is two like that I think!

1K0.121.207
1K0 121 223 24/03 >EPOM<

I have also found this
1K0 959 455 EA - Left - 220W 360MM - £179.45 inc 20% VAT
1K0 959 455 ES - Right - 150W 295MM - £152.26 inc 20

ahh apologies i missed that! It's an N mate. any luck?

Yes, the one was going to get didn't have those air flaps in, parts ends in M it appears for the one without flaps. I've found a cheaper one now, I can even return it if that's not the problem. Thanks for your help!

can you send me a link or is that an ebay bid sort of thing? dont want to go bidding against someone im trying to help! haha.

no worries mate!

Just to let you know mate ive just ordered a full unit for £132 which will arrive tomorrow (next day) and that is with vat and delivery included. Comes with a 90 day warranty also.

Thats on 24/7 spares mate. Had a few quotes back all around that price.

Hi Tommy, I just got one on ebay, £76 delivered. I can send it back too if it doesn't solve the problem. I thought yours was already done?!

hi mike, Nope I have only removed it! Ow thought I had a good deal then haha

Ahh never mind at least we've have both ordered one, let me know how it goes mate

Did you have any luck mate? I just fitted my new ones and they're still not running :-( what else could it be?

I ordered new ones from tps when I had problems . worked no probs.

buying of ebay you have to make sure you get the rit part numbers

and then remember if they don't work you have to pay the return postage.

Did you have any luck mate? I just fitted my new ones and they're still not running :-( what else could it be?

I haven't tried yet. So yours weren't running, where as mine will not stop?

I'm planning on doing mine at some point today.

Yeah As they just stopped mate :/ hope they work! I managed to get them to come on with air con :)

Just an update, I managed to finally replaced my unit and it's working fine now. Thought it may help someone in the future who is having the same problem.