Recommend a decent DA/Polisher?

16Klappe

Man Boost!
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Been detailing cars for years but never had a DA/polisher, which is good for the arms but not so quick!

Looking at getting either a cordless polisher or if a good one is recommended a corded one, but to be honest I don't know what I'm looking for.

Any advice? :)

I have this one and I think its great :icon_thumright: Applying polish, sealants etc is a breeze with one of these.

Kestral DAS-6 Dual Action Car Polisher - Buy online from i4detailing.co.uk

Cheers for that, certainly looks about right. I obviously understand the difference between DA and rotary but what makes that one good in your opinion?

Will I really see a difference with one of those over my results by hand?

This is what I'm used to seeing by hand -

A3154.jpg

Will I get a better finish than that, or an easier application?

Last edited:
This kit has been designed for VW/Audi (and BMW and Merc) paint. PB DAS-6 Hard Paint Polishing Kit | Machine Polishing Kit For Cars With Hard Paint

The kit includes all the pads, polishes and accessories you need, offer a discount over buying the items individually and we can offer free UK shipping.

Our guide to polishing is here: there's a step by step guide to machining as well as an explanation of why a dual action is a better bet for the non-professional. What Does Polishing Do? | Car Care Advice | Polished Bliss

(essentially, you mininmise the risk of burning the paint - which would require a re-spray..... - and you'll remove less paint. It will take a little bit longer to complete the job compared to a rotary, but not by much.)

A DA will break down the product alot easier, alot faster and alot more efficent than doing it by hand. Once the product is worked in, its just a case of a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth and your left will excellent results. There are many videos on youtube showing this process but I can assure you its a great tool to have in your kit. I would definately recommend a DA for applying polish, glaze, sealant etc....

I have a das-6 pro which I'm more than happy with. I did have a udm a few years back which eventually died and at the time I thought, no worries the car is how I want it to look I wont miss it. However I don't just use mine for correction work, also applying glazes, sealants, cleaners etc. makes life so much easier! The cord on the pro (maybe das-6 too?) is nice and long so it's easy to hook over your shoulder and you can still reach the roof, it feels nicely put together and it does have a bit of power. It is a bit heavier than the udm but then it has a bigger motor but I soon got used to it. I think I would prefer the side handle over the "D" shaped handle supplied as it can make it feel a little top heavy, especially with smaller pads and it makes it more difficult to get into smaller areas.

Why I went for a DA? I have tried a rotary and what I liked was the smooth operation, mainly no vibration, but I did manage to eat through the scrap panel with ease, notably raised edges. I don't think you are necessarily either one type of polisher or the other as I think there is a place for both, I often read about pros breaking out the DA for certain parts, but for me the DA does all I want it to. Both types of machine have the ability to remove paint, it's just the DA removes it a lot slower than the rotary, I also find it a little easier to control. If I was charging for my time, or doing it on a daily basis then it would be rotary for me, but as a hobbyist I'll stick with DA

Have a look at the Meguiars polishers too. I have a Megs G220 DA and its a great machine

Essentially the Megs G220 and Das-6 are the same machine except the Megs is more expensive as you are paying for the name,i think the new G220v2 and the Das-6 pro are very simlar again you are paying the extra for the name.
I managed to get a Das-6 off ebay for £45 brand new last year.It sat in the box for over 8months before i had the bottle to use it,since then i've never looked back and have corrected a few cars from Fords to VW's using various pads (mainly Hex logic),I have better reults on some cars than others and its just a bit of trial and error, i think ill next be trying the megs DA correction system as i've heard a lot of good things about it.

Essentially the Megs G220 and Das-6 are the same machine except the Megs is more expensive as you are paying for the name,i think the new G220v2 and the Das-6 pro are very simlar again you are paying the extra for the name.

Not true. The G220 V2 and DAS6 (and DAS6 Power Plus) machines are very different.

The DAS6 is the standard Kestrel machine: 500w and enough to correct Audi/VW paint if used with the correct pad and polish.

The Power Plus is the newer model and has an 850w motor: a lot more torque which is a benefit on harder paints where you're putting the machine under more pressure and load.

The G220 V2, on paper, looks expensive compared to the DAS6 Power Plus. The G220 V2 has a 550w motor. However, as well as being more nicely finished and coming with a storage bag etc, the G220 V2 boasts 'cruise control'. The system ensures the head of the machine continues to orbit even under very heavy pressures and loads - essentially, it stops the motor stalling and means you can correct very hard paints, with stiff pads and aggressive compounds relatively easily.

All three are different machines - as to which is best, it depends what car you're working on, the condition it's in and what you're looking to achieve.

Bear in mind, if you just buy the machine, you'll need backing plates, pads, polishes etc. All our machines, when sold alone (eg, not as part of a kit) include a 125mm backing plate. Some of the apparently cheaper ones you'll see elsewhere don't have this (some only have a 145mm plate and that's too large for a 5inch pad) so factor in adding a backing plate at £15......

And bear in mind too that we can offer Free UK Delivery..... :)

I have a dodo juice buff daddy DA which is pretty much a kestrel das-6 :)

i bought it because its green and came with the bag :)

x 2 lol DAS 6 all the way. A great machine for the money

John

I wasnt suggesting the G220V2,DAS-6 and DAS 6 pro are the same.
All i was saying is the DAS-6 and G220 in my opinion are the same machine i have used a G220 and i own a DAs-6 and in my eyes they are very very simlar.Obviously PB are the experts and can give good information (as you have to me in the past)i was just passing on what i have found over the last few months since i starting using my DA.I still believe you are paying for the name if opting for the Megs machine.

John

I wasnt suggesting the G220V2,DAS-6 and DAS 6 pro are the same.
All i was saying is the DAS-6 and G220 in my opinion are the same machine i have used a G220 and i own a DAs-6 and in my eyes they are very very simlar.Obviously PB are the experts and can give good information (as you have to me in the past)i was just passing on what i have found over the last few months since i starting using my DA.I still believe you are paying for the name if opting for the Megs machine.

The original G220 (version 1 - now out of production) was quite similar to the DAS6.

The new G220 (V2) is a very, very different machine and you're definitely not just paying for the name.

:)