Random cut outs no engine codes

mnemikeevans

Reaction score
Hi all.
So I’ve been have problems with my 2l TFSI QUATTRO A3 8PA.
mot randomly cuts out when driving. Suddenly it will lose all power and slowly come to a stop and cut out. 80% of the time I can leave it off for a few mins and then it starts and I can drive it again. No lights come up on the dash and all the lights etc work but it just turns over but won’t start unless it’s left for a bit. One time I had to get it towed to a garage as that was a time it wouldn’t start back up at all. That time the check engine light came on and there was a fuel error code and they changed the fuel filter. Thought it was fine but it’s just cut out again. Managed to start it and drive off after 10mins. It had a full service in august where it had new spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter. And this year it’s had a walnut blast, new cam follower, new high pressure fuel pump and new PCV valve. After doing some research could it maybe need a new fuel pump module? Or maybe fuel pump? I’m stumped and the garages don’t seem to know what’s up with it either. It drives fine when they have it and most of the time when I’m driving it but every now and then just cuts out.
Thanks.

Have you tried restarting with your foot down on the accelerator? This will flood the cylinders with air. If it starts fairly easily like this, you probably have a leaking injector causing over fueling.

Have you tried restarting with your foot down on the accelerator? This will flood the cylinders with air. If it starts fairly easily like this, you probably have a leaking injector causing over fueling.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I tried with my foot on and off the accelerator and neither mattered.

A few things spring to mind that might or might not relate to your vehicle. Dodgy crank sensor as these don't always flag faults, crud in your tank blocking up in-tank pump filter starving engine of fuel, intermittent fuel pump fault, wiring issue, injector and/or fuel pressure regulator but these should flag faults. If your not handy on the spanners yourself it sounds like this might cost to find the route cause.

A few things spring to mind that might or might not relate to your vehicle. Dodgy crank sensor as these don't always flag faults, crud in your tank blocking up in-tank pump filter starving engine of fuel, intermittent fuel pump fault, wiring issue, injector and/or fuel pressure regulator but these should flag faults. If your not handy on the spanners yourself it sounds like this might cost to find the route cause.
Thanks. I’m gonna go with changing the fuel pump control module first as that’s easy enough for me to do myself and I’ve read that that part overheating can cause cut outs. It’s going into the garage next week and they’re gonna have a look at it. Other things I’ve been researching are crankshaft sensor and low pressure fuel pump. I’ll keep this post updated in case anyone else has the same problem.

Hi all.
So I’ve been have problems with my 2l TFSI QUATTRO A3 8PA.
mot randomly cuts out when driving. Suddenly it will lose all power and slowly come to a stop and cut out. 80% of the time I can leave it off for a few mins and then it starts and I can drive it again. No lights come up on the dash and all the lights etc work but it just turns over but won’t start unless it’s left for a bit. One time I had to get it towed to a garage as that was a time it wouldn’t start back up at all. That time the check engine light came on and there was a fuel error code and they changed the fuel filter. Thought it was fine but it’s just cut out again. Managed to start it and drive off after 10mins. It had a full service in august where it had new spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter. And this year it’s had a walnut blast, new cam follower, new high pressure fuel pump and new PCV valve. After doing some research could it maybe need a new fuel pump module? Or maybe fuel pump? I’m stumped and the garages don’t seem to know what’s up with it either. It drives fine when they have it and most of the time when I’m driving it but every now and then just cuts out.
Thanks.
Look beside the battery and if there is another little black box attached beside it look inside and check to see if the bolts are tight , another Audi owner had that problem and it fixed it after he'd gone through every other possible solution hope it may help you

Nothing showing up on VCDS?

Just curious you don't have an issue with your radio cutting out do you?
Nothing come up with any error codes, but dash and engine would just die , but after checking all areas that everyone had suggested besides the little black box attached to the battery there are 2 bolts and found one had come loose so tightened it up and haven't had the dash and engine cut out. So if your been through all possible expensive things and still not I recommend that you check also check the wires coming off of the battery area it only takes one to be not fully attached and when the vehicle heats up it makes metal exspand

Nothing come up with any error codes, but dash and engine would just die , but after checking all areas that everyone had suggested besides the little black box attached to the battery there are 2 bolts and found one had come loose so tightened it up and haven't had the dash and engine cut out. So if your been through all possible expensive things and still not I recommend that you check also check the wires coming off of the battery area it only takes one to be not fully attached and when the vehicle heats up it makes metal exspand
It's more down to a poor earth than metal expanding. A lot of the time it's because of the basics as opposed to something technical