Rear LED taillight retrofit

George Crawley

Reaction score
Hi there ,
Just wondering if anyone with a B8.5 Saloon with factory LED taillights could post an adaptaion map of their BCM2 module (Address 46) with security Access code 16017. This would need to be a UK or RoW spec vehicle.
I'm looking to retrofit rear LED taillights to my saloon and have trawled the internet looking for information but it all seems to be for pre-facelift or Avants.
I want to install these as if they were from factory so will be repinning both ends of each harness with the help of some wiring diagrams. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Well after a lot of time and effort I got these working on my facelift A4 B8 Saloon.

There really didn't seem to be much information regarding this retrofit, especially for the facelift saloon model and so if there is enough interest I may write up a guide on how I fitted these.

They are aftermarket lights with the dynamic sweeping indicators which do look really good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_215942.jpg
    IMG_20200528_215942.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 164
Reactions: All-rod, AndreBerty, Eldeano2 and 2 others
To save you getting swamped with PMs you may want to post where you got the lights from, if they were plug and play and if not how you modified the adapter wiring. Also any VCDS coding required.

Reactions: George Crawley
Good point, thank you. The lights were from BM-Town who have an eBay page. If you have factory LED's then these are plug and play, however, some extra wires will need to be pulled through the grommet as these lights have a connection between them, I'm guessing it is for the indicator synchronisation. I had factory halogens and so this was a fairly in depth retrofit requiring a lot of wire extensions as well as sourcing new plugs, because halogen and LED tail lights have different plugs. And of course if you are upgrading from Halogen to LED then coding with VCDS will be required.

I may get around to writing a full writeup, but I never got this working as factory, and used a couple of bridges to get full functionality as some Adaptation channels simply would not take the coding, and I was happy to bridge owing to the fact these LED's operate at much lower wattage than my Halogen equivalents.

Just had a look at the BM-Town site. £250 for the pair is what i have seen...is that what you paid?

Any idea if these are original Audi headlights that have been converted to allow the sweep?

Looks great, BTW.

Indicators seem to sweep a little faster than those that i've seen on cars with the factory option, although that doesn't detract, for me.

Cheers man. I actually paid £395 on their eBay site, maybe the cheaper ones are slightly different? Or I got a bad deal .
These are definitely aftermarket lights and not Audi, think they are "SONAR" branded.
The sweeping is maybe a little fast but looks fine when just one indicator is flashing.

No, that is just the design of these lights when just the side lights are active. The fog light lights up part of the brake light on these aftermarket units.

Reactions: All-rod