Recently remapped 1.6 tdi engine, anyone else had this done ?

Glasgoe Joe

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum so i thought i would share my verdict of my first ever audi and the performance of the 1.6tdi engine after a remap.
So i picked up my new A3 in April of last year went for the 1.6tdi 3 door in monsoon grey with an s-tronic box . I went for the sport variant and was impressed with the kit that came with it . I love the colour i went for , i was toying with white and black before i ordered then when i went to the show room i saw the exact car i wanted in monsoon grey and i was instantly impressed. I later found it looks great clean or dirty.

Now for the important stuff ,the performance . For insurance reasons i had to go for the 1.6 tdi engine i would have went for the 2.0 tdi 150 PS if i could have . It has 110 PS i will be honest its not the worst engine but at certain times it really lacks the get up and go that was needed eg Pulling onto the motorway and overtaking at speed on country roads , being agile and getting into and closing gaps .
So after months of research and will i wont i and maybe next month blah blah i decided to have the car remapped after the first oil change at 9800mi . Its the best decision i ever made , 4000 miles with the remap and the car honestly feels like a 2.0 litre tdi .
The mid range has been completely transformed and the car pulls so much better from a stand still. I cant say i have noticed improved fuel economy because i haven't been driving very economically since i had this done. But on occasion when i have wanted to go slowly the car cruises much better at 50 mph than before, returning very high MPG. The engine now sounds much better and the turbo sounds great on acceleration.
I have had the car on a rolling road and the read out came back that the horsepower is now upto 147 . I am very impressed with the increase overall it has changed the car significantly .
I love the car how it looks and the interior with the MMI etc is fantastic i wish i went for the leather seats mind you but the sport seats are still very comfortable with the bolstered sides.
When my insurance costs are lower i will be going for the 2.0tdi engine but until then a remapped 1.6tdi is more than enough power . To be honest i can see myself getting the 2.0tdi remapped aswell after the good experience i have had with this car.
Does anyone else on here have any experiences of remapping the 1.6tdi i would be interested as to how you now find the cars performance.

Reactions: Ormesome and syed123
I have the 1.6tdi 105ps 63 plate sport and have done the exact same thing..‎
I first had a tuning box on about 2 years ago which was great but then I thought why not go all out and see the difference that a remap might make.
Made the decision in august n went for a full ecu remap and also reflashed the DSG as I still remember on various occassions I felt like the transmission was holding back what my tuning box was trying to achieve, some days the torque was very impressive on others it was not.
I must say, ever since I've done both remaps, the car has completely transformed in everywhere in the rev range and the mid range torque is absolutely savage! 0 60 is done in 7.6 seconds and I get too much wheelspin round corners and even off the line!
To be honest the power on my car feels quite abit more than 150, I would say 160 170 atleast but maybe that's just cause of the torque, the torque increase with the DSG flash over standard is quite a lot maybe that's why.
My mate has the a6 190 ultra n that felt quite underpowered compared to my car n didn't stand a chance when we had a few drag races, I do understand though that it is a big heavy car.. :p
I would advise u to remap ur DSG also as the gearchanges and the smoothness of the engine will transform and u will really notice the diFference.
I've kept up with some really quick cars from 50 and above and the car even keeps pulling over 100 n only really stops at around 110.
Which company did u use to remap ur car? I used tdi tuning for the remap, jfa automotive for the DSG flash and I also use a DTUK pedal box from diesel tuning.
Syed‎

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe
P.s I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this engine sounds great for a diesel! As soon as I floor it in comfort I hear a nice turbo whistle
That only gets better as the speed rises.
I wonder what the 2.0tdi and quattro models sound like?
I've driven a Mercedes c220cdi 2014 n while I can say it is quite punchy it also is very unrefined, sounds no where good as my car and the power delivery isn't even that smooth.
Also driven a 120d which was more refined than the merc but still didn't have no turbo whistle like mine :s is this to do with remapping? As the boost increases?
Reason I think my car is pushing more than 150 is cause the merc n BMW are meant to be more powerful than my car mapped but I feel that the overall response n mid range torque is so much more linear n actually puts u back in ur seat each time u floor it, so unusual for a 1.6!
planning to get the b9 A4 3.0tdi 272ps quattro n will remap that too. Now that will be a step up! :)

That'll be some nice a4, going to road test one in the school half term and see if they can do me a good deal one one but looking at the petrol with a manual box, of course...

Yeah,
the a4 b9 seems to be the car I will only ever need! I actually like the exterior styling, especially the headlights and prefer the understated look it has. (absoultely love the interior, only wish the screen would slide in)
Not too sure about the 3.0tdi having just a twin exhaust system though, now that's just too underrated! A car that can do 0 60 in 5.3 seconds that only has a twin exhaust, that makes it identical to a 2litre from behind :p
I wonder wat the best pcp or business lease deal would be though, planning to go for mythos black with the 20 inch s4 style alloys (expensive ones) privacy glass, black styling pack, light n vision, tech pack, virtual cockpit, comfort suspension and bang and olufsen.. ( I know quite a big spec) total list price will come to around 45k but I still think it's worth it as an all rounder!

I did actually pop in to the chelmsford audi to get a quote for pcp on this and it came up to to whopping 600 a month with a 2k deposit, almost fell off my chair!

I did speak to a few other dealers who said to wait abit till spring as the monthly payments may come down, I wouldn't really want to be spending more than 400 pm

Has anyone on this forum remapped the new 3litres with 272ps? I reckon the b9's 0 60 could go down to atleast mid 4 seconds?‎

Hi @syed123 I used a Company based in Glasgow called absolute tuning, got a very good price on the map which made it even better. It's totally been worth it I couldn't find any reviews of people who had had this engine remapped so wasn't sure of the results but it's a massive improvement over the standard performance. You are right the turbo whistle sounds amazing I even end up turning my music down so I can hear it properly. Motorway driving is much easier now it's easier to maintain 70 + mph and beyond. Sport mode has been completely transformed it was quite jittery before now I can drive around in sport at all times if I desire without it feeling like the car is constantly on edge it's much smoother. I would be interested to hear more reviews of the 1.6 tdi after remap. The a4 you talk of sounds like it will be a monster. I really like the look of the new a4 it's probably the smartest audi there is at the moment in my opinion.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Oh that sounds alright, I'm pretty sure they are a good company :)
Yes motorway driving is very effortless, I find myself creeping up to 90 at times as when I'm cruising at 70 the car just acts like it wants to speed up even with the slightest touch of the accelerator.
A remap is good but I would really advise you to remap the DSG for even sharper gear changes, the pedal box for the ultimate response n you'll have a 1.6 that keeps up with so many other pretty powerful cars.
I wouldn't say it has kept up with anything 3litre or above but when I've had a few races on dual carriageways I've kept up with gtis, r32s and even maintained the exact same speed as a new golf gtd! We were both giving it the beans n we were inseperable so that is quite impressive.
Can't wait for the a4 though, going to test drive it soon for sure.
After hearing how good this engine sounds I can only expect n hope the 3litre will sound even better!
Quite surprised actually how audi diesels sound quite decent indeed!
I wonder if anyone else on this forum can give some insight on how their 2litre tdis sound when flooring it, pretty sure they must sound similar!‎

How does remapping and ecu's affect warranty etc?

How does remapping and ecu's affect warranty etc?

From
What I've heard it will defo void ur warranty if work had to be carried out under a warranty claim.
I'm pretty sure the technicians could detect it if they wanted to so if I needed warranty work I would defo take out my remap before I went in.
However I'm in a slight dilemma myself lol as my car has it second service due in about 1500 miles and I'm not sure whether I should unflash the remap and DSG map as if I do that I have to go through the annoying 400 mile adaptation process for it all to run through :(
I find that my current remap is improving the car's performance day by day!
Don't wanna start from scratch again.. however I'm hoping the dealers don't start taking my car on longish test drives when this happens cause if they did I don't wanna get caught out lol.
Fingers crossed!‎

What's the torque following the remap?

I understood that the 7 speed s-tronic has a safe torque limit of 184lb ft which is what the 1.6tdi puts out as standard.

What's the torque following the remap?

I understood that the 7 speed s-tronic has a safe torque limit of 184lb ft which is what the 1.6tdi puts out as standard.

Tbh
Tdi tuning were very reserved on what they said the power output/torque would be, they did say if ur loving the way it drives that's all that matters n they did insist that they put a 'nuts' map on it!
They removed all torque limiters to ensure the remap works with the DSG flash.‎

I have researched various companies who remap this engine and they say it can push to atleast 340nm and 160bhp.
The c class I have driven which has 400nm was punchy but no where near as smooth and didn't give me that torque buzz I get in my car.
I personally think the power is around 165/170 n the torque must be around 280lbs if I was level with a gtd.
The weird thing is though that on some days the power n torque can be vastly different to the next, wonder if it's just my ecu -_-
I've also heard the same about the 7 speed having a torque limit, hence I had to flash the DSG, so glad I found a way to do it! Took literaly 10 mins to install

Glad you're enjoying it. The 1.6 is fine for 'normal' driving but for a bit of fun it does need a power boost.

Like you I went for the sport and decided against leather seats, they are just too expensive on the sport model once you add the mandatory storage pack and heated seats.

The cloth seats looks really good and unlike leather they keep cool in summer, warm in winter and you don't slip around so much through the bends. After living with that for 2 years I don't regret it one bit.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe and syed123
Yeahh that's true, I always found the 1.6 to be a very quiet and smooth engine but because I've drove slightly more powerful cars in the past it soon felt very slow.
I even had a hyundai i30 1.6crdi recently as a courtesy car n that was very punchy, was quicker than the 1.6 standard which was very embarrassing :$
Sports seats are very good! On long motorway journeys I get home not even tired :p
The good thing about remapping is if u drive like a granny u actually get better than average mpg, the amount of extra torque is so useful! I find my self barely touching the accelerator cause of the low down torque from the remap, smoothness of the DSG map and the razor sharp response of the pedal box makes a win win! The car just glides along

The man who remapped my car said torque is now at 310nm. I can definitely feel the difference low rev response and speed is much better lower speed over taking is effortless now compared to before. It's much easier to close gaps and move quickly if u need to. I have spoken to other people who have left their map on for service at audi and the technicians haven't picked it up. I don't think I am going to take the map off for my service either.
As regards to the torque on the gearbox I always wait until the car is throughly warmed up before putting the boot down. From what I have seen I haven't heard of anyone having gearbox issues after the 1.6tdi being mapped.

Oh ok, I'm the same, I never boot it until it's fully warmed up well don't really need to at times as it just goes!
Would u consider doing more to get extra power out of ur car? The first stage for me was the tuning box was great, then did the remap which was even better but I honestly felt that the gearbox was holding me back as some days I really didn't feel that kick n some days I did, the performance was very mixed.‎
Having all 3 combined for me made a bigger difference than the remap alone.
Syed‎

That sounds superb, unfortunately mines is a lease car so no can touch the engine. Would love a bit of extra kick. However, I really like the engine the way it is. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could map it but I'm happy. It's quicker than I imagined it would be. I love the 7 speed S-tronic box.
I've got a GPS speed tester to see what it does 0-60 in. Will test it at some point as I believe it's better than the 10.6 Audi say it is.
As you say it gets up to speed quick enough but as standard it tappers off quickly once you hit 70-80 mph. I hardly get the chance to hit that speed on my commute so doesn't worry me. I may look into the mapping if I buy outright next time. Keep us posted on your ongoing thoughts. Also if Audi can detect it when it's in for service.

Reactions: syed123
Wish I had the guts to do the same to my 1 month old engine.

Is anyone aware of any major mechanical differences between the pre-facelift 1.6 TDI and the 2017 facelift 116 PS unit?

Have recently been thinking to get a remap done, now that i have passed 1 year with my 2013 A3 1.6tdi 105 ps and my extended warranty has expired, any recommendations on where to get it done and what kind of prices have people paid?

Have recently been thinking to get a remap done, now that i have passed 1 year with my 2013 A3 1.6tdi 105 ps and my extended warranty has expired, any recommendations on where to get it done and what kind of prices have people paid?
Do some research there are loads of companies that do it, read reviews etc. A remap will be any where from £250 to £400

Reactions: tele2050
That sounds superb, unfortunately mines is a lease car so no can touch the engine. Would love a bit of extra kick. However, I really like the engine the way it is. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could map it but I'm happy. It's quicker than I imagined it would be. I love the 7 speed S-tronic box.
I've got a GPS speed tester to see what it does 0-60 in. Will test it at some point as I believe it's better than the 10.6 Audi say it is.
As you say it gets up to speed quick enough but as standard it tappers off quickly once you hit 70-80 mph. I hardly get the chance to hit that speed on my commute so doesn't worry me. I may look into the mapping if I buy outright next time. Keep us posted on your ongoing thoughts. Also if Audi can detect it when it's in for service.
Been for multiple service and nothing has been said about the remap. This is probably the best thing I have done to the car, I suspect I will buy a 2.0 diesel next time and probably remap that aswell. I'm doing 2500 miles a month so a quick diesel makes sense for me.

Reactions: Scottyg
Hi. I've had mine remapped an noticed hesitation pulling through the revs, lower revs it's pulls well then hesitant until about 3,000 then pulls good again have anyone had this problem?

Nope mine pulls from the lower revs right past 3000 where as it used to tail off at about 2700.
You could ask them to have a look at the software they put on it.

I would worry about the TD1 flag, I hope you don't have any engine or transmission issues. You may also have a problem selling the car. Particularly through an Audi dealership.

Last edited:
The guys who have remapped are all well aware of the TD1. Really don't know why people take it upon themselves to mention it on every single remap post as if they are taking the moral high ground or something.

Been for multiple service and nothing has been said about the remap. This is probably the best thing I have done to the car, I suspect I will buy a 2.0 diesel next time and probably remap that aswell. I'm doing 2500 miles a month so a quick diesel makes sense for me.

Nothing will be said about a remap on a service, it’s only when you need warranty work on the engine that you might have trouble.
Guys I CAN understand why you’d go for a remap but to do it during warranty period isn’t something I’d do. After the warranty has expired then yes absolutely. I’d hate to need a new turbo etc only to be told that it won’t be covered under warranty due to a remap, sod that.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe
For insurance reasons i had to go for the 1.6 tdi engine i would have went for the 2.0 tdi 150 PS if i could have

I’m maybe missing something, but surely a stock 2.0 would be cheaper to insure than a remapped 1.6? I’d have thought you’d have higher premium declaring the remap to insurance, assuming you did notify them that is

Nope remap doesn't increase insurance as much as you might think.
This year my insurance is much cheaper due to being 26 yr old so will be getting a 2.0 soon.

Reactions: SamR92 and Jcbmally
Nothing will be said about a remap on a service, it’s only when you need warranty work on the engine that you might have trouble.
Guys I CAN understand why you’d go for a remap but to do it during warranty period isn’t something I’d do. After the warranty has expired then yes absolutely. I’d hate to need a new turbo etc only to be told that it won’t be covered under warranty due to a remap, sod that.
Yes there's an element of risk as every person who gets it done knows.

Reactions: Jcbmally
I’m maybe missing something, but surely a stock 2.0 would be cheaper to insure than a remapped 1.6? I’d have thought you’d have higher premium declaring the remap to insurance, assuming you did notify them that is
do you have to inform your insurance company about a remap or just even a tuning box? :whistle2: