recently bought 1.4tfsi, have some qs

samisnake

Reaction score
as above, recently bought a 1.4tfsi with 65k on the clock, and straight away changed the oil, filter and air filter.
however now im worried i screwed up by using the wrong oil.
i used a 5w30 fully synth by petronas, but it only has 505.01 spec for vw engines. ive read the 1.4 uses 502 or 504/507 spec.
only thing is, i cant find anywhere a reason why this would be an issue. surely im not the only person to use 505 in a tfsi?
if needs be i can always drain and refill with 504, its only been in a week and less than 100 miles, but if anyone could shed some light on whether this is needed, if possible why, thatd be great.

Not all 5W- 30 synth oil is the same and I can tell for your peace of mind you would have preferred to use the correct specification.
On the 2.0 TFSI engine there is a component called a cam follower that rests on the inlet valve camshaft. The fuel pump plunger rests against the cam follower. It has been demonstrated on another forum that the cam follower wears quickly if you have an uprated fuel pump when cheap oil is used even if it is 5W-30.
However, in my S3, I do not use the correct specification oil according to VAG. However, I use a higher rated oil made by Millers as my car is tuned up.
So no matter what anyone says, if you have a problem in your engine you will think it is the oil you have used. So to eliminate your concern, change it.
I also have a Golf Mk 4 1.8T. The official specification oil is semi synthetic but I have always run the car on fully synthetic and have always specified it when it has been serviced. Last year a VW garage stripped the thread of the sump plug when giving it a service and so while the sump was off I examined the oil pick up strainer. No blockages at all as cars run on semi synthetic can get blocked strainers.
The previous year to that I had specified synthetic at a different garage but on seeing the bill, semi synthetic had been used.
I asked them to change it but the service manager refused saying they had used the correct specification of oil.
I took the car home, changed the oil to what I wanted for peace of mind but now never use that garage.
This year, after 2 bad experiences, I did my own service!

I wouldn't get hung up on it, it's not like you used a cheap non synthetic oil. My advice is to buy fairly decent oil and change it often rather than buying the most expensive oil on the market and only change it when the car tells you to. Don't leave it any longer than 12 Months or 10k miles. I change mine every 5k now as I'm running stage 3.