Radiator fan keeps running?

Mjs

Reaction score
Just noticed on my last two trips out that the radiator fan runs flat out for about 5 minutes after I've turned the car off. It hasn't done this since owning it (three weeks now) and wondering if this is a fault (no engine mgt lights on though), or is it doing it because the weather has warmed up a bit so it's just serving its intended purpose. Any thoughts anyone?

Just noticed on my last two trips out that the radiator fan runs flat out for about 5 minutes after I've turned the car off. It hasn't done this since owning it (three weeks now) and wondering if this is a fault (no engine mgt lights on though), or is it doing it because the weather has warmed up a bit so it's just serving its intended purpose. Any thoughts anyone?
Not sure what engine you have, but my Golf GTD does this now and again, it's all to do with the particulate filter regeneration.

Yep, it's normal, although very annoying and way worse than any previous A3 I've had.

This is my last diesel, the next one will be a petrol or hybrid.

Reactions: StefRobinson
... this is a normal DPF regen.

DPF regen = Diesel Particle Filter regeneration.

Mine does it, and always as I drive up the short drive up to the house in 2nd gear.
Always as soon as I turn it off

Thanks for replies everyone. It is a diesel so this DPF regen process make sense. Doesn't sound like I need to book an appointment at the dealer just yet then.

I experienced this myself and since Ive never experienced this on my BMW 1-series (2012 and 2010 models) which both were Diesels I was convinced something was wrong. I called up the dealer and they said it was the cooling system. I guess they were wrong but at least DPF regen is normal and nothing to worry about.

The biggest giveaway that a DPF regen is in progress is the idle speed rises from 800rpm to 1000rpm. If this is happening when you turn off the ignition then you'll get the protracted fan issue as the engine and exhaust run very hot during the regen process.

As said by all others. Mines the same too. Just worry when it stops doing it lol

This is the first car I've had with a DPF. The first I know about it is the start/stop gets disabled and my fuel economy starts to go down. It's quite annoying. It's also rather noisy and a bit embarrassing when you stop the car and turn the engine off and all you can hear is the radiator fan going hell for leather. It sounds even worse in the garage!

Hi everyone just wanted to mention my Audi does the same ie: short journey's the fan seems to be running due to the regen running approx 5mins. It's quite annoying especially when you have a new car and you don't expect this, if anything the fan not being so noisy.

It is a post dpf regen, the car cannot perform a regen with the engine off. All that is happening is the fan is cooling down the engine as to perform a regen it needs to be run hotter than normal, thus it would need to be running.
Very normal for new cars...

Mine seems to do it all of the time, longer journeys usually. This normal?

Exactly why I sacked my previous A3 tdi off and got a petrol instead.

Pain in the @rse.

Exactly why I sacked my previous A3 tdi off and got a petrol instead.

Pain in the @rse.

I honestly don't mind, I leave it in the park and ride roaring its lungs off, it's funny but also kind of cool. I thought it did it for cooling or something.

Reactions: Kondax
Does the check engine light come on?

i'd say its normal after long journeys... the engine needs to cool off... same as with dpf

Hello, just had the same issue with my car this morning, dropped the children at school and the engine warning light and the fans kept running. Called Audi Assist and they were here within 30 minutes plugged the car into the diagnostic and indicated a cooling sensor fault.

Taken into Audi to get it resolved and waiting for hire car. The VW Roadside Assist then gave me a lift back which I thought was good.

He noted that it could be the whole module that needs replacing which will be replaced under warranty. Audi also noted that the car is also in for another recall in relation to the wheel arches (thought why had done this) but was a further recall.

Anyway let’s see what happens and see what Audi come back with.

i'd say its normal after long journeys... the engine needs to cool off... same as with dpf

DPF regen is a normal process. Every so often when it needs to and (normally) conditions are right, extra fuel is injected in, ideally on a long steady run (20 mins at around 2000 rpm) to raise the temp in the DPF to burn off built up soot.

If you stop and the tick over is still around 1000 rpm and the cooling fans are running, it's because it hasn't finished the process and it's trying to cool things down. If you can, take it for a cruise up the motorway to allow it to complete the process. It doesn't need to be driven hard, just a steady speed at around 2000 rpm.

If you keep stopping it finishing the process several times you can get issues with some of the additional fuel getting past the piston rings and contaminating the engine oil so best to give it a steady run reasonably soon.

Although my now sold VW Touran (same platform) was a diesel, I also experienced a none dpf regen related fan problem.
The rad had a twin fan pack on the back of it. One of the fans included a control module and this had failed along with one fan. Whilst it is possible to replace the faulty fan as a single unit the kit was/is generally supplied as a better option.

Colin

Just remove dpf and u will have no fans spin anymore :)