Random Shake/wobble when idle

SA1988

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an Audi A4 2.0 Tdi manual 2008.

When Idle the car will have a random wobble/shake.

First I thought it might be my flywheel but when I press the clutch down it makes no difference and theres no noise to go with shake.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does it cold and warm. I've noticed something else this morning which I felt the other day but thought nothing of it.

I was driving at 20ish mph in 2nd gear. The revs were sitting at about 1800 rpm and the car seemed to be sort of rocking back and forth. Sort of like a judder. Don't know if its related to the shaking.

I was thinking it was the Flywheel as mine juddered, but only when warm. Have you checked the engine mountings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I'll have to see if I can get the engine mounts checked over the weekend and put it on vcds. I originally thought it might be the flywheel but there's no noise and doesn't stop when the clutch is pushed down so I ruled it out

friends a3 used to randomly go juddery in neutral.. which after a few months progressed into getting stuck in reverse or a low gear and having to switch it off to take it out then turn it back on.. till one day it would no longer get out of reverse.. no sound to accompany, and that was his flywheel, so I would also agree with the above, likely your flywheel

very unlikely the flywheel. I am having the same issue (2008 2.0 tdi) and my clutch, flywheel, release bearing and slave cylinder have been replaced less than 3 months ago (sachs). what helped in my case was a thorough cleaning of the EGR valve and anti-shudder valve. there is still some vibration in the cabin, but not the ocassional wobble you talk about (which feels like your car is moved by the wind). I am thinking the mounts are going bad after 130000 miles (and counting fast), but the car drives like new otherwise, so I'm not worried. no oil leaks around mounts and no errors in VCDS.

clean the EGR and anti-shudder valve, change the oil (castrol edge) and the fuel filter!, measure the injector values and if everything is ok, forget about it. these engines are more or less bullet-proof and if you take good care of them, they'll run forever.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an Audi A4 2.0 Tdi manual 2008.

When Idle the car will have a random wobble/shake.

First I thought it might be my flywheel but when I press the clutch down it makes no difference and theres no noise to go with shake.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

hi did u ever manage to sort this issue as i might be having the same problem

I was thinking it was the Flywheel as mine juddered, but only when warm. Have you checked the engine mountings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi did you ever sort it my car shakes at idle only when engine is hot thanks