Rear Screen Heater Timer

coach

Reaction score
Hello

Been a while since I've been here but thought it the best place to get initial help. Went out in the car this morning while it was still frosty, first time this year. Had the rear screen heater on and it seems like it is only lasting 2 minutes before it turns itself off and I have to keep turning it back on again. Its a long way from defrosting the screen before it turns off. Is there a timer within the settings in the dash that can be extended so it stays on longer. I'm sure in the past it stayed on until I actually turned it off.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

How good is your battery? The reason I ask is that I have noticed the last couple of times it has been frosty that on my C7 (which has stop-start) that if I turn the HRW on while I am scraping the ice off the car and also have the fan running to defrost the windscreen that the HRW turns itself off. I can only assume that the car is detecting that the alternator is not delivering enough charge to power everything having just started the car and switches things off selectively. Might be a similar issue with your car

Battery shows 100% on the display. Everything else is working fine, fans, heater for the car, heated seats everything. The car is booked into the dealers on Tuesday so should have a fix then, hopefully

Got the car back yesterday, turns out it was a faulty Alternator, it wasn't communicating properly or something. Will be checking it out this morning to see if the rear heater stays on all the time now.

Anyone with the same model car got heated seats, if you have both front heated seats on and you use the heated rear screen does it stay on until you turn it off or does it turn off after a short time (10 minutes for example)?

thanks

OK, Tried it. Doesn't matter what I do the rear heater turns off after 10 minutes. Tried it with the only thing turned on & with one or both heated front seats and lights everything and the result is the same - 10 mins and it switches off. I'm sure prior to the fault it would stay on until it was either turned off manually or you turned the ignition off. Can anyone confirm this is the standard or a problem or not?

thanks

SORTED. Managed to find my original handbook which says depending on outside temperature, a quick touch of the button will run the rear heater for between 10-20 minutes. If you want the rear heater to remain on all the time you have to press the button for longer that 2 seconds. I'll try that next time.

Still turns off after 10 minutes even if I hold down the button. I'll have to wait to see when the temperature is closer to freezing if it stays on any longer or even stays on all the time like it says in the book.

That's it proved fixed. -2 degrees this morning, long press of the button and the rear window heater stays on for longer than 20 minutes & if you turn the ignition off then back on within 15 minutes the heater is still engaged. Just like it says in the book.

Reactions: Markjb and RoyC