Real World Mpg of A3 8Y

KXL

Reaction score
I guess this may be the first of these mpg threads, but what are you guys getting in your A3s?
Could you kindly state engine/gearbox/trim and also type of journies done (eg...mainly city/highway/mixed/(A/B) roads (40-50mph/60-80kmh)
Anyone with 30TFSI MHEV care to share? Also good to know what other engine types are getting, even the S3s :)

I guess this may be the first of these mpg threads, but what are you guys getting in your A3s?
Could you kindly state engine/gearbox/trim and also type of journies done (eg...mainly city/highway/mixed/(A/B) roads (40-50mph/60-80kmh)
Anyone with 30TFSI MHEV care to share? Also good to know what other engine types are getting, even the S3s :)
I’ve had my 35 petrol S-Tronic S-Line since spring, during which time I’ve done about 1000 miles of mixed urban, extra urban and motorway and I’m averaging 43 mpg (from two fills, including running in to 700 miles) compared to my mk vi Golf which was averaging 37 (though that included 2 mile commutes, which the A3 hasn’t done yet. )

I have done around 9K miles with my 30TFSI MHEV stronic. Mostly city and motorway. My average consumption is around 41 mpg. I will attach a picture with the exact figure.

I’m getting 28.5 long term in my S3. Not that much worse than my mk7.5 GTI was.

I have done around 9K miles with my 30TFSI MHEV stronic. Mostly city and motorway. My average consumption is around 41 mpg. I will attach a picture with the exact figure.

d34bb43e3742fdfdb4697149f2d7a249.jpg

ive done 700 miles in my 35 tfsi manual and have averaged 38 mpg, pretty much all of that has been urban. Only really been on two motorway trips with it (more than a junction or two ) and then i got 48 mpg

35 TFSI Manual - done 3200ish miles.
On a trip to work (3 miles) I get from 32-40 mpg usually (spending on the weather and if I pay attention to the mpg!).
On longer trips on A roads and motorway, I usually see 45+ easily.

Reactions: Henno005
I’m getting 28.5 long term in my S3. Not that much worse than my mk7.5 GTI was.

Mix of motorway and city driving now, I’m getting 28.8 mpg in my S3
Done 1470 miles in it since end of April. Not looking good for my 5000 mile pcp deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the car will do what it says on the tin regarding mpg...but as most have said it depends on many factors to achieve this. So in the real world do not expect these numbers quoted by Audi to be realized.....anywhere btween 35-45mpg seems to be the average range.

30tdi saloon manual. Mostly A roads and Motorway.
3269B9E7 32E4 4053 A667 759092904D1A

Attachments

• 598CBE77-9EAF-460C-8897-0AE60E787844.jpeg
    598CBE77-9EAF-460C-8897-0AE60E787844.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: rvtb101 and DreamInCode
Mix of motorway and city driving now, I’m getting 28.8 mpg in my S3
Done 1470 miles in it since end of April. Not looking good for my 5000 mile pcp deal

Bro I know what you mean :D i did 9k out of 12k mile pcp deal and i got the car last december

Reactions: Q5 TRS
Bro I know what you mean :D i did 9k out of 12k mile pcp deal and i got the car last december

In my Tiguan lease I just handed back after 4 years I only did 17500 miles out of 40k.
They should take that into account lol after all it’s all vw.

20210615 151018

Mix of town and motorway driving, this is the best I've got after around 2000 miles.

40.7 MPG at 3500 miles so far - which is about 50/50 of town driving and motorway/dual carriageway (35tfsi).

35TFSI or 30TFSI?
Apologies, it's the 35tfsi manual. I generally do 30 miles per day, half of it town and half motorway.

I've done two fairly decent journeys up and down the country at 200 miles each which was mainly motorway so it's had a broad range of running.

8Y S3, I get around 24 and mostly country lanes in Shropshire, got it in Jan and done around 4K

A3 8Y 35 TDI automatic, on about 3.5k total miles, long term avr. about 58.1mpg (slowly creeping up), doing daily trips of 15-20 miles avr. 58-70mpg with most of the route via A1/motorways (keeping at 70mph~, stretch of 1-2 miles in urban areas). last fill up of full tank of fuel gave me 755miles on car cockpit display. mainly efficiency drive select, sometimes dynamic. 1 person in car, not much excess weight.

35 TFSI
A 2.8 journey to my work which consists of around 8 junctions/roundabouts I can get up to 36 if I really try. That’s usually without stopping the whole way. Normally I’m lucky if I get 30mpg. Pretty disappointed with the mpg to be honest. I came from a BMW M140 which had a 3.0 lump in the front and that got the same mpg through the town. I also had an A3 1.4 tfsi before which drover better and was also better on fuel. I bought this to save a bit of cash but I’m in the same boat except with a slower car! Totally defeats the purpose….

3D6E3F14 C5AA 4D65 A37F EB6982A61EA4

No complaints from me about the mpg
30TDi Saloon S-line. 60 mile commute daily mainly A roads and Motorway.

Attachments

• 8F561347-05BE-49CF-BAD7-24C430CD2890.png
    8F561347-05BE-49CF-BAD7-24C430CD2890.png
    699.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Wow
Reactions: DreamInCode
Did around 45mpg some freeflowing roads, some bumper to bumper traffic, and city driving. At one point on the said freeflowing roads even got 60mpg!
IMG 20210728 163809

Reactions: DreamInCode and AdamInKent
I also noticed running on higher RON petrol gives noticeably better MPG of about 15ish% more. Has anyone else noticed the same?

I also noticed running on higher RON petrol gives noticeably better MPG of about 15ish% more. Has anyone else noticed the same?
Yes I have on a previous car (Seat Ibiza with same engine). Not yet on the A3 as I just received it couple of days ago, and have no idea what petrol is in it. Like you, in my Ibiza, my usual Sunday (low traffic) journey from east to west London would yield usually 49-51mpg over more than 50 of journies each year. When I had Shell Vpower 99RON, it did the same journey showed 58mpg on the trip computer. Which is bang on 14-15% better mpg. There for the extra costs of the expensive fuel, just about almost makes it justifiable. On my Volvo it was only about 5% better mpg, so not worth the extra costs!

On a separate note, I take it that the mpg bar, after 40, the max is not actually 50mpg but more like 100? and the inbetween 'middle' bar between 40 and max is more like 75mpg? I'm assuming this as going downhill at 40mph mantaining speed, bar only went around just past the 'middle' between the two, and surely it could not have been doing 45 mpg going downhill. More like 75-80 mpg is more believable. Anyone know for sure?

More realistic one Stansted airpot to home (near Olympic village East London) covering both motorway, some town driving and some backroads (detour plus i got a bit lost despite Sat Nav as M11 was closed :( ). Not bad considering engine is still not run in yet only 341 miles! Now I've driven a 1.0TSI before on a diffrent car, and i feel that from 1.4 - 1.9k rpms, I can feel some 'assistance' in power, probably from MHEV. Feels more powerful than it's sprint time / power suggests. Was a bit disconcerting when going at motorway speeds, slight downhill, engine shut itself off (I know it's a MHEV quirk) for a good 15-20 secs!

Also anyone know what is that yellow circle icon next to seatbelt sign on dash?

IMG 20210804 083354

More realistic one Stansted airpot to home (near Olympic village East London) covering both motorway, some town driving and some backroads (detour plus i got a bit lost despite Sat Nav as M11 was closed :( ). Not bad considering engine is still not run in yet only 341 miles! Now I've driven a 1.0TSI before on a diffrent car, and i feel that from 1.4 - 1.9k rpms, I can feel some 'assistance' in power, probably from MHEV. Feels more powerful than it's sprint time / power suggests. Was a bit disconcerting when going at motorway speeds, slight downhill, engine shut itself off (I know it's a MHEV quirk) for a good 15-20 secs!

View attachment 240660
Passenger Airbag I think - It normally comes up with text telling you about airbag - When you drive off it should go out

View attachment 240660
it’s the warning light for the Audi Pre Sense system - comes on when the ignition is first switched on and should go off once engine has started

Reactions: Henno005 and AdamInKent
it’s the warning light for the Audi Pre Sense system - comes on when the ignition is first switched on and should go off once engine has started
Yes correct pre sense - It's because I always get Passenger Airbag is Switched on over this light when I first turn ignition on I thought it was to do with that

Hello diesel cars, I'm a petrol pootling along the A12 doing 30-50mph
IMG 20210808 210222

But at the end of journey of just shy of 14 miles, I'm still a petrol.... MHEV does work (had many more than 10 sec coast (engine off) approaching a red light), as a lighter Ibiza 1.0TSI 110 I had previously would manage just shy of 60mpg similar conditions (which is already really good)
IMG 20210808 212109

On a separate note, I noticed that my Ibiza with the 1.0TSI 110 EcoTSI's redline was 6000, it seems this one is 6500, guess they must have done several other tweaks!

Reactions: DreamInCode and Ludus
New S5 in dynamic /sport mode as a comparison- not bad all things considered :congratulatory:

London to Edinburgh 4 in car with luggage, cruise control on 72 - 76 mph where possible, running new E10 95RON...surpassed 1k too, so no more babying engine
IMG 20210919 185355

Had the car a month and covered over 3500 miles, 47.1mph - motorway and country lanes.

Gets charged a few times a week at work.

Dynamic and Sports mode for 90% of the time as its fully financed company car so I'm not paying for anything

Audi A3 Sportback TFSI e S Line

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210920-005949_myAudi.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-005949_myAudi.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I do the same 340 mile round trip most weekends. Pretty well all motorway. 65 - 70 on the way up ( traffic ) and 70 on the way back. Cruise control whenever safe to. Oddly - some days I average 36 mpg for the trip other days 45. For the life of me I cannot explain the difference.

I do the same 340 mile round trip most weekends. Pretty well all motorway. 65 - 70 on the way up ( traffic ) and 70 on the way back. Cruise control whenever safe to. Oddly - some days I average 36 mpg for the trip other days 45. For the life of me I cannot explain the difference.
There are fair few things that can affect MPG to various degrees. Traffic condition, ambient air temperature, head/tail wind etc. to name a few.