Rear window washer not squirting! Sportback

daz5182

Reaction score
is this a common problem?

What shall i look for to fix it?

Thank you

Darren

will be your hose in the rear hatch always leak split or leak, common fault to be fair, get it sorted before you soak your wiper motor.

More likely you just have grit in the jet/squirter. Poke a needle into it and that should sort it.

Very common for the washer jets to block up.....as below,have a look at the nozzles and clear them with a needle,as that costs nothing!

My rear washer wasn't working either. I removed the washer nozzle and I could see the water shooting out away from the car so I knew it was the nozzle and not a hose line etc. After putting the nozzle back on I could see it had actually split and the water was just running down the side of the car. Bought a new rear washer nozzle and it's working perfectly now:

$(KGrHqFHJEoE913Dt66fBPh,7k7!8!~~60_35.JPG

My rear washer wasn't working either. I removed the washer nozzle and I could see the water shooting out away from the car so I knew it was the nozzle and not a hose line etc. After putting the nozzle back on I could see it had actually split and the water was just running down the side of the car. Bought a new rear washer nozzle and it's working perfectly now:

$(KGrHqFHJEoE913Dt66fBPh,7k7!8!~~60_35.JPG

Same happened to me think it cost about £8 or something for that tiny piece of plastic.

I try not to use mine as trying to force water through when frozen on the last car had soaked the curtain airbag,rear seat belt,then also had popped off in the boot causing knackered wiper motor and got the tailgate sensor wet through which needed replacing as it kept saying my boot was open and the alarm was going off randomly

I take it you've topped up the main reservoir? On mine the rear washer stops before the front when the level gets low - thinking about it though I think this happens after the warning has come up on the dash.

As stated above, I'd check the boot area for dampness, have had hoses blow off on Audi A4, Ibiza Mk 3 & Mk4 plus Fabia Estate - quite a common VAG problem.

All sorted on mine now folks, used a needle to poke the muck out of the holes and all good again, thank you all for your help.

After merrily posting how I'd previously fixed this problem on my car with a new nozzle, I drove up to Scotland at the weekend and my rear washer stopped working en route. I assumed it was just clogged with muck so whipped the nozzle off when I got home but whilst the motor was working, the water was only barely trickling out.

I opened up the washer casing and it's full of horrible brown muck. Looks like the black hose connector on the metal casing was blocked as I put some hot water through it and was delighted to see the water shooting out again after I reassembled it.

My delight was short lived however as I opened the boot to re-attach the rear panel to see water dripping from the bottom of the metal washer casing. I've tried tightening everything down an extra turn but it is still dripping slightly. Has anyone had a similar experience? I can see there are repair kits available but it looks like these are for older models and mine's a 2003 reg. I'm loathed to spend £80 on a whole new motor.

The gasket failed on my rear wiper motor corroding the boot lock so changed both for just over £100 (new parts) You can get a new wiper motor for about £70 from lincoln audio on ebay and it only takes 10-15 minutes to fit.

The gasket failed on my rear wiper motor corroding the boot lock so changed both for just over £100 (new parts) You can get a new wiper motor for about £70 from lincoln audio on ebay and it only takes 10-15 minutes to fit.

Thought that might be the answer, I spotted the replacement motors on ebay for around £70. Was hoping to avoid spending more money on the car this month as I've just forked out £300 on a replacement radiator fan unit! Not so Merry Christmas.

How do you fully remove the old motor? I tried to do this earlier and while it was easy enough to remove the three nuts on the inside and the one outside the glass so the unit was free, it wasn't obvious what I needed to do next to completely remove the whole unit. I was tugging the wiper blade section and the motor in opposite directions but they seemed pretty solid and didn't want to force it and break anything.

Cheers

My car is all fixed, I found that the rear window washer was leaking directly onto the lock mechanism and the micro-switch was short circuited, this is what caused the battery to slowly drain and the alarm to go off.
I fitted an "O"ring to the wiper shaft, that cured the leak and obtained a new lock on ebay for £22.
What a bargain and saved myself a packet no doubt.
I bet the leaky wiper shaft is a common fault so I would advise any one with this model to remove the wiper mechanism plate and fit a small "O" ring, I wonder if I can put a patent on this repair. LOL!

Its a common fault on A3's for that jet to block up. Every time we have an A3 in for service or repair, that ends up being one of the jobs. So much so, I bought a little stock of them from TPS a while back.