Really quick tyre pressure question

Dave90

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive changed my wheels on my A3 3.2Q from 17s to 18s (genuine audi BBS CH/Pescaras) on 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1s.

What tyre pressure should i be putting in? Im currently running 32psi all round as per tyre fitters reccomendations for my old mk5 GTI on the same size tyres/wheels.

Had a quick look on google and on the R32oc and theyre all recommending anything from 38-44 psi which seems far too much compared to the 32psi my tyre fitter recommended (i accept the A3 is heavier than the GTI but it seems a bit much?)

Any helps appreciated, i dont want to over or under inflate my tyres and ruin them early on :)

Mines the diesel engine but I run 38 in the front and 36 in the rear. I am probably going to increase that to 40 front and 36 rear...32 is way too low imho.

Cheers buddy it looks like im off to the petrol station on my way out then, out of interest is yours Quattro and does this make any difference due to the weight of the rear axle?

There should be a sticker in owner's manual or behind the door which has wheel sizes and pressure suggested.

Reactions: s3_trev
There should be a sticker in owner's manual or behind the door which has wheel sizes and pressure suggested.

There is mate but its for the original wheels not the new ones, ive gone with Sayams advice and put 38 front and 36 rear :)

32psi's to low. I had to play around significantly when I changed from F1's to Michelins. I found the F1's worked perfectly on the manfacturers recommended (always the best place to start) but I needed to lower the front pressures by 2 psi from recommended to get the same balance. So long story short F1's go with manufacturers recommended. Ok so mine is an S3 but same size rims and tyres, Front 40, Rear 36. Presently at 38's all round.

Cheers buddy it looks like im off to the petrol station on my way out then, out of interest is yours Quattro and does this make any difference due to the weight of the rear axle?

Mine isn't quattro so you may want to up the rear pressure but my figures will certainly give you a better starting point compared to 32 all round :)

mines 42 front 36 rear made such a difference as i had mines before at 34 all round.

IMO
36-38 front
32-24 rear
As a rule of thumb. Softer widewalls may warrant higher pressure, stiff sidewalls are more forgiving to lower pressures.

The rear has much less weight, IMO needs less pressure. More pressure in lower profile, but more than 40 is going to reduce the contact patch with the road on 40 profile.

Again, IMO, lots of ideas and opinions out there.