Q5 Rear-light Failure

newbieboyy

Reaction score
My 2018 Q5 (just under 11 months old) has been repeatedly showing rear light failures lately and I have noticed that I am losing all lights on the boot lid.
I took it into Audi a while back and they said there was nothing wrong with it but tonight I again noticed it was off and all my rear lights bar the bumper ones were not working.

Has anybody had this before?

TIA

Last edited:
No problems with my 2018 model Q5 rear lights, so I would definitely get Audi to check yours again.

Reactions: newbieboyy
........same here. I even set the rear D.R.L to work the other day.

Reactions: newbieboyy
Ah thanks!

I have also noticed if I press unlock, the bumper lights flash, if I press lock, the tail gate lights flash.. how strange

Ah thanks!

I have also noticed if I press unlock, the bumper lights flash, if I press lock, the tail gate lights flash.. how strange

As a matter of interest, where are you based, because the bumper lights on UK spec Q5 do not illuminate as they are just reflector lenses.

Then, unless Audi have changed the spec, the reflectors in the rear bumper definitely do not illuminate.

They must have changed the spec. I have brake, side, indicator and reverse in my bumper!

Attachments

• DC162AF3-A867-4629-B036-B0446BEE93F2_1_201_a.jpeg
    DC162AF3-A867-4629-B036-B0446BEE93F2_1_201_a.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 265
They must have changed the spec. I have brake, side, indicator and reverse in my bumper!

I must apologise, as I’ve just checked my bumper reflectors, and they incorporate both the rear fog lights and reversing lights, all of which illuminate, however, there are definitely no normal rear lights, brake lights or indicator lights in these assemblies.

I must apologise, as I’ve just checked my bumper reflectors, and they incorporate both the rear fog lights and reversing lights, all of which illuminate, however, there are definitely no normal rear lights, brake lights or indicator lights in these assemblies.

Ahh I think they are backup in case of main light failure as mine flash with indicators.

As an aside the fault was found by Audi Assistance, there are two micro switches that detect when the boot is shut. One triggers the “boot open” warning on the dash, the other detects if the boot is open and enables the boot lights. That is the one broken!

Thanks for the update, and hope the fix can be done quickly.

Fingers crossed, Audi Assistance are actually coming back tomorrow to fit it for me at home, so I can't really fault them yet they have been brilliant and just sorted it no questions asked. Hopefully it won't chuck it down!

I had the same failure on my 2018 SQ5 in the summer. Sorry I didn’t see this thread till today. I was driving home late at night and my dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree warning that both my rear light clusters had died. As you say I didn’t realise that the bumper has a fully functional set of rear lights that kick in if this happens. My dealer found and fixed the issue in less than a day, glad to hear your Q5 should be fixed soon, seems like a very small part has gone wrong with a big impact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro