Rear Anti-Roll Bar upgrade advice

A_Davison

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Hope everyone and your families are all well in these crazy times!

Been flirting with the idea of a new rear ARB for some time and after some extensive research, finally going to take the plunge.

It seems either the 034 motorsports / H&R seem to be the ones to get, with the H&R being a slightly thicker bar but seemingly no adjustability.

Leaning towards H&R as it’s almost half the cost of the 034! Question is, with it being a thicker bar has any got any experience of it.. I don’t want to introduce any unpredictable oversteer or take the balance of the car too far the other way due to an overly stiff bar.

Thank you

Last edited:
I concur with your reasoning hence why I didn't go for the h&R bar. Super pro has a cheaper adjustable bar in 22mm.
I would only use the bigger bar as a matched front and rear set,

Would the H&R rear work better on a PFL though ?

034 bar was my choice on FL RS3.........it has the 'Zerk' fittings too, so easy to re-grease periodically.

It's around £335.

It also has 2 settings (81% and 102%) and already is powdercoated black.

ive just bought the h&r bar and fitted on my driveway this week. let me know if you want any help/info. was also very cheap. Was £175.

ive just bought the h&r bar and fitted on my driveway this week. let me know if you want any help/info. was also very cheap. Was £175.
What do you make of the H&R bar, was there a noticeable improvement in terms of handling etc.? I'm flirting with the idea of upgrading my rear one... cheers!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have a PFL but the rear anti roll bar absolutely transformed the handling. Much better turn in and a more balanced car now. I went with H&R. £175 from AKS tuning. Easy to do on your drive if you have some tools. :)

Reactions: devonpinall, Beebee-one, millsy75 and 2 others
I have a PFL but the rear anti roll bar absolutely transformed the handling. Much better turn in and a more balanced car now. I went with H&R. £175 from AKS tuning. Easy to do on your drive if you have some tools. :)
What’s involved, Jim?

You just need to unbolt the rear exhaust hangers to lower exhaust to make room to manoeuvre the bar in. Fitting the new bar is the reverse process of removing the old. Leave the clamps a little loose and then tighten them when you drop the car of the jack so you don't have any pre load.

The stock end links were too short for use on the stiffer setting of my super pro bar so I replaced the end links as well.

What’s involved, Jim?

I didn't have to touch the exhaust. Just undid the bolts at the end of the lower arms so i could drop them out the way and the bar wiggled out quite easily. Just watch the plastic levelling arm which is on one of them. Apparently they can snap easily but mine was fine. It just pops off :)

Reactions: Marky79

Hi mate, I bought this last week and is being fitted this week. You haven't noticed any issues with the back end being unpredictable then? Is your car lowered? Mine is stock ride height PFL.

Thanks.

Mine is lowered on springs. Car feels very balanced and predictable. It is on PS4S tyres though. Was a bit more lively at the back when i still had the Pirellis on :)

I had the H&R roll bar fitted by the guys at AKS Tuning today, which took about 30 mins in all. The difference was noticeable immediately on the way back. The car feels more pointed when turning in and it significantly reduces body roll onto the rear outside wheel on bends. Everything just feels a lot tighter, planted and balanced. Would highly recommend getting it done, really good value for money

Reactions: Cheggers, jimojameso and Marky79
All this talk had me order H&R last night, I think I’m gonna just use rent a ramp and have a go at the weekend. With regard to preload. I take it I can lower the car to the ground and crawl under and tighten the brackets for the bushes up?

All this talk had me order H&R last night, I think I’m gonna just use rent a ramp and have a go at the weekend. With regard to preload. I take it I can lower the car to the ground and crawl under and tighten the brackets for the bushes up?

Yes. But UP or DOWN doesn't matter just make sure wheels/tyres are level across the axle.

And pre-grease the bushes with a HD grease for example:

Grease

Yes. But UP or DOWN doesn't matter just make sure wheels/tyres are level across the axle.

And pre-grease the bushes with a HD grease for example:

Ah right, well it’s a two post lift, so the wheels will dangling equal anyway, right? Bushes are the H&R composite and allegedly don’t need greasing, any chime in on this?

Having fitted a few rear H&R anti roll bars to different VW/Audi cars.
They are indeed a dry fit bush and I’ve never experienced any noise with any of them.

Reactions: jimojameso and Marky79
Having fitted a few rear H&R anti roll bars to different VW/Audi cars.
They are indeed a dry fit bush and I’ve never experienced any noise with any of them.
Ideal, cheers mate.

Reactions: Marshy
Ah right, well it’s a two post lift, so the wheels will dangling equal anyway, right? Bushes are the H&R composite and allegedly don’t need greasing, any chime in on this?

Agree, as Marshy says zero grease on H&R (I had to grease 034 ARB's) and for sure with a two post lift it'll be an easy job

You will like and enjoy the on-road results
:thumbs up:

Last edited:

As Marshy says. The H&R bushings have a Teflon / Urethane coating to combat any noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

034 rear bar is on offer this month

H&R arb, fantastic change on the road on my PFL, will see how much difference it makes on the track when they reopen.

Reactions: millsy75
I had the H&R roll bar fitted by the guys at AKS Tuning today, which took about 30 mins in all. The difference was noticeable immediately on the way back. The car feels more pointed when turning in and it significantly reduces body roll onto the rear outside wheel on bends. Everything just feels a lot tighter, planted and balanced. Would highly recommend getting it done, really good value for money

100% agreed,had mine fitted at AKS as well last month on pr-facelift well worth the 3hr round trip with the added bonus of the journey home difference noticeably straight away ,can’t think of any negativity at all it’s gotta be a must ....

Reactions: millsy75
Haven't covered many miles in my PFL since H&R rear roll bar fitted but turn in does seem sharper. Possibly less body roll also.