Rear light - condensation

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
Had my rear light changed at Audi garage 6 months ago and recently noticed a lot of condensation in the rear light.

Took it back to Audi and they now tell me the light was damaged as a result of closing the boot too hard?

I Find this explanation hard to believe - why would it only affect one side - other side is completely fine.

Come home and tried to have a look at it myself and now I'm stuck.

The plastic screw seem to be on so tight the screw driver has damaged the bolt and I can't seem to get the ****** thing off.

I was thinking about upgrading my light to the Facelift tail light but I don't think Ill be able to do anything until I can get this ****** light off.

Any suggestions?

See pictures below

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    740.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 742
10mm socket i think it is that fits

Reactions: Marek196c
Thanks, ill give that a go.

Anyone know where I can get some facelift rear lights with looms?

For the prices people ask for second-hand LED rear lights, IMHO you're better off buying new.
Euro Car Parts sell the OEM rear lights (Magneti Marelli brand but in fact marked Automotive Lighting) ) that are the same as Genuine, just make sure you buy them whenever ECP have a discount code on offer, which is nearly all the time,LOL.
Be careful though as they sell 2 different qualities of the lights, the Magneti Marelli and 'aftermarket' , so make sure you buy the right ones!
I bought a complete set of the Magneti Marelli lights from ECP and with discount it cost me around £155, wiring loom was about £40 on top of that bought via eBay.
You can do the job without the loom but I didn't want to start cutting the original wiring around.....
The best mod I've done to my car, by far!

I would tell them if "closing too hard" the reason of the issue that mean that you fitted it incorrectly, if was fitted correctly there is NO chance to tailgate will touch the tail light. So instead of getting your money spent on the lights they should replace on their costs.
If you need I got my old wrapped ones to go (pre FL):
20170423 173524

For the prices people ask for second-hand LED rear lights, IMHO you're better off buying new.
Euro Car Parts sell the OEM rear lights (Magneti Marelli brand but in fact marked Automotive Lighting) ) that are the same as Genuine, just make sure you buy them whenever ECP have a discount code on offer, which is nearly all the time,LOL.
Be careful though as they sell 2 different qualities of the lights, the Magneti Marelli and 'aftermarket' , so make sure you buy the right ones!
I bought a complete set of the Magneti Marelli lights from ECP and with discount it cost me around £155, wiring loom was about £40 on top of that bought via eBay.
You can do the job without the loom but I didn't want to start cutting the original wiring around.....
The best mod I've done to my car, by far!

BIG discount this w/e and I would just buy a new unit as well, as above.

Thanks for the advice.

It is definitely something I am going to do then. I agree it looks a lot nicer with the facelift rear lights!

Had a look at Euro Car parts - they have a discount but I can't find any of the Magneti Marelli Lights on their website (only the after market ones)

I have found some on eBay but as I understand you correctly there is a big difference in quality with these lights?

Should I avoid eBay and wait for the ECP? Anyone post a link to them?

Thanks!!

check also CP4L as they are basically a copy of ECP but for a bit less.

Thanks for the advice.

It is definitely something I am going to do then. I agree it looks a lot nicer with the facelift rear lights!

Had a look at Euro Car parts - they have a discount but I can't find any of the Magneti Marelli Lights on their website (only the after market ones)

I have found some on eBay but as I understand you correctly there is a big difference in quality with these lights?

Should I avoid eBay and wait for the ECP? Anyone post a link to them?

Thanks!!

Just remember that if you put your car registration number into the search box on the ECP website it will bring up the WRONG rear lights, it will show you the old-fashioned lights that you currently have and not the later LED ones!
You want to search for the lights using the model search function and I just put in 2010 A3 Sportback and it brings up Magneti Marelli and 'aftermarket '.
I have no experience of the 'aftermarket' ones but I have never experienced anything decent that's called 'aftermarket ' either, to me it's either OEM or Genuine or nothing at all.
In fact to me, 'aftermarket' = rubbish!
Buy cheap, buy twice as the saying goes.
Yes, ECP does have a few different eBay user ID's I think Car Parts Saver, Car Parts Bargains and also possibly Car Parts 4 Less are all ECP?
You can save a few pounds by buying from them via eBay but from personal experience when something goes wrong (I had a pair of badly cast brake discs that I needed to return) it was hassle to sort out and return them.
I couldn't return them to my local ECP branch; I had to get a returns number from them in Wembley and for them to email me a postage label then of course I had to wait for the items to be returned and a refund issued.
In all a return took almost 7 days.
If I had bought them at a local ECP it could have been sorted with one visit to a branch.
I've just had a look at the current ECP discount code and note that it's 'up to' 57% off, a full set of the Magneti Marelli LED lights will still set you back £207.38 even WITH the current code applied.
This isn't as good as their offer last summer when I bought mine......
Fitting LED rear lights to the Sportback takes years off the car and I can't recommend them highly enough, it changes the looks of the car massively for the better.

With the 13% discount code it comes down to £173 at cp4l currently for Magneti Marelli rear lights set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fact to me, 'aftermarket' = rubbish!
If you say so, but what about the aftermarket coilovers, induction kits, radios, from makes like pionner, sony, K&N, H&R?? Still rubbish?

Yes, ECP does have a few different eBay user ID's I think Car Parts Saver, Car Parts Bargains and also possibly Car Parts 4 Less are all ECP?
Yes, they probably are... Illuminati confirmed ? xD

@MA3TDIQ anyway there are visible cracks? in fot just check the seal on back of light, probably positioned wrongly, but as said still should be their job, not yours.

If you say so, but what about the aftermarket coilovers, induction kits, radios, from makes like pionner, sony, K&N, H&R?? Still rubbish?

Of course not, I think you are confusing aftermarket and 'aftermarket'.
Most things (in my experience anyway) labelled as 'aftermarket' usually mean a very poor copy of OEM , often not even fit for purpose.
It's a sad fact that enough people will buy this sort of rubbish for ECP to even stock 'aftermarket' quality parts.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have managed to find a set on car parts for less for 207 quid.

@Marek196c I haven't managed to take the light off yet.. I tried with a flat head screw driver but the light seems so tightly put on I think I may have damaged it. Mayb Ill try again with a socket to get the light off.

I agree - if applied properly the light should never get damaged from just closing the boot. I think they are trying to avoid paying out- ****** garage...

They quoted me over 200 quid to get one light replaced - ridiculous.

Anyway I have bought an adapter from eBay and the lights from ECP- hopefully I manage to get the lights off ok.

TBH I doing difference by aftermarket, OEM quality and not OEM quality, as well upgraded. e.g. my coolant pump was upgraded quality, instead of plastic internals, using alloy internals, with extended 4 years guarantee (meyle HD).

Just received my rear lights - just waiting on the loom and then I can install.

Just a quick question - how do I know the lights are definitely Magneti Marelli? They came in an official looking box but the box was slightly opened. Is there a sicker on the lights to confirm they are the brand?

Just received my rear lights - just waiting on the loom and then I can install.

Just a quick question - how do I know the lights are definitely Magneti Marelli? They came in an official looking box but the box was slightly opened. Is there a sicker on the lights to confirm they are the brand?

This may sound incorrect , perhaps even illogical, but the Magneti Marelli units are not marked thus.
I purchased 4 Magneti Marelli LED lights for my car from ECP and they arrived in sealed boxes.
The lights themselves are actually marked Automotive Lighting ,by way of the distinctive 'AL' logo visible on the large boxes in the picture below, the same brand as the (old style) lights that came off.
I've got the boxes that my lights came in handy, I'll see if I can post a picture......

Last edited:
IMG 0581

These are my Magneti Marelli lights as purchased from Euro Car Parts , the lights themselves are marked 'Made in Poland'.

@Nessy Thanks for sharing, I have the same boxes and indeed the lights do say made in Poland!

Looking forward to putting them on my car when I receive the loom - hopefully tomorrow!

You'll be going out at night just to see the lights on!!!!
I know I did, in fact still do,LOL.
LED number plate lights are another must-do once you've got the LED Sportback lights on IMHO.

Damn it! You guys are making me part with my hard earned cash on a 11 year old ! Done the footwell, puddle and warning lights, LED interior, LED license plate and boot lights, projector Xenon in line and now tempted by this and chrome pedals and I still haven't taken it to the body shop yet for fixing various dents and scratches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marek196c
So I have completed the retrofit and I have to say the lights look 10 times better - particularly in the dark!

I Had a lot of water in my light! See the video below! Was one the seals that hadn't been put on properly and was now damaged!

I have one odd thing that was picked up by my girlfriend. Every time I put the ignition on in the car the lights flash a couple of times at the back - only seems to be the outer light tubes. Any ideas why this is? Coding issue? See video..

(argh the video isn't uploading...)

So I have completed the retrofit and I have to say the lights look 10 times better - particularly in the dark!

I Had a lot of water in my light! See the video below! Was one the seals that hadn't been put on properly and was now damaged!

I have one odd thing that was picked up by my girlfriend. Every time I put the ignition on in the car the lights flash a couple of times at the back - only seems to be the outer light tubes. Any ideas why this is? Coding issue? See video..

(argh the video isn't uploading...)

Upload video to YouTube and link here. Should do the trick.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...l-summary-of-information.208169/#post-2082099

Scroll to post #37; it's a coding issue.
As standard with each turn-on of the ignition the bulb monitoring system will send an electrical pulse to the lights to check that they are working , this is the flickering that you see on the LED tube part of the lights.
With 'normal' bulbs we don't see the flicker, it's only apparent to human eyes when LED bulbs are used.

Reactions: MA3TDIQ
Amazing! Thanks Nessy -helped me a lot!

All working fine now. Only one thing which slightly annoys me but I think it may just be specific to my car.

On my left rear light there is a slight gap between the car and the light - noticeable only when looking at it very close. The right rear light seems perfectly positioned.

Is this something I have done incorrectly with the installation or is it to do with the light? I can't remember my other light sticking out..

See pictures - Two are of the sticky out light and one is the good one..
IMG 1792
IMG 1791
IMG 1790

Quite glad I managed to get this retrofit to work, as I def agree, it makes the car look so much newer!

Any other retrofits that are easy to do with VCDS? Starting to get a feel for it now:)

Quite glad I managed to get this retrofit to work, as I def agree, it makes the car look so much newer!

Any other retrofits that are easy to do with VCDS? Starting to get a feel for it now:)

Footwell and puddle lights! See my post history on how it's done with cheap Chinese kits

I would like to give it a try but mayb slightly beyond what I can do myself. I do have VCDS but I would be worried about taking door trims off etc..

I would like to give it a try but mayb slightly beyond what I can do myself. I do have VCDS but I would be worried about taking door trims off etc..

I thought the same but it's not that hard really. Just time consuming

I sort of had the same issue with light fitment but not as bad as that....
The wiring adapters are fairly long and I found that somehow one was preventing the light from sitting squarely on the bodywork.
I removed the offending light and gently re-positioned the wiring into the sort of void below and carefully refitted the unit.
Don't be tempted to just tighten the screw-thing holding the light to the body, it's only plastic...
I found that a combination of gently pushing on the light unit and tapping it and then tightening up the screw thing got it to fit perfectly.
A bit fiddly to do but time well-spent.
I'm sure yours will respond to similar treatment, just be careful when removing the light initially as those 2 plastic 'pegs' on each side of the light unit that fit into the bodywork look like they'll just shear off at the slightest opportunity!
I found a plastic kitchen spatula (carefully) shoved in there was a good tool to use to ease those pegs out!

I sort of had the same issue with light fitment but not as bad as that....
The wiring adapters are fairly long and I found that somehow one was preventing the light from sitting squarely on the bodywork.
I removed the offending light and gently re-positioned the wiring into the sort of void below and carefully refitted the unit.
Don't be tempted to just tighten the screw-thing holding the light to the body, it's only plastic...
I found that a combination of gently pushing on the light unit and tapping it and then tightening up the screw thing got it to fit perfectly.
A bit fiddly to do but time well-spent.
I'm sure yours will respond to similar treatment, just be careful when removing the light initially as those 2 plastic 'pegs' on each side of the light unit that fit into the bodywork look like they'll just shear off at the slightest opportunity!
I found a plastic kitchen spatula (carefully) shoved in there was a good tool to use to ease those pegs out!

That's why always have the tools at hand. Courtesy of @FredrikA3 http://www.lightnings.dk/tools_en.html