Rear clunking noises on RS3 with coilovers

silverpiston

Reaction score
Good evening,

If someone has lowered his RS3 or installed coil-overs, I wish to ask if they have clunking noises in the back when hitting medium bumps, pottholes ? When going through sharp turns it does a screeching metal noise in the boot when drving on small bumps, or like a vibrating coil. It comes from the rear - inside of the steering curve. On big bumps it does a clunking noise on both side. Part from this - all is OK - not a single noise on highway etc...

I've got a second hand RS3 with KW coil-overs so I didn't install myself.

The plastic protections has been removed also, it's not the 8P rattling issue.

The car is not heavily lowered, there is no damage or rubbing of metal parts on the chassis I've double checked. The wheel arches are not damaged. I've changed the ARB bushings as a precaution also. The rear springs are under compression when the car is lifted.

I really don't understand please help. Is is the rear coils rotating ? Where to investigate ?

Thanks !

BLUEY has KW Variant 3 shock absorbers and springs but mine are not coil-overs on the rear.

Front and rear like so:

KW on the Front RS3 KW on the Rear RS3

And totally quiet... :racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: silverpiston
Hello,

Thank you very much for your responses ! Good to know that there is some support here.

I think it's best to have a mechanic have a look, never dealt with coil overs...

Reactions: 45bvtc
i think theres a rear subframe deadset from tyrolsport to remove the shifting on the subframe, creating noises

Reactions: silverpiston
Someone helped me to finally found the culprit, wish was a simple issue.

Since it is lowered with a wide rim, it is hitting a plastic fender wish generates a metal clunking noise.

Nothing serious, just need to be extremely careful for bumps or higher the car with springs settings (Sadly I'm on max height already).