Recommend Screenwash

SamB2020

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the recommended screenwash is for the 8Y
My old A1 & A3 I used VW Quantum but now I see they do a fine fan jet.
I’ve a few work mates who put the cheap stuff in but then moan when the jets block up.

I have used (dilute yourself as see fit) Prestone Extreme Screenwash, Autoglym Performance Screen wash, and Sonax Nano (blue one), and Halford's readymix (blue) down to -5 one. I can recommend the first two. Sonax one (although dilution is 1:100) turns to goo if not used in the car or bottle before putting into the car within 2 months. And yes, it happened to me, had to go to dearler to 'unclog' the washer jets, at the time I didn't think it was related. Halfords one, it works, but damn that 5l is heavy and difficult to put the screenwash. I'm not sure if there is a specific screenwash, but I'm sure both the Prestone and Autoglym should work well with fan jets

Used Sonax blue and green on about 4 different cars over the last few years with no issue whatsoever. These seem for me to have the best cleaning power and not awful smell, and don’t over “sud” as many do. Even the wife gives the thumbs up

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll get some ordered
I always use the genuine VW/Audi Screenwash as recommended back when I had a Mark 4 Golf with Fan Jets as when they block with the cheaper stuff it then used to blow the pipe off the rear one and blow the wiper motor - You want the litre bottles from Parts not the 500ml ones in the showroom cabinets - Usually get a box of 10 on ebay - Not cheap but never had blocked jets - link below for a single bottle but boxes of 10 are available

Reactions: SamB2020
I always use the genuine VW/Audi Screenwash as recommended back when I had a Mark 4 Golf with Fan Jets as when they block with the cheaper stuff it then used to blow the pipe off the rear one and blow the wiper motor - You want the litre bottles from Parts not the 500ml ones in the showroom cabinets - Usually get a box of 10 on ebay - Not cheap but never had blocked jets - link below for a single bottle but boxes of 10 are available

I’ve used that in the past in my previous A3 and the mrs A1.
I did buy some quantum from the Volkswagen dealers last week while passing apparently it’s the same stuff.

If you dont want scratches best will.be use microfibre and glass cleaner as that cars have so fragile glass

If you dont want scratches best will.be use microfibre and glass cleaner as that cars have so fragile glass
Yea tell me about it, after my long trip to and from Scotland, splattered a lot of bugs, and some of which the wipers couldn't clean throughly. So at the service stn, I decided to get out my sponge to clean it off, but as it was glass and not paintwork, though the scourer side would work bests! Later on the trip, at certain angles if the streetlight reflected off the windscreen, I could see the minor scratches from the sponge! Tried using microfibre later to polish it out, but it's still there, any ideas? Anyone used toothepaste?

Reactions: NevMan
Yea tell me about it, after my long trip to and from Scotland, splattered a lot of bugs, and some of which the wipers couldn't clean throughly. So at the service stn, I decided to get out my sponge to clean it off, but as it was glass and not paintwork, though the scourer side would work bests! Later on the trip, at certain angles if the streetlight reflected off the windscreen, I could see the minor scratches from the sponge! Tried using microfibre later to polish it out, but it's still there, any ideas? Anyone used toothepaste?
Auto Finesse (I'm sure others do as well) a glass polish which can get light scratches out

I made this mistake once myself…using a scourer. Never got the scratches out but then didn’t have a dual action polisher at the time. Auto Finesse Vision (glass polish) with a DA might get some of it out

Auto Finesse (I'm sure others do as well) a glass polish which can get light scratches out
I made this mistake once myself…using a scourer. Never got the scratches out but then didn’t have a dual action polisher at the time. Auto Finesse Vision (glass polish) with a DA might get some of it out
I ended up using Autoglym Glass Polish, a single round of polish and wipe away after 5 mins with microfibre and the scratches are now reduced by 50%. Perhaps I need to do it another round...however...was about to do that...and it started raining! Typical!

I use Autosmart Clearview, although it might be trade only.

No streaks, dissolves everything on the windscreen and a reassuringly strong but nice smell.