Rattle on start up.

James 123

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently bought a 67 reg rs5, having owned a pfl Rs3. Knowing all about the annoyance of stone chips etc I thought I’d get ppf applied as soon as the local dealer could fit me in. So fast forward a few weeks and I got to pick my car up yesterday morning having been without it since Wednesday. When I was talking to the gent about caring for it etc and if there’s anything else I should know he mentioned that at start up there’s a substantial ticking from the rear. I automatically assumed it was like my previous car where it simply idled at higher revs for 30 secs or so before settling down and thought nothing else of it, but when he turned the car on to drive it out of the unit I could really hear it, I mean an actual loud ticking noise, not just a higher idle. I’m guessing because I’ve only ever started the car up from the drivers seat that I’ve been unable to hear this. I’ve tried researching this subject online but I can’t find anything definitive. Do any other owners hear this noise at start up? If so I’d be interested to hear what it actually is, if not does anybody with a mechanical mind know what it could be and if it’s a potential worry. I’ll try and upload a video as soon as it’s a reasonable hour, as even though my rs5 sounds like a tame pussycat compared to my rs3, i I still don’t think my neighbours would appreciate it at this hour ha ha. Thanks in advance for any input. James.

Quick update......I’ve now taken a video ( which for some reason I can’t seem to upload ) but the clicking now I’ve listened properly is coming from the left exhaust pipe? Does this make any sense to anyone? Thanks again. James.

Hi James,
I dont think that is an issue at least I hope not. I have the same but it was there when I bought it brand new 16 months ago and still happens when I first start the engine. Have no idea what it is though.

Thank you mate, I feel a tad better if it’s been happening on yours for over a year, as you suggest it’s unlikely to be an issue or something serious.

Hi all,
I recently bought a 67 reg rs5, having owned a pfl Rs3. Knowing all about the annoyance of stone chips etc I thought I’d get ppf applied as soon as the local dealer could fit me in. So fast forward a few weeks and I got to pick my car up yesterday morning having been without it since Wednesday. When I was talking to the gent about caring for it etc and if there’s anything else I should know he mentioned that at start up there’s a substantial ticking from the rear. I automatically assumed it was like my previous car where it simply idled at higher revs for 30 secs or so before settling down and thought nothing else of it, but when he turned the car on to drive it out of the unit I could really hear it, I mean an actual loud ticking noise, not just a higher idle. I’m guessing because I’ve only ever started the car up from the drivers seat that I’ve been unable to hear this. I’ve tried researching this subject online but I can’t find anything definitive. Do any other owners hear this noise at start up? If so I’d be interested to hear what it actually is, if not does anybody with a mechanical mind know what it could be and if it’s a potential worry. I’ll try and upload a video as soon as it’s a reasonable hour, as even though my rs5 sounds like a tame pussycat compared to my rs3, i I still don’t think my neighbours would appreciate it at this hour ha ha. Thanks in advance for any input. James.
Hu James. I have a 2011 rs5 and the noise Is perfectly normal. It takes about 20 seconds before it settles on mine. Donald.

Thanks Donald, once again that’s reassuring. I don’t suppose you know what the noise actually is by any chance? More out of curiosity now than anything.

Hi all,

Does the exhaust have a butterfly valve?

In my B7 RS4 once the exhaust got old the valves started getting rattly and would sound loose on start up and rattle, this would quickly disappear.