Rattle/ clunking

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Car has developed a rattle/clunking mainly noticeable on tick over but it stops when I put clucth in as soon as I lift off its back car had a new single mass clucth fitted In January any ideas what it could be

Gearbox... they rattle like feck with a single mass flywheel... its a feature

<tuffty/>

Is there anyway of solving it or do I just have to put up with it? It's had the conversion since before I got the car 2 years ago but never known it to be this loud

The fix is to use a DMF...

Balancing the engine helps to a degree but the function of a DMF is to help smooth the pulses of the engine rotation being transferred to the gearbox... with the gears in an unloaded state these pulses cause the gears the chatter as they have a degree of backlash...

SMF's don't have this damping effect and so they chatter...

The friction plate or to be more precise the springing of the plate can have an effect too as this is also designed to help dampen these pulses... as friction plates vary some SMF setups rattle more than others

<tuffty/>

Oh ok new clucth again then will have to put up with it for now tho cheers tuffty

I fit the single mass flywheel from darkside and Sach vr6 clutch myself. I'm not mechanic and mine is silent. When I 1st started the car it was so noisey I thought I had messed up. But within 5 min of idle it fell silent and has been for 12,000 miles. I checked my shaft for play on gearbox and was nice and tight. The gearbox has just done 181,000 but I swapped the fluid in the box at the same time I did the clutch

Mine had never been that noticable it has the valeo smf conversion and the service kit was fitted in January but just recently it's got loud I do plan on engine rebuild and hybrid route so will be changing back to dual mass as I don't want to spend a fortune on the car and it sound like a bag of spanners

Cheaper thing to check is the alternator belt and tensioner. I could be wrong, but it's far cheaper to try :)

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Cheaper thing to check is the alternator belt and tensioner. I could be wrong, but it's far cheaper to try :)

Why when it goes away with clutch in?

That's had a new one a few weks ago

Reactions: fanta