Rear Subframe / Axle creak query / A4 B5

bkr

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Please could I ask some advice?

My beloved A4 that Ive had for 16 years is creaking from the passenger side of the rear sub frame which was all replaced last year with new bushes etc.. (the torsion bar broke on the old one and thankfully is all still intact on this one)

Ive always serviced & done whatever work was needed over the years, but this one has stumped me. It only appears when Im going right with decent camber (ie speed round a roundabout etc..) Im wondering if/how it could be fixed as its not the shocker or springs that are making the noise. Im hoping there isnt something broken in there. A friend had a look says its all safe but will most likely just get noisier, I wish there was a grease port near the culprit area!

Im unsure whether to repair or finally part with it, I have this dilemma every few years & then and have always decided on keeping it as its such a lovely drive. The value of a 23 year old Audi A4 even though its in fab condition is a mystery to me, cant find any elsewhere to gauge a rough value.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Audi A4 B5 1998.jpg
    Audi A4 B5 1998.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 175
It sounds to me that your B5 is well worth saving, considering how well you have taken care of it up to this point. Don't give up! You will get the issue sorted out. We have to keep our B5s going.

Have you replaced the track rods and stabilizer bar links. It is possible that the creaking noise could be coming from a bushing in one of those parts. And you are confident that it is not a worn shock or broken spring that is causing the noise?

Thanks for your reply mate, thats given me a bit of a boost. I do hope I can get it sorted, with cars of this age theres always something round the corner and over the years Ive had it Ive alway managed to get it sorted & find 'that part'. The rear subframe may need replacing (again) which as much as it is frustrating and expensive for me, finding one is a challenge, I could be wrong though, I just hate it when something isnt right.
The local garage that has always been good with me, has said that there's an issue with the axle, its there now so I cant see till Monday to fully understand what he means as its not obvious when looking under it. He stressed that its safe to drive & would pass an MOT as the bushes are all new etc.. and it drives as it should, its just the creaking on the corners that is frustrating. Ill ask if he's checked all of the other links etc... Im sure he has but good to tick all the boxes. Ill update if theres any purposeful news.

Hi folks, an update;

This is how I can best explain whats going on with the axle creak/noise. Just collected from the garage & it turns out the new bush is rotating a little inside the axle/cup area, hence the creak.

The diagram best illustrates this. Im told its safe & will pass the mot as everything is intact, its the thought of it getting noisier thats frustrating.

Have any of you come across this type of problem before, and if so how did you work round it please?

Attachments

• Untitled-1-01.jpg
    Untitled-1-01.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 120
Hi there - just read all the posts above - i had this issue on a 2000 plate VW Bora. I bought 2 x new genuine bushes from VW. Getting the old bushes out was a pain - ended up with an air chisel and had to destroy the old bushes to get them out. The new bushes were installed using some threaded bar and some large washers - not to bad with some lubricant to help them in. I read that you'd previously had the rear beam replaced with new bushes - were they genuine? I only ask as the ones i installed on the Bora were tight and any movement would have been in the rubber bonded part of the bush - as designed and not movement in the metal outer part of the bush in the metal axel housing. Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply, its something I genuinely hadn't considered, to my detriment.

I asked the garage that replaced my axle last year, if they used genuine bushes and they hadnt.

Im waiting for an accurate quote for genuine/fitted, as I dont believe that its the axle thats at fault, from your reply it makes sense that the bush on that side to be the culprit, changing all for genuine makes sense to me. An expensive issue, given how much labour time goes into swapping them, Im loathed to chase up another axle again when this 'could' sort it (fingers crossed)

Hi there, no problem glad the info was of some help. When the bushes failed on the Bora it was more noticeable on the the drivers side - as well as a creak there was a knocking as the bonded part of the bush had failed causing the inner metal part that the mounting bolt goes through to hit the metal outer part. I believe the creak was due to the fact that the force on the bush was now in multiple planes due to the failed bonded rubber inner. If you're in contact with the garage that refurbished and fitted your rear beam i would just check with them that they didn't excessively clean out or 'ream' out the bushing holes on the beam before they fitted the original replacement bushes. My concern would be that if the beam bushing holes are now a slightly larger diameter than they were originally then even fitting genuine replacement bushes would result in the same failure again and the only solution would be to source a new (second hand) rear beam again.
Regards
Andy

Yes, very much so thanks. Its good to have alternate viewpoints to consider, as it sounds a very similar if not identical.

Ill be sure to raise that with the garage, I need to know that as vital information before they do anything, Im really hoping its just a matter of a substandard non-gen bush and no machining of the axle took place :blink:

(Will update, just need silence from the back end of the car, Ill be apprehensive till a good few months have passed & its still silent)

Hi BKR, Have you managed to get anywhere in resolving your creaking rear beam?
Regards
Andy

Hi Andy, not yet mate, although I am pricing gen bushes up with the garage for fitting very soon. Ill let you guys know how I get on, praying that solves it & its not another axle as I cant keep this up.

Hi BKR - did you ever get to the bottom to the creaking rear beam? Just interested to know if it was the bushes? Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

No news yet, Im not working at the mo so Ive shelved the repair. I was quoted between 120-150 for gen bushes fitted, which is reasonable. As they said its safe, but potentially noisy (not at the mo thankfully) its next on the list.

Hi Andy,

An update, I had the bushes changed for genuine parts yesterday.

All good so far, quiet/firm as to be expected, hoping this is how it'll stay :friendly wink: