Rear door stuck locked

TwedA4

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got a issue with the rear drivers side door on my 03 avant, it wont open!

When operating the central locking (when it works), i can feel/hear it locking and unlocking but i cant open it using the inside or outside handles. I've tried both handles while locking an unlocking quickly but had no joy. Even gave it a rather large boot from inside but still, no bueno.

I've had this twice before and it resolved it'self after a week or so but it's been stuck for months now and would fail MOT under corrosion as they cant inspect the seat belt anchor.

Anyone come across this problem or have any suggestions? Obviously the least destructive approach is preffered but if the doorcard needs to die, i've got a dremel with cutting disk... lol.

Cheers.

Cable to handle mech is broken or disconnected, or possible the door catch has partly failed

You need to get the door card off from inside, but may have to remove the seats for better access due to the door not opening

Hi guys,

Got a issue with the rear drivers side door on my 03 avant, it wont open!

When operating the central locking (when it works), i can feel/hear it locking and unlocking but i cant open it using the inside or outside handles. I've tried both handles while locking an unlocking quickly but had no joy. Even gave it a rather large boot from inside but still, no bueno.

I've had this twice before and it resolved it'self after a week or so but it's been stuck for months now and would fail MOT under corrosion as they cant inspect the seat belt anchor.

Anyone come across this problem or have any suggestions? Obviously the least destructive approach is preffered but if the doorcard needs to die, i've got a dremel with cutting disk... lol.

Cheers.
hello my nephew had the same problem on A6 and the child lock was on so he could not open the door from the inside, there has been other posts about this and it would be worth checking them out, I do not know how he overcame his as he is statined in Germany with the army and my brother asked me did I have any ideas, apart from the child lock being on as to why you canoot open the door from the inside, sorry could not help any further but hope you sort it soon cheers from Colin.

could you not try partly remove the rear door card so you can get your hand in

RESOLVED!

Turns out I have some dodgy wires between the B pillar and the door. Will have to strip it and repair the broken wires.

RESOLVED!

Turns out I have some dodgy wires between the B pillar and the door. Will have to strip it and repair the broken wires.
good news at leart you can fix it now, and yes it would fail the MOT if the door would not open, this was my nephews problem, cheers from Colin