Ricky0610

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got a s3 8y saloon, only had it for 2 months and my rear windscreen shattered when I put my heated screen on while I was driving. After it shattered there was an electrical burning smell coming for right hand side c pillar (I’m guessing the connector is there). I already have the vehicle booked in for rear heated screen not working for beginning of October but this has happened now.
After it was recovered to the Audi dealership they said there isn’t any fault codes and fuse not blown for the screen and saying it’s my fault and I have to pay.
I am just wondering if anyone has any advise for me or know about this issue or had it happen to them or someone they know?
Thanks

It could be difficult one for you to prove. The good news is that you have already raised an issue with them and it was already booked in. From an electrical point of view, if there was some kind of ‘short’ on the circuit it would have blown the fuse unless the extra amps did not take the load over the rating of the fuse depending on the resistance of the short. At the other end of the scale there may have been a bad connection onto the screen which may have given a high resistance and maybe arcing. I would ask to inspect the connection for signs of this as this would give the burning smell you have said in which case it is a manufacturing defect. The localised heat from this bad connection is what could have popped the screen.