Random Loss of Pulling Power

sohailahmad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Apologies, I though instead of hijacking someone else's thread i start my own.

Audi A4 S Line B7 2.0 TDI 2007 89K miles

I've got a quick question hope you can all help, my car went limp a while back, since then its been very random with its low end power, something like 1 in 8 acceleration from standstill and the car would perform as normal, then 200m down the down as i slowed down then went to accelerate again it would go limp. I've now cleared out the EGR valve with the help of the "EGR clean" thread, but the car is still limp, though its now more like 50% where the car behaves normally and when it does it definitely feels better, but then randomly goes limp again. Also at about 40-50mph the car all of a sudden kicks in to life and drives normally again without being from standstill.
I have had it plugged in to a computer at my local garage and it did show the EGR malfunction with no other errors (pic of readout below).

IMG 3718

Now my question is, if the EGR error came on before i cleared it out, do i now need to clear the error before the car behaves 100% of the time or should it work straight after cleaning and the error should clear its self? Or does it sound like the EGR is knacked and does need replacing?

The large valve moves freely but the small one at the top only moves about 1 degree using my finger, is that normal? or should i be able to turn it fully?

Lastly is by driving the car in this state causing any damage? or is it ok to drive just without any low end power.

PS. Could it be anything else? Turbo perhaps or MAF sensor? I would love to get this fixed without having to spend money on unnecessary parts.

thanks in advance

Well based on the faults if you dont know this already here is the information.

P0403- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18): Malfunction

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Rough Idle Speed and/or Engine stalling
Loss of Power

Possible Causes
Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) faulty
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)

P0408 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too High

Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes

Wiring/Connectors from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212) faulty
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212) faulty
Possible Solutions

Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212)
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212)

Id personally say the EGR sounds faulty wouldn't surprise me if to be honest.

Thanks for the quick reply Giosabcsl!

Lots of useful information there, i did notice while cleaning the valve that the connectors had some oil sitting at the bottom of it, not sure where it came from as i couldn't see a source. Possibly from the EGR itself, i have since replaced the gaskets and seals.

To be honest i hope it is as simple as the EGR as i can replace that myself saving labour. Would the error clear itself or would i have to take it in again?

thanks