Rebuilding your own turbo? See link...

asasprey

Reaction score
HI guys, turbo is giving up the ghost and im selling the car so i need to sort it!

Now looking on ebay iv seen this

AUDI A3 TDI 2.0 GT1749V Turbocharger Turbo Cartridge | eBay

Looks good to me, all it seems you need to do is open the turbo up and replace this. Im pretty good with this kind of stuff and i would rather do this myself than pay some guys hundreds to do a potentially 10 minute job !?

Any thought? I might give it a go if i get enough encouragement lol!

Well, no encouragement from anybody as yet...

Either way im buying this, and a seal kit and i am going to get turbo off on weekend and will replace the following weekend and i will let you know how i get on. Should be simple enough, but as iv got a quattro, its going to be quite the challenge...

I don't think it's too difficult a job, You are just bolting ancillaries such as exhaust and compressor housings onto the core, and then the oil and water banjos etc. Not very technical and should be fine.

I'm not entirely sure why you think it will be more difficult because it's a quattro though.

Because you have the "transfer box" bolted to the offside of the diff and the turbo comes out from underneath so it may be a bit tight. I should think you will be fine.

It doesn't look like a genuine Garrett item though? and make sure you prime the turbo before you refit it.

HI guys, turbo is giving up the ghost and im selling the car so i need to sort it!

Now looking on ebay iv seen this

AUDI A3 TDI 2.0 GT1749V Turbocharger Turbo Cartridge | eBay

Looks good to me, all it seems you need to do is open the turbo up and replace this. Im pretty good with this kind of stuff and i would rather do this myself than pay some guys hundreds to do a potentially 10 minute job !?

Any thought? I might give it a go if i get enough encouragement lol!

Looks good, Keep us informed.
If it goes well I'm sure some people maybe interested in doing it or getting you to do it for them :thumbsup:

The part is Chinese crap to start with plus you better hope that thing is balanced properly when you fit it or you will be picking turbo fragments out of your engine.

Yeah it is Chinese crap but 12 month guarantee and the guy told me it comes pre balanced so hopefully all should be good, essentially it's just a fan and a bearing, whats the worst that could happen lol. Genuine garrett is 300.00 so il take a gamble with Chinese crap. And I will do a step by step and post my results up chaps. See if I can save us guys some money's!!

Yeah it is Chinese crap but 12 month guarantee and the guy told me it comes pre balanced so hopefully all should be good, essentially it's just a fan and a bearing, whats the worst that could happen lol. Genuine garrett is 300.00 so il take a gamble with Chinese crap. And I will do a step by step and post my results up chaps. See if I can save us guys some money's!!
big white smoke over wolverhampton !!!

The part is Chinese crap to start with plus you better hope that thing is balanced properly when you fit it or you will be picking turbo fragments out of your engine.
Couldn't have put that better myself......if it isn't balanced it'll tear itself up.
A guarantee is all very well providing it can be collected on,plus this is one piece of engineering that should be done in a clean room,and as always,you get what you pay for.......