Radio Switched Power?

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My B5 unfortuntley had some bodged wiring to install an aftermarket radio :angry:

Luckily, I managed to find a geuine loom with the right connectors so I bought that and wired it up. Speakers work but I've got one issue.

When I take the key out of the ignition, my radio stays on. Now I should mention the power ISO connector wasn't cut, so I didn't need to wire it but I did notice that I'm missing switched power when I compared it to a friend's connector who also has a B5. After a bit of reading, I believe that switched power should be a red wire? I couldn't find one daggling anywhere behind the console so I decied to make my own switched power by using an add-a-fuse connector, I decided to use the horn's fuse becuase this is switched power.

However, after wiring it up, my radio still stays on after the key is removed.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Here is my radio's power connector diagram (genuine Audi radio)

IMG 20220507 104720020 HDR

Here's my power connector, the solid red wire being the one I added

IMG 20220507 104700764 HDR

And here is my friend's connector

Signal 2022 03 27 15 52 36 300

Possibly caused by missing Kline wire to signal on, off.

Depends on the model year not all B5's had kline to the radio. My 96 does not have kline. Also does not have a switched live connector. My A4 did not not come with a radio from factory (Yes that was an option back in the day) so it allowed you just to fit your own radio. Even with the no radio option selected you still got 4 speakers and the aerial etc. Best to tap into the fuse box for a switched live wire.

Also depending on the year of the car you will not have an AMP to power the rear speakers. If you don't then you will need an AMP like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125257769272?epid=12014544139 It's what I run on my B5 to power the rear speakers and is plug and play for Audi radio's.

Last edited:
Possibly caused by missing Kline wire to signal on, off.
Depends on the model year not all B5's had kline to the radio. My 96 does not have kline. Also does not have a switched live connector. My A4 did not not come with a radio from factory (Yes that was an option back in the day) so it allowed you just to fit your own radio. Even with the no radio option selected you still got 4 speakers and the aerial etc. Best to tap into the fuse box for a switched live wire.

Also depending on the year of the car you will not have an AMP to power the rear speakers. If you don't then you will need an AMP like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125257769272?epid=12014544139 It's what I run on my B5 to power the rear speakers and is plug and play for Audi radio's.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.

@B5NUT My car is a 2000 so I assume that means it has a kline? Given that I've already tapped into the fuse box with my add-a-fuse solution, do you reckon I should try cutting constant power (red & blue wire)? I wondered why you'd have a switched power and constant power, surely you'd only pick one?

Yes the car does have kline but looking your connector it does not have kline to the radio. Permeant live is there to keep the memory of the radio and it's the main power feed wire as it's usually a thick gauge wire. switched live just tells the radio to switch on and off only and is usually a thin gauge wire.

Yes the car does have kline but looking your connector it does not have kline to the radio. Permeant live is there to keep the memory of the radio and it's the main power feed wire as it's usually a thick gauge wire. switched live just tells the radio to switch on and off only and is usually a thin gauge wire.
Don't suppose you know where the kline runs to? I removed the trim from under the steering wheel and had a look around but couldn't see any dangling wires.

Kline runs to the ECU, instrument cluster, ABS, airbag and other electronic modules in the car. However kline was only used for diagnostic from what I know. I think what you could be missing is the infotainment can-bus wires coming from the cluster or you need to code the cluster to tell it has a radio so you can get station information on the DIS (IF fitted) and that should also switch off & on the radio. If you still want Kline for diagnostic then run a wire from the diagnostic port to the radio.

So you doubt the missing kline is the problem here? Your point about the cluster is interesting but I only have a half screen (see below) so I'm not sure if that's the problem here. Would running kline from the diagnostic port to the radio potentially solve my isssue?

IMG 20220416 145539221 HDR

Do you have the CANL & CANH wires in the harness? I've retrofitted RNS-E on B5 before and taken the can-bus wires form the cluster and that powered on and off the RNS-E as there is no switched live pin on the unit. As I have already stated from what I understand kline is for diagnostic only there are no control command sent via kline. However I could be wrong.

I'll pull the cluster out and have a look for the wries you mentioned. Sorry I didn't understand the bit about the kline, I got confused but I'm with you now. Thanks again

You don' t need to remove the cluster. Just look at this plug that goes to the radio

If they are missing or the plug is missing then you would need to buy the plug and run two wires from the cluster to the radio. What the pins are on the cluster side I have no idea.

Last edited:
You don' t need to remove the cluster. Just look at this plug that goes to the radio
View attachment 254173

If they are missing or the plug is missing then you would need to buy the plug and run two wires from the cluster to the radio. What the pins are on the cluster side I have no idea.
No worries. I've just checked and I'm missing those two wires so that must be the problem.

Now I'll need to figure out the pins on the cluster side.

Thanks for your help @B5NUT