Rear discs and pads

2017 s3 ! Anyone had these fitted at a dealership lately ? Any idea on the cost ? Thanks !

You need them already on a 17 plate?!?!?

From the Audi site:
Brakes

I was going to get my rear brakes done for the same reason and was quoted £380. ( 2016 15k miles) My car sits around for a few days at a time so they rust. Car goes in for the service and was advised they may need looked at next service. I concluded I will change the whole lot when the pads are totally worn.

How on earth, i've done 32k miles and original discs and pads still look fine!
I do occasionally use my handbrake to slow the car to make sure the rears are engaged as under normal driving they do not grip sufficiently enough to totally clear the rear discs.

Yes already :rage: only done 19000 miles and they are scored to hell :disrelieved: you think I should ask for a bit discount :relaxed:
Something seriously wrong there, I bought a big heavy automatic Carlton years back off my dad, he'd had it since new, think it had two sets of pads and one set of disks by the time I old it with 80+k on the clock.

I'm no model of virtue when it comes to this kind of thing, but I've found out over the years (and with cars as diverse as a teeny weeny Fiat 500 and a sodding great C5 allroad) that it pays to give the brakes a really good workout from time to time - the kind of workout they rarely if ever get in day-to-day driving.

That's usually consisted of braking really. hard from sixty(ish) four or five times in quick succession. Not to a standstill, but down to walking pace, and then accelerate and do it all over again. Obviously you need a clear, dry and straight(ish) road, but you stand on the pedal as hard as you dare without making the ABS cut in. It'll make the brakes really hot, and they'll smell really hot too, but you aren't asking any more of them than they're designed to cope with.

What it'll do is clear any glazing off the pads and any **** off the discs themselves, and they always felt better after doing it. The bite was noticeably keener, and they felt stronger too.

It's kept the rear discs on the 8V I've had for the past couple of years nice and smooth, with no evidence of the scoring that often seems to be the result of the kind of weedy gently-to-a-halt braking that driving instructors and skinny vegan eco-types with hipster beards and recycled sandals advocate.

In suppose it's an Italian tune-up the other way round, as it were, but I've never owned a car that didn't feel better for having one of those now and then.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlS3BE
I found in 4 Audi’s the rears pads are very soft and wear very quickly considering the rear does very little of the braking.
Discs can get scored/pitted if not used a lot or a bit of grit stuck between the pad and disc. Very easily done with these open wheel and caliper design in modern cars.

Car in my local dealership today for noisy rear brakes car only done 17400 miles 14 months old the face of the rear discs is all corroded and scored audi said this is not covered under warranty the pads and discs aren’t even worn just not working properly looks like outer pad is not braking on disc possible the pad is seized on the slide quoted £435 to replace them!! I think a phone call to audi customer services required anyone had anything like this before??

Car in my local dealership today for noisy rear brakes car only done 17400 miles 14 months old the face of the rear discs is all corroded and scored audi said this is not covered under warranty the pads and discs aren’t even worn just not working properly looks like outer pad is not braking on disc possible the pad is seized on the slide quoted £435 to replace them!! I think a phone call to audi customer services required anyone had anything like this before??
6 months or 6000 miles is the warranty on brakes.
I tried with a car with less than 12k under a year. 4 warped disc and they said the terms and conditions are clear. They wanted £1200 for full set of disc and pads.

No worries think it’s shocking!!! Put me off buying another Audi dealerships are shocking but I suppose there all the same!!! Once they have got your money

Mines a PFL and with 21K on the clock I had the resr discs and pads replaced with brembo. I supplied and had Audi labour for £110. 5K later disc faces are perfect. Seems Audi OE discs are not good at all.

Mines a PFL and with 21K on the clock I had the resr discs and pads replaced with brembo. I supplied and had Audi labour for £110. 5K later disc faces are perfect. Seems Audi OE discs are not good at all.

Another vote here for Brembo. Plus the hubs come pre painted and so far have seemed to last.

I stuck genuine pads in though can’t tell any difference

Reactions: Leevr