Rain Sensor

pburv

Reaction score
Hi All.
I am in the process of retro fitting Auto Dim rear view mirror .
Whilst taking the back off the existing mirror I noticed that there are wires already connected to a rain sensor on the windscreen..
The question I am asking is it just a matter of coding the car via vcds to activate auto wipers??
My car is not fitted with auto wipers or lights..
Cheers Paul :chuncky:

Hmm good result that the sensors there !! - you'll need the light switch and wiper stalk too I would have thought to get both working best person to help is @DJAlix or @NHN

Reactions: pburv
Hmm good result that the sensors there !! - you'll need the light switch and wiper stalk too I would have thought to get both working best person to help is @DJAlix or @NHN
Cheers Rob.
I was more interested in getting the Auto mirror fitted Just thought coding the car for Auto wipers was a simple and cheap mod considering I thought that the sensor was already there..
I wonder if all A3/S3 models have the sensors fitted from factory?

Are you sure what you have is a rain sensor and not just a humidity sensor, which is fitted as standard with Auto Climate Control? Rain sensors normally only come fitted it you have factory Auto Lights / Wipers. Best way to tell:
  • Load up VCDS
  • Run an Auto Scan and see if "RLFS" shows up under your 09 Cent Elect details.
or
  • Load up VCDS.
  • Select 09 Cent Elect
  • Select Long Coding
  • From the Drop Down box in the pop up see if you can select RLFS

RLFS = Rain Light and Humidity Sensor (8U0-955-559-B)

No stalk needed for Auto Wipers & Lights, just a new light switch with an Auto position.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Are you sure what you have is a rain sensor and not just a humidity sensor, which is fitted as standard with Auto Climate Control? Rain sensors normally only come fitted it you have factory Auto Lights / Wipers. Best way to tell:
  • Load up VCDS
or
  • Load up VCDS.
  • Select 09 Cent Elect
  • Select Long Coding

No stalk needed for Auto Wipers & Lights, just a new light switch with an Auto position.
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I don't have access to vcds As to whether it is a humidity sensor or rain sensor I wouldn't have a clue..
This is a picture of the back of the sensor....
dsc00597-jpg.77402

dsc00590-jpg.77403

dsc00593-jpg.77401

Sorry about the poor picture quality...

No worries. This is a photo of a Humidity Sensor. You might be able to make out some part / reference numbers from yours to match up to this one. DO NOT remove yours in order to see. Although held in with a metal clip it's also secured by a gel pad which secures it against the windscreen, which is single use only and will 10000000000% need to be replaced if damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 462
No worries. This is a photo of a Humidity Sensor. You might be able to make out some part / reference numbers from yours to match up to this one. DO NOT remove yours in order to see. Although held in with a metal clip it's also secured by a gel pad which secures it against the windscreen, which is single use only and will 10000000000% need to be replaced if damaged.
OOPs I did remove it today??
How will I know if it's damaged??:sadlike:

Did you see a circle of gel stuck to the windscreen when you did, and if so was it damaged in anyway?

To be honest you would prolly be ok if you only have a humidity sensor as the "sensor" part is on the lower section and not the main body. If fitting a rain sensor then you will need a new one as there needs to be a solid and clear bond to the screen for proper operation.

Edit: The white'ish dot on my sensor body is a reflection. Infact... I just thought of another identification method. Look at the sensor from outside your car and through the windscreen. If you can see a clear / glass LED type dot on the lower section of the circle then you have an RLFS.

Attachments

• RAIN-LIGHT-SENSOR-SILICONE-PAD-FOR-TOYOTA.jpg
    RAIN-LIGHT-SENSOR-SILICONE-PAD-FOR-TOYOTA.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 850
Did you see a circle of gel stuck to the windscreen when you did, and if so was it damaged in anyway?

To be honest you would prolly be ok if you only have a humidity sensor as the "sensor" part is on the lower section and not the main body. If fitting a rain sensor then you will need a new one as there needs to be a solid and clear bond to the screen for proper operation.

Edit: The white'ish dot on my sensor body is a reflection. Infact... I just thought of another identification method. Look at the sensor from outside your car and through the windscreen. If you can see a clear / glass LED type dot on the lower section of the circle then you have an RLFS.
Cheers DJAlix.
No I don't have the extra clear dot on the windscreen..
Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.Thanks for clarifying what that component is.Looks like I will need to buy an extra cable from Kufatec to enable the Auto Dim mirror...:friends:

Cheers DJAlix.
No I don't have the extra clear dot on the windscreen..
Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.Thanks for clarifying what that component is.Looks like I will need to buy an extra cable from Kufatec to enable the Auto Dim mirror...:friends:
I did the same :) Just waiting on weather to get a little better before installing.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 492
I did the same :) Just waiting on weather to get a little better before installing.
Can I be a bit cheeky and ask how are you going to wire it up??
Could you possibly put up a wiring diagram??
Oh! and what part number the cable is...:whistle2:
Cheers mate...

Sure. Part Numbers in the photo :)

To install I was gonna follow the official Audi workshop diagrams. Will post up a dropbox link later.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 450
Sure. Part Numbers in the photo :)

To install I was gonna follow the official Audi workshop diagrams. Will post up a dropbox link later.
Your a star DJAlix....
QJ7Rcge.jpg

Reactions: DJAlix
Hey ladies and gents I really need some help please and will appreciate any thing you guys can help me with. I have a 65 plate Audi A3 saloon sline. I have the climate control sensor already installed and the dimming rear view mirror. I want to retrofit the ligh/rain sensor on my own aswell as the coding using VCDS. Please tell me which parts I will need. Rain sensor, light switch with auto option and 2 front fog light buttons . Will I need anything else a wiring loom? And gel pad?

Also how do I wire the the new light switch is there anything extra needed for the auto switch and also how do I take the light switch out correctly.please will appreciate your help

I don’t have auto headlights but when I go into a tunnel or it’s dark outside the lights on my dials dim down. I guess there must be a light sensor fitted. Would I be able to get auto headlights activated by simply changing the switch?

I don’t have auto headlights but when I go into a tunnel or it’s dark outside the lights on my dials dim down. I guess there must be a light sensor fitted. Would I be able to get auto headlights activated by simply changing the switch?
Interior ambient lighting is controlled via a sensor located within your instrument cluster. This sensor cannot be used for Auto Lights and Wipers.

• Load up VCDS
or
  • Load up VCDS.
  • Select 09 Cent Elect
  • Select Long Coding

Hi DjAlix
Just wondering if you can help me
I'm looking to get my Audi A3 8v s line retrofitted with auto lights as mine did not come with the comfort package.
Please could you possibly let me know what part numbers I would need for the switch and for the rain and light sensor and anything else I would require for this modification
Kind regards Chell

Hi DjAlix
Just wondering if you can help me
I'm looking to get my Audi A3 8v s line retrofitted with auto lights as mine did not come with the comfort package.
Please could you possibly let me know what part numbers I would need for the switch and for the rain and light sensor and anything else I would require for this modification
Kind regards Chell
If Alix hasn't replied yet?? Try putting an @ before members name and a drop down should appear with a list of members. Click on whoever you are trying to contact and he/she should pick message up. Like this @DJAlix
Hope it helps.
:thumbs up:

Reactions: Chell85
If Alix hasn't replied yet?? Try putting an @ before members name and a drop down should appear with a list of members. Click on whoever you are trying to contact and he/she should pick message up. Like this @DJAlix
Hope it helps.
Thanks @pburv did that work for you ...

• Haha
Hope it helps.
no he isn't here anymore

I'm not often on the forum much these days so missed that news. Sorry @Chell85
Is @NHN still here? Maybe he could help out.
Is there anyone that can help me with the specific part numbers I require for my 2015 Audi A3 s line
Auto switch for leaving/coming home lights and the rain/light sensor and any cable's/looms I'll need...
Anyone @pburv
Xx

These are part numbers I came up with on line. These might not be 100% correct so please don't take my word for it ....
8V0941531L ( Auto light switch )
8U0955559D ( Rain sensor )
Here is a link to Aliexpress which sells the complete kit. Again please don't take my word. They might not be correct.
Hope this helps you out :thumbs up:
Maybe @Sandra could point you in the direction of any site sponsors???

These are part numbers I came up with on line. These might not be 100% correct so please don't take my word for it ....
Here is a link to Aliexpress which sells the complete kit. Again please don't take my word. They might not be correct.
I'm sure I recently read a thread on here from an old post from @DJ stating that the part number ending D was not for my vehicle.. that's why I'm so confused and now I've just ordered a part on eBay ending in Q light switch I'm also sure I read someone else's thread that they also didn't need the senso as the newer A3 has already got a sensor and loom... I'm confused . I had to get a switch that had front and rear fogs and the auto as mine doesn't have it and the dimmer setting as I believe mine is halogen not Xeon...
Kind regards

I'm sure I recently read a thread on here from an old post from @DJ stating that the part number ending D was not for my vehicle.. that's why I'm so confused and now I've just ordered a part on eBay ending in Q light switch I'm also sure I read someone else's thread that they also didn't need the senso as the newer A3 has already got a sensor and loom... I'm confused . I had to get a switch that had front and rear fogs and the auto as mine doesn't have it and the dimmer setting as I believe mine is halogen not Xeon...
Kind regards
@pburv sorry I will send the images of what I have purchased ... I haven't bought a rain/light sensor or the cable/loom ... As I have no idea . I did find things on AliExpress but I didn't understand that either... So been scouring through other people's posts on the same retrofit I want ... I only want leaving/coming home lights soni need the auto light switch and the other bits but haven't got a clue and waited too long to get my dream car and didn't realize it didn't come with the comfort package as second hand ..
Chell

@pburv sorry I will send the images of what I have purchased ... I haven't bought a rain/light sensor or the cable/loom ... As I have no idea . I did find things on AliExpress but I didn't understand that either... So been scouring through other people's posts on the same retrofit I want ... I only want leaving/coming home lights soni need the auto light switch and the other bits but haven't got a clue and waited too long to get my dream car and didn't realize it didn't come with the comfort package as second hand ..
Chell
@pburv here is what I have purchased ... I believed this is what I would need..
Chell
Mine is the A3 s line 8v not 8p

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220201-012006.png
    Screenshot_20220201-012006.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20220201-012012.png
    Screenshot_20220201-012012.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
Here is a post asking about the same mod as you are wanting...
I'm afraid I don't know much more that can help you.:grumpy:
If you keep looking and asking on here I'm sure someone will help you out with the correct parts you need.
good luck:thumbs up:

@pburv can you tell me if I would need a cable for retrofit auto dimming rear view mirror in my 2015 Audi a3 8v sportback
I was under the impression that the 8v already had the required windscreen so I just assumed that all I needed was the mirror and coding as I have recently purchased the switch to have auto lights and I have also purchased power folding mirrors
So that's 3 jobs I've got planned oh and plus I need to sort my driver's door handle out as it's not letting me open the door from the outside ... Only the inside so don't know what's happened there but will hopefully do everything at same time ... Still waiting for parts haha .. just not too sure about the loom/cable and if I need to get one .
Kind regards
Chell

@pburv can you tell me if I would need a cable for retrofit auto dimming rear view mirror in my 2015 Audi a3 8v sportback
I was under the impression that the 8v already had the required windscreen so I just assumed that all I needed was the mirror and coding as I have recently purchased the switch to have auto lights and I have also purchased power folding mirrors
So that's 3 jobs I've got planned oh and plus I need to sort my driver's door handle out as it's not letting me open the door from the outside ... Only the inside so don't know what's happened there but will hopefully do everything at same time ... Still waiting for parts haha .. just not too sure about the loom/cable and if I need to get one .
Kind regards
Chell
Yes a cable is required to retrofit auto dim mirror. I sourced mine from Kufatec. From memory I think it was product code 40062 Your best bet is looking up Kufatec on line. You should find all the details you need.
I handed everything (mirror/cable) to my local garage who fitted it for me.
The product code for the mirror is 40152.
Found this which should interest you
Good luck with the install.

Reactions: Chell85
Yes a cable is required to retrofit auto dim mirror. I sourced mine from Kufatec. From memory I think it was product code 40062 Your best bet is looking up Kufatec on line. You should find all the details you need.
I handed everything (mirror/cable) to my local garage who fitted it for me.
The product code for the mirror is 40152.
Found this which should interest you
Good luck with the install.
Thanks @pburv I've sourced all the bits/parts now.
Even got a pair of dynamic turn indicator strip's for my car too.
Cannot wait .. I've spent a fortune in bits and a Ross tech cable so hopefully I will get these all done when I get some time off work x thanks again

Thanks @pburv I've sourced all the bits/parts now.
Even got a pair of dynamic turn indicator strip's for my car too.
Cannot wait .. I've spent a fortune in bits and a Ross tech cable so hopefully I will get these all done when I get some time off work x thanks again
No problems glad to help out :thumbs up: