Remap or extend warranty?

RS4K

Reaction score
hi guys,

i have had my car for a year and was always planning to map it after warranty ran out but i done a quote and its like £446 for full cover with Audi Extended for another year (it was £870 when i checked last time)

Now i have a dilemma, any thoughts on what you would do renew for another year and have piece of mind or stage 1 remap?

thanks

K

Last edited:
A weird question that only you can decide. If you remap then any warranty is void. If you get a warranty then you cant remap. They cancel each other out completely. If you are happy with the car as it is then get the warranty until you sell it. If you remap then be prepared to never get any warranty work done or gesture of goodwill if things fail. Personally I would get the warranty or get a different car if you need more power. Too much can go wrong with these cars nowadays, i would want to be always covered.

If the cars been reliable, looked after and giving you no cause for concern I'd go for the remap and enjoy the car more. Just make sure you go to a good tuner who will live tune that car on a rolling road rather than just stick a generic map on it from a laptop. A good live tuner will go through all the readings with a fine tooth comb and make sure the car doesn't have any hidden issues. They will also hold back the tune if required to keep your engine safe rather than chase big numbers and blow the engine a year or so down the line.

Warranty or different car is sound advice tbh. But you need to consider how much it will cost to buy a different car that will either match or better a tuned S3 on performance. There arent many unless you get one with a few miles on the clock so you wouldnt have a warranty anyway. You also need to consider the additional running costs of said car since the S3, provided it doesnt go wrong and you dont hammer it all the time, is a pretty cheap car to run.

I was looking at getting an older RS5 before I bought the S3. But what put me off was the £500 a year road tax v £190, and 26mpgs versus 40mpgs I get daily driving, let alone the extra wallet raping on tyres and servicing / repairs. Since going stage 2 my S3 is probably almost as quick as the older Rs5 now anyway. The RS5 is a thing of beauty, and pretty rare car, not to mention that exhaust note but I don't regret my decision.

If you choose the modify route then you have to accept that its probably going to break something expensive sooner or later and you will just have to take the hit. As said above there is a lot to go wrong on these cars and it could easily end up being a money pit (mine has a bit, although not the fault of modifications). On the plus side many components are shared with other VAG based cars and there are loads of them around so things like second hand diffs, engines, etc are freely available and not too much money. Modding the car will have some impact on resale appeal / value if you decide to move it on.

If you don't get all your servicing done at Audi this can be problematic with warranty claims too, as I and others have found out. Keeping full audi history to have a better chance of your warranty paying out is a necessity and an ongoing expense. With no warranty you van use an indie garage at half the cost.

So it's not an easy one to call it depends how desperate you are for it to be faster, how much cash you have, and whether you're a risk taker. If you are happy to take a risk and like the car a lot then forget the warranty and tune it, although personally I would forget stage 1 and replace the intake (as a minimum) and go for a custom tune (stage 2). Don't forget to factor in the hike in your insurance with mods declared. Mine doubled.

If you dont want the risk then extend the warranty and keep it standard, or if you've got cash to burn buy a different faster car.

Reactions: wab172uk
Why not go for a RS3 that’s similar in value to yours? If you like the car you have but want more power and warranty then that seems best bet? Buy audi approved and get extended warranty on it.

Personally I’d get it remapped by a good tuner on a dyno and keep it longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get it mapped up, you know you want too haha.

Don't APR offer a limited powertrain warranty with some of their remaps? Could be worth looking into. I'd suggest a tuning box if you want a bit of power and remove it before the car goes in for servicing or any work under warranty???

lol so many different opinions thanks guys, i guess my head is saying warranty and my heart is saying remap

I have got all audi history and my cuz is pretty much nearly a master tech at audi so labour is free of charge and parts are discounted which is pushing me towards a map as i have some sort of safety net but i do less than 5000 miles a year and probably will look to sell in 1-2 yrs time (or earlier it i get a company car), so that makes me think just enjoy the car as it is, save the money and keep it for the next car which will hopefully be an RS3

I guess as i have gotten older and wiser i am more cautious and considerate of the worst possible outcome and that fear of large repair bills scares the out of me

i think i will have to do a lot of thinking on this one

"save the money and keep it for the next car which will hopefully be an RS3"

do that :)

lol so many different opinions thanks guys, i guess my head is saying warranty and my heart is saying remap

I have got all audi history and my cuz is pretty much nearly a master tech at audi so labour is free of charge and parts are discounted which is pushing me towards a map as i have some sort of safety net but i do less than 5000 miles a year and probably will look to sell in 1-2 yrs time (or earlier it i get a company car), so that makes me think just enjoy the car as it is, save the money and keep it for the next car which will hopefully be an RS3

I guess as i have gotten older and wiser i am more cautious and considerate of the worst possible outcome and that fear of large repair bills scares the out of me

i think i will have to do a lot of thinking on this one
Free labor & discounted parts? surely a remap is a no brainer then?

Reactions: MikeParkin
Free labor & discounted parts? surely a remap is a no brainer then?

yeah but not easy as if it was a massive job like engine out or anything he would not be able to do it at work so really its more of a cover for work that takes a few hrs not days .

yeah but not easy as if it was a massive job like engine out or anything he would not be able to do it at work so really its more of a cover for work that takes a few hrs not days .
It would need to be a really bad map & tuner to blow the engine with a stage 1 remap.

Reactions: cuke2u
Bought mine last Novemeber and mapped it within 6 months. Never looked back!! Running an APR Stage 1 ECU tune & an APR stage 1 TCU tune. Never had any problems. It takes the car from 310bhp to something silly like 382bhp. Im not sure I could go back to a stock S3. Then again I tune every car I have owned. Keep your fingers crossed nothing goes wrong! Audi have taken my car back for warranty work 3 times, once for the sound systemm, once for the electrical locking system and one for calipers binding onto the discs. They have never batted an eyelid, nor have they kicked up a fuss! Map it you won't regret it.

Go with a good tuner like APR or Unitronic & you can't go wrong.

Reactions: RS4K
Get both an extended warranty and a Stage 1, a tuning box would be my preference though....

Bought mine last Novemeber and mapped it within 6 months. Never looked back!! Running an APR Stage 1 ECU tune & an APR stage 1 TCU tune. Never had any problems. It takes the car from 310bhp to something silly like 382bhp. Im not sure I could go back to a stock S3. Then again I tune every car I have owned. Keep your fingers crossed nothing goes wrong! Audi have taken my car back for warranty work 3 times, once for the sound systemm, once for the electrical locking system and one for calipers binding onto the discs. They have never batted an eyelid, nor have they kicked up a fuss! Map it you won't regret it.

Go with a good tuner like APR or Unitronic & you can't go wrong.

All well and good until it's an engine problem. They'll bat a few eyelids then.

But you pay's your money, you take your chances. Each to their own. Did it before in the past, but doubt I'd do it again. Must be an age thing.

I too have fiddled with all the turbo cars I've ever owned and had every intention of doing it to the S3 when I bought it, although waited for the warranty to run out before doing the remap. I just try not to hammer it very often, make sure the oil temp is at 80 degrees before booting it, and keep an eye on misfires etc using the torque pro app on a regular basis. Hopefully it will last but sooner or later something will break for sure.

Regarding the tuning box. I thought it was possible to tell that the car has had a tuning box on it if Audi go searching through the logs?

Hmm..

Keeping it - Tune it - Service it regularly - Don't break it (rag it about constantly).

Not planning on keeping it - Warranty - Save for something you'll be happy with long term.

Things to consider:

Is it your daily? Do you have another car if it breaks.
Check what the extended dealer warranty covers. I think it's less than the extended factory warranty.

Cheers.

Regarding the tuning box. I thought it was possible to tell that the car has had a tuning box on it if Audi go searching through the logs?
No proof of this has actually been stated of how Audi have managed to detect a tuning box apart from one alleged linked post. Mine and hundreds of others certainly have never been detected.

No proof of this has actually been stated of how Audi have managed to detect a tuning box apart from one alleged linked post. Mine and hundreds of others certainly have never been detected.
Imho if the box is removed and Audi ever mention something, just deny all knowledge. There is no way they can know for certain that a box has been installed at some point.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
I guess it depends on what the ECU stores in its logs. It certainly keeps a history of misfires. Does it keep a history of boost level / fuel delivered. Maybe it doesn't, and that would be the only way to tell if it's been running higher boost than stock.

I guess it depends on what the ECU stores in its logs. It certainly keeps a history of misfires. Does it keep a history of boost level / fuel delivered. Maybe it doesn't, and that would be the only way to tell if it's been running higher boost than stock.
But if your response is "no idea mate" then surely it is just a peculiarity. Imho you'd have to hold your hand up for Audi to TB1 the car.

TX.

Edit - allegedly the car only holds codes for a week so a week after TB removed again should be no issues with Audi.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

You'd like to think so would you. Although Ill refer you to the bolt in the head incident. During the short period of my ownership the oil filler cap had not come off my car once, it had only ever been serviced at Audi previously, yet according to them the people changing the clutch or the tyres must have removed it and put the bolt in there. Therefore, I was liable for the repair bill. When it comes to big bills they are a law unto themselves.

think i have missed a lot of replies so will try to condense it.

It is my daily and won't have another car to drive if something went wrong. My only fear i think is engine issues or gearbox not because of the tune necessarily as i was looking at MRC, but just in general i considered the worst outcome but also could be my old age (29)

however the plot thickens as i found out i might have been eligible for a company car so if that comes through then i might look to sell much sooner than expected and in which case I won't map it but i did consider getting warranty anyway if that happens and pass to the new owner but it apparently can't be transferred over? i am at audi tomorrow so will ask and confirm.

Extended warranties cannot be transferred so only take out if you really want it. Someone mentioned that you can pay monthly and then cancel but obviously if you make a claim then you have to complete the whole year.

Audi assist on the other hand can be transferred and stays with the car hence why at 3yrs point it is always good to take out the 2yr renewal as it will add to the cars desirability when selling