Rear camera

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello!
Just taking delivery of my new-to-me (May 2016) RS3 to replace my 2L A3TDI !
The car meets my criteria in exterior and interior colour, I do wish it had a rear camera and electric seats! Can someone tell me if the camera can be retrofitted and programmed by the driver as it can in Mercedes Benz? I appreciate nothing can be done regarding seats (why are pretty well all RS3s not fitted with electric adjustment?).
Thanks for any help!

The Search button be your friend! Is a thread and guide in the A3 8V forum.

SEARCH

I don't know the details, but I would imagine it is possible to program a camera. I would of thought the harness is there and then it would just require VCDS for the MMI to receive the signal. Worst case scenario you have to run a camera cable to the back of the MMI.. So it would be possible. You can retrofit cameras that fit into the number plate light cavity properly, but they lack in quality.. Get an Audi camera and you will be away.

I am assuming you have the Super Sports seats? You probably don't know because you can't spec one online anymore, but you can't have electric SS seats. The electric option is only available with the comfort seats (I know which I'd rather have, not that you have to adjust the seat often anyway and its weight saving ;-) ).

The SS seats come with the electric lumbar support as standard though I assume?

I don't know the details, but I would imagine it is possible to program a camera. I would of thought the harness is there and then it would just require VCDS for the MMI to receive the signal. Worst case scenario you have to run a camera cable to the back of the MMI.. So it would be possible. You can retrofit cameras that fit into the number plate light cavity properly, but they lack in quality.. Get an Audi camera and you will be away.

I am assuming you have the Super Sports seats? You probably don't know because you can't spec one online anymore, but you can't have electric SS seats. The electric option is only available with the comfort seats (I know which I'd rather have, not that you have to adjust the seat often anyway and its weight saving ;-) ).

The SS seats come with the electric lumbar support as standard though I assume?

Yes, I went into the A3 forum and several posts on the procedure - it does not though look as straight forward as the Mercedes retrofit! There is an outfit that offers a fit, but unfortunately I am in France, they are in the UK! I shall plod on though and come up with something, although doubt I have the patience to finish! I cannot understand why someone would spend tens of thousands of Euros speccing an RS3 and skimp on something useful for the sake of a few hundred Euros! I am resisting asking how to fit the self-parking that the Skoda Octavia RS has an option for 600€..! (yep, I love technology!)

I did wonder about the sports seats as I never saw any RS3s with electric seats, but just put it down to perverse logic by Audi, much like Porsche not including a radio in the GT3 because it is unnecessary! Yes, the supports are electric, so thanks for clearing this up for me. But you say 'Super Sports Seats' The spec sheet on my car just has 'Sports Seats' I hope this is not another thing the PO has skimped on.. see picture - what are these?

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-8v-reverse-camera-high-diy-retrofit-guide.269160/

All the information needed, including a step by step guide is in the above thread.
Thanks DJAlix. I read through the various posts and saw this then came across the vid from Advanced Incar which I thought was perhaps an easier option, but have not heard back from them despite leaving a message with their 'sales' dept...so I might go with your guide now. My only problem will be with coding. And I bet Audi France will be a pain in the backside when asked.

Last edited:
Thanks DJAlix. I read through the various posts and saw this then came across the vid from Advanced Incar which I thought was perhaps an easier option, but have not heard back from them despite leaving a message with their 'sales' dept...so I might go with your guide now.
No problem and not really my guide, I just contributed to it. Don't want to take the credit for the hard work of the authors :)

To be honest its not a major project to take on yourself as long as you can source the parts and have access to VCDS or alike. It's just time consuming due to all the trim removal works involved.

Yes, I went into the A3 forum and several posts on the procedure - it does not though look as straight forward as the Mercedes retrofit! There is an outfit that offers a fit, but unfortunately I am in France, they are in the UK! I shall plod on though and come up with something, although doubt I have the patience to finish! I cannot understand why someone would spend tens of thousands of Euros speccing an RS3 and skimp on something useful for the sake of a few hundred Euros! I am resisting asking how to fit the self-parking that the Skoda Octavia RS has an option for 600€..! (yep, I love technology!)

I did wonder about the sports seats as I never saw any RS3s with electric seats, but just put it down to perverse logic by Audi, much like Porsche not including a radio in the GT3 because it is unnecessary! Yes, the supports are electric, so thanks for clearing this up for me. But you say 'Super Sports Seats' The spec sheet on my car just has 'Sports Seats' I hope this is not another thing the PO has skimped on.. see picture - what are these?
View attachment 99292

Those pics you have are of the Super Sports Seats

In the brochure the standard seats are referred to as "RS3 Sportback Sport Seats" while the ones you want are "RS3 Sportback Super Sports Seats" - clear as mud!

Also confirm that forward/backward & up/down of these is manual but lumbar/side bolsters are electric from the little d-pad next to the height lever.

R

Reactions: AudiNutta
I have just completed retro fitting a reversing camera. Since the Mrs got her new car I have had reversing camera envy, kind of kicking myself I didn't spec it, so after a bit of research thought I could retro fit a genuine Audi one, I mean how hard can it be.... install was pretty straight forward but getting the camera module to accept coding not so much, ended up sending the module to Djalix who sorted it out. Anyway all fitted and working, huge thanks to Alex for all the help with the module.

Reactions: DJAlix
Well done!
Will you share what the parts cost?
I have not heard from the crowd that say they can do it, so will do as you did.
I agree re the camera envy! But if you want worse, take a test drive in an Octavia RS and try out the self parking..!

Parts were around £250, that was the module, loom and camera, you can also get a bracket for mounting the module, I haven't yet.
I had problems getting the module to accept coding but Alex was a huge help.

OK, that is good - the price I mean.
I will get on with it when the novelty of the car wears off - I have 'been to the shops' four times today - terrible how one's memory fades with a new toy...

Reactions: UV-RS3
Ha baz was just telling me about you fitting one too Colin well I guess it's you.