Radiator Fan Issue

A3-8PA

Reaction score
Yesterday when I pulled up my car (Audi A3 1.9tdi) onto my drive, I noticed the radiator fan was on, temp gauge in car was just below half way and it is less than 10 deg outside temp. I drove the car for 10minutes. Fan went off when I switched off the engine.

Any ideas?

My car after driving it the fan stays on for few seconds after i turn the engine off audi reassured me its normal and my car doesnt ever overheat so must be doing it because its supposed to, aslong as your car isnt overheating it should be ok

My car after driving it the fan stays on for few seconds after i turn the engine off audi reassured me its normal and my car doesnt ever overheat so must be doing it because its supposed to, aslong as your car isnt overheating it should be ok

Interesting to know, was not expecting all this from Audi. I never ever have had this issue on my car. Noticed it from last few days. Fan stays on even if the ignition is on and engine is off.

Im also wondering now as i had mine scanned via vagcom and no faults came up yesterday fan only cuts in during the car is running which is normal and also when i turn it off of its warm then goes off after few seconds which is also normal

Fluid levels normal, 50:50 mixture and not older than 2 years old? Ever used radweld or anything?

Fluid levels normal, 50:50 mixture and not older than 2 years old? Ever used radweld or anything?

Few months back Audi recommended coolant change. So coolant change on mine is due. That might be the cause? Booked for cam belt + water pump + coolant change next week.

It's a common problem... It's a sensor gone that controls the temp gauge which in turn controls the fans. The sensor is telling the car the wrong signal values so the fans run continuous as a fail safe. Check your thermostat too as the gauge should sit at 90 regardless of the weather.

Had this happen on a 2004 car we had.

It's a common problem... It's a sensor gone that controls the temp gauge which in turn controls the fans. The sensor is telling the car the wrong signal values so the fans run continuous as a fail safe. Check your thermostat too as the gauge should sit at 90 regardless of the weather.

Had this happen on a 2004 car we had.

Is it expensive one? I think best to sort with cambelt change...

It seems stopped now. I switched on AC for 5min yesterday. Will get it checked while cambelt change anyway.

Is it expensive one? I think best to sort with cambelt change...

Yeah always get the water pump and coolant changed with a cam belt, but I think you'll find your fan issue will still be there. The sensor is in the fan control unit which is part of the fan assembly. I think they are around £330.

If it's just a temp sender sensor thats gone then it will be around £40. Neither of these faults show a code though.

It seems stopped now. I switched on AC for 5min yesterday. Will get it checked while cambelt change anyway.

Your A/C should really be ran all year round otherwise the seals will fail and then it will leak. It then becomes useless!

Update: Pressure sensor at fault... Changed and regassed the system. All seems fine now.