Rear reversing camera

STmichael

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anybody’s reversing camera flicker when it first comes onto the MMI? After the initial flicked the picture is stable. Just wondering if I may have a potential issue or
If it is just part of the ‘A3 experience’

I didn't notice that it flickers, but maybe because when I first engage R, I look at my mirrors first, judge my turn point when reversing, before looking at the display to see where the curb is. Will have a look next time on purpose on the display first.

Mine lagged yesterday and the video suddenly jumped which luckily I hit the brakes before I hit the parked car. It reminds me of how things run on my old iPad , I’m sure the processors that Audi have used are not up to the job

In the 8V platform the cameras were traditional Video which connected direct to a video in put on the MMI system. On the 8Y it’s all changed. Video is sent over IP / VLAN to the cars CAN Gateway and then routed to the MMI. A lot of the functionality is actually IP based so there is tons of data being fired around the car. Packet loss and bandwidth seem to be issues in these cars :(

Reactions: DreamInCode
I have now looked on purpose and mine doesn't flicker or jump or lag. Might be something that may happen in future

Reactions: AdamInKent
Are your cars up to date? There was a software update that specifically mentioned the reverse camera

As up to date as it was when I bought it. I’ve paid more attention to it and when I said flicker it is more like the white balance sorting itself out until it settles. It only takes a split second but definitely noticeable.
I am disappointed by the rear camera tbh. The definition and the clarity of the picture is not a scratch on the golf I had.
In fact although I really like the car and so far (touch wood) it has been hassle free (apart from AA but that looks like the phone rather than the car) I feel as a complete car the golf was the better car of the 2.

OK so yesterday when I was doing a 3 point turn to go the other way after coming out of a parallel parking spot, the reverse camera lagged quite a bit, had to use the old school mirrors to make sure! I only noticed it lagged as there was a cyclist, and now you see it, and then it disappeared!

OK so yesterday when I was doing a 3 point turn to go the other way after coming out of a parallel parking spot, the reverse camera lagged quite a bit, had to use the old school mirrors to make sure! I only noticed it lagged as there was a cyclist, and now you see it, and then it disappeared!
Hey bud, have you got the latest software updates? The lag was supposed to have been addressed.

Hey bud, have you got the latest software updates? The lag was supposed to have been addressed.
If you mean going to the dealer to get it updated, the no I have not. Might wait to do that together when / if the SOS ping update comes out. Not too keen on going to the dealer tbh, as besides this one off lag (happened once in maybe a hundred times) and the same areas SOS ping, I fear that once I do get to the dealer for the updates, I will get all the other gremlins/problems most A3s are facing here. Eg..I'll make things worse..

If you mean going to the dealer to get it updated, the no I have not. Might wait to do that together when / if the SOS ping update comes out. Not too keen on going to the dealer tbh, as besides this one off lag (happened once in maybe a hundred times) and the same areas SOS ping, I fear that once I do get to the dealer for the updates, I will get all the other gremlins/problems most A3s are facing here. Eg..I'll make things worse..
Fair point makes sense, my second car had more problems than the first (probably due to it having more recent updates). From what I remember you're fairly local to me right? In which case avoid Audi chingford! I would never go back to those guys.

Reactions: Mastachaz
Fair point makes sense, my second car had more problems than the first (probably due to it having more recent updates). From what I remember you're fairly local to me right? In which case avoid Audi chingford! I would never go back to those guys.
Oh no, that's the one I wanted to go to, as it's the nearest, maybe I will try one of the W London ones! Thanks for the heads up.

Oh no, that's the one I wanted to go to, as it's the nearest, maybe I will try one of the W London ones! Thanks for the heads up.
I'd avoid West London Audi... They failed to install any of the licences after the recent update which meant I had no drive select, no cruise control, no maps, no apple car play... Was without the car for the weekend while they re-did the update.

From what I remember you're fairly local to me right? In which case avoid Audi chingford! I would never go back to those guys.
I'd avoid West London Audi... They failed to install any of the licences after the recent update which meant I had no drive select, no cruise control, no maps, no apple car play... Was without the car for the weekend while they re-did the update.
Sooo...are there any Audi dealerships based in London/Greater London that people did NOT have a bad experience with? Or finding those are like finding an A3 8V without any electronic gremlins?