rear brakes on a quattro - caliper bolt issues

matttrs

Reaction score
I'm normally quite adept at changing things like pads and discs, but on the Avant the rear caliper bolts have rusted nicely, the 8mm hex socket has rounded the bolts off, very easily I might add!
this is a huge pain in the butt.

whats best now?
should I just take it to a garage and get them to deal with it, will they have issues doing it?
the room to get to the bottom bolt is pretty ridiculous, I can only just get my ratchet in there.

I've never had an issue myself, but I know they can be stubborn. Unless you've got some decent tools and a ramp, and some method of applying heat it might be better to take it somewhere, rather than risk rounding or shearing it off :faint:

I will I think, One has already rounded though, what do they do, weld to it, or grind it to a nut shape?

Depends how bad it is I guess, does a Socket still grip it? I'm sure if they get physical with the oxy-acetalyene they'll be able to free it off.

img0159rr.jpg

I had a problem with this as well, they are torqued up VERY heavily, my Audi tech friend said that they remove the lower strut bolt which gives you more room, put the 8mm socket in and then heat it agressively with the oxy acetylene....

I did the same but just used LOTS of WD40 and a butane gas blowtorch to heat it up, along with a BIG extension handle on the end of my ratchet.... if you have the top bolt out then moving the carrier back slightly (hammer) allows you to get the disc in a bit easier.....

Just make sure you get the right rear discs, Euro Car Parts gave me the wrong ones (too thick) which caused all manner of problems as well....

Hope this helps...

are you talking about the slider bolts? I thought these were 7mm hex.

right, i had this same problem with my MK3 Golf GTI. Same brakes all round.

I got these out with a wrech, it just dug into the bolt and eventually went. It ripped into the nut loads, but you dont have much choice. get some new ones on order.

These are the sliders when off... im sure they wont look this bad though!!

CIMG2764.jpg

This is the tool i used, i know its for plumbing...... but it worke.. :)

get_image.php

Last edited:
How did you get on with this? did you take it to a garage? Turkster is right, you can just about get the disc on and off without removing the brake pad carier, Ive always done them like this, saves a lot of time, Same with passats and mk4 golfs.

The main problem is when people try to undo the hex bolts they think they are in far enough and turn and start rounding them off inside then they are f**ked, whenever i do them i put plenty of WD on them for 10 mins then heat it up with a diy burner then put the hex key inside and hammer it in as far as it will go, like i say i do this every time and have never had one round on me.

but if it does happen the carriers easily come off with two bolts, then just put the carrier in a vice with some moles grips and do the same as i stated before and they should pop out nicely.

How did you get on with this? did you take it to a garage? Turkster is right, you can just about get the disc on and off without removing the brake pad carier, Ive always done them like this, saves a lot of time, Same with passats and mk4 golfs.

2 of us cant be telling porkies, just undo the sliders and take off the calliper and bash the old disks off and wire brush all the crap off and put in new disks! job done!