Remap query and P0172 - Please help :)

Crs

Reaction score
Hi All
Previously I was getting P0441 and P0172 thanks to your advice I replaced both carbon canister and the n80/evap valve and resolved the P0441.

I am still getting the P0172 and hope you can help - it sends engine into limp mode occassionally when I use WOT.

Some back ground information - my idle is completely normal so I do not think it's a vac leak.
I only get this fault logged when I am driving hard like foot to the floor - wide open throttle.... If I drive normal I never get it...

I think it's WOT and when it upshifts something happens to cause it...

1. I have read that it's possible if the car is remapped it can cause it to run rich , is this correct?

2. Also my research revealed that a DSG car (mine is DSG 6 speed CDLA engine) - must have the DSG remap, if a manual remap was put on the car then it can cause my issue. Is this true?

3. Considering the work i've done below where would be your next best guess? Are boost leaks that common on this car? I can hear the turbo but nothing too extreme that suggests a boost leak..

4. How do I know if my car is remapped - I have VDCS is there some clue I can get from it? I cannot contact the previous owner..

I've done the following diagnostic;
Checked hoses around the engine - cannot see anything obvious
Brand new MAF
New N80 valve (to fix the p0441 error)
New carbon canister (to fix the p0441 error)
New PCV Vavle
New DV
New Dipstick (to fix the p0441 error)
New fuel cap (to fix the p0441 error)

What was the history of the car prior to your purchase? Was there any word of a remap? I suspect you’d know if it was. VCDS won’t tell you if it’s been remapped but I think other dealer tools can. As for the DSG map, it’s not compulsory to have this done but it’s seen as worthwhile to make better use of the increased power/torque from the ECU map. I have manual 6sp so can’t speak too much more to this.

Have you seen this: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16556/P0172/000370

Hi

Thanks for response yes seen that article and to be honest I looked at a few of the things that I suspected would cause it
I don't know any of the cars previous history or if it's remapped but I suspect it might be..
I know there is some blocks I can check for requested and actual boost using VCDS, but what is the baseline boost ? If i know this for the CDL engine then I would be able to tell if it's remapped right?

If you are able to measure the MAF, there is a formula you can use to work out max bhp from the max maf reading.
It's probably the best method you have using VCDS to work out if it is mapped or not.