Rear brake / abs fault mot fail

v4rley

Reaction score
Just got myself a nice B6 avant for a fixer up for my new ‘daily’ unfortunately only a FSI, but very high spec so all good

Anyway onto the problem, so it fails on several brake issues on the rear. So my plan of action is to do discs and pads, and replace n/s rear caliper but maybe both.

My quandary is that the vcds scan shows the wss is for the right side which if I’m correct is the o/s which is the opposite to the fault on the mot.

Anyone got any advice or have I got the best plan of action so far, for new pads / discs / caliper and see if that sorts and go from there ?

[photo=medium]10097[/photo]
[photo=medium]10096[/photo]

I don't understand why people put a car in for an MOT with 3 illegal tyres and the ABS warning light on. I take it you have bought It cheap because the previous owner couldn't be bothered to fix it?.
The VCDS fault refers to the wheel speed sensor on the OSR and is not something the MOT station will check, They just see the warning light on the dash and that's an automatic fail. The Nearside issues are physical problems with the disc, pads and calipers, and not linked to the fault light.
It needs 3 new tyres, discs pads and 2 new calipers on the rear, probably an OSR wheel speed sensor and I would bleed the brakes all round whilst you are replacing the rear calipers anyway as it sounds like the car has been neglected a lot.

Reactions: DieselJake
Thanks for your reply have been away for a couple of weeks.

Yes it’s actually crazy some of the cars that are driven around with complete neglect. Although in fairness the to rear tyres are actually good tread but have slight damage to the side walls.

It’s a well spec’d with front and rear sensors, full electric seats and folding mirrors. I have proceeded any further with it yet as I’m currently getting my b7 sorted for selling but will get some new calipers on order and see what’s what

Just about to try this job myself. Took the rear wheel off today, (which I had to use a sledge hammer to knock off the spindle, first time ever in taking a wheel off in over 30 years!!) to have a good look and spray WD40 everywhere. The job looked tricky. The question I have is it necessary to loosen bolt 2 in the image? It looks impossible to get any Torx bit on that bolt as part of the suspension is directly over it leaving no access. Secondly the point where the sensor cable routes through the body shell seemed a tad tricky to access. I didn't fancy sliding under the car without using additional axle stands. But my question is how difficult is it to feed the cable through at this point and secure the grommet in place when the car is just raised on an axle stand?

Attachments

• a4cab-52.png
    a4cab-52.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 76
Ignore my post. No idea how, but I posted it to the wrong thread!!!

Reactions: desertstorm