Raising Headlight LED beam

SBJ

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to raise the beam position of my LED headlights. Auto levelling is working and no issues, I'd just like to raise them slightly as (to me) they were a little low. I know they are set from the factory and I've an MOT next month which may well change the height again, but from the photos, does anyone know what the two hex adjusters change? Or is this something I can do with VDCS? If my drive was level I'd play one night and inside the garage projecting onto the door doesn't offer much since its 15cms away from the bumper!

Thanks

IMG 9152
IMG 9151

On my wife's Golf 8 the dipped beams were 2 low and I found a post online that recommended turning the adjuster (looks very like the one in the front of your second picture) 2 full turns anti clockwise and it raised the beam just right and no flashing from on coming drivers.

Reactions: SBJ
Those two white(ish) hex nuts should adjust the headlight, one will do up/down, the other left/right. You should use VCDS as you have auto levelling lights otherwise, the lights may not learn the adjustment and go back to what they were. Do you also have adaptive lights (turn when you corner)?

Those two white(ish) hex nuts should adjust the headlight, one will do up/down, the other left/right. You should use VCDS as you have auto levelling lights otherwise, the lights may not learn the adjustment and go back to what they were. Do you also have adaptive lights (turn when you corner)?

I had adaptive xenon lights on my old A5 coupe but as far as I know my LEDs on the A6 are just standard and not adaptive (wish they were matrix!). So they are static aside from self levelling and according to the manual they raise at motorway speed slightly and respond to heavy breaking to keep them level.

I'd have thought the white hex adjusters should be sufficient to adjust them since the MOT testers won't be making any electronic (VCDS alike) changes for every modern car being tested that needs a tweak. The manual mechanical changes via the hex nuts are simply a baseline/datum for the electronics to do their thing?

I had adaptive xenon lights on my old A5 coupe but as far as I know my LEDs on the A6 are just standard and not adaptive (wish they were matrix!). So they are static aside from self levelling and according to the manual they raise at motorway speed slightly and respond to heavy breaking to keep them level.

I'd have thought the white hex adjusters should be sufficient to adjust them since the MOT testers won't be making any electronic (VCDS alike) changes for every modern car being tested that needs a tweak. The manual mechanical changes via the hex nuts are simply a baseline/datum for the electronics to do their thing?
Reasonably so yes, however adjusting them too far can cause issues, if you manually turn them too far a fault will be logged. The MOT testers adjust them and minor changes are fine but without teaching the car properly they can go back to what they were.
Either find a quiet, flat area where you can adjust them over a greater distance or wait for the MOT. You can ask them to adjust them up within spec.

Reactions: SBJ