Rattle - near windscreen

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a rattle which seems to be on the drivers side close to the windscreen, A pillar or speedos.
Only occurs on a bumpy road and sounds like glass slightly rattling. Had a look everywhere and can't see where it is coming from.
Any ideas?

Chris

I am interested in this as I have pretty much the same noise from the same location. I can't see what it is.
Karl.

Try these:
- steering column trim (upper side); press down on it when you hear the rattling.
- fusebox cover (stuff a cloth inside temporarily to see if rattle disappears)
- dashboard grommets at the bottom of windscreen (a nightmare to track down). Try stuffing a cloth between the windscreen and forward most part of the dash to push the dash downwards as much as possible.

Sources of rattling can be hard to track down as sound bounces around inside the cabin. If it isn't any of those then try and see if the source might be somewhere else and simply reflecting off the speedos.

Might be broken glass in the demister ducting from a screen replacement.

Does it go away if you wind the window down? With rattles elimination is the key. Try 1 thing at a time to see when it stops, it'll help narrow it down more.

My money is on one of the speakers on the dash rattling. My centre one does it now and then, probably set off by the recent drop in overnight temps?

Does it go away if you wind the window down? With rattles elimination is the key. Try 1 thing at a time to see when it stops, it'll help narrow it down more.

Put the window down and its still there. I agree elimination is key.

My money is on one of the speakers on the dash rattling. My centre one does it now and then, probably set off by the recent drop in overnight temps?

It does seem like its coming from near the right speaker grille near the window. Doesn't go away when I tap it though. Hope I don't need to take half the dash away. Hate rattles!!!

Have you tried driver's air vent. If it moves freely up and down the little metal bars inside might worn down a plastic and rattle. Happened to me when I took my one apart. Ended up with new air vent. When you taking it out be careful and do not let a plastic bars that goes across go out their slots. Extremely hard to put all back together. Once you'll take it out check if you've got all four clips in the back that holds air vent inside the channel.

Have you tried driver's air vent. If it moves freely up and down the little metal bars inside might worn down a plastic and rattle. Happened to me when I took my one apart. Ended up with new air vent. When you taking it out be careful and do not let a plastic bars that goes across go out their slots. Extremely hard to put all back together. Once you'll take it out check if you've got all four clips in the back that holds air vent inside the channel.

I haven't tried that, will take a look tonight. Thanks

Reactions: bonifacy87
I am interested in this as I have pretty much the same noise from the same location. I can't see what it is.
Karl.

Let me know if you figure this out Karl. I'll do some major investigating over the weekend to try and suss it.

I had something similar and it was my speaker grilles. Holding a finger on them whilst going over the bumpy road proved that. I didnt need to have the stereo on either. Once I narrowed it down, I took the car to Audi (twice) to get it fixed and it is now rattle free :)

A little update on this -
I removed the fuse box cover, and also the 'leaf catcher' under the bonnet, as I know this was loose.
Been driving around and no rattle anymore so I assume it is one of these things.

Just put the fuse box cover back in tonight and will drive over the next couple of days to see if it comes back. If not then I assume it will be the other part.

Reactions: bonifacy87