Remap with Warranty

zaka7

Reaction score
Evening folks,

Been looking into remaps / tuning boxes, and stumbled across this, seem pretty decent tbf. AND they provide a 2 year warranty with their maps!!

Has anyone heard of or used these before?
I used one on my 1.5 TSI

it’s a compromise from a full blown remap but not a bad choice if you want to keep your warranty in tact.

the stuff they supply is of decent quality and the looms supplied use OEM connectors.

no experience of how easy it is to hook into a 2.0l though. Some of the plugs may be awkward. It could be 5 mins to plug in or a couple of hours dependant on what sensors you need to pick up.

The manuals are well presented for installation and if you have any queries the guys in Germany HQ speak good English so there is no language barrier

Reactions: zaka7
Have you actually downloaded and read the warranty conditions. The chances of you actually being able to claim are like most warranties very small.

Reactions: John Pilkington
Have you actually downloaded and read the warranty conditions. The chances of you actually being able to claim are like most warranties very small.

I have yeah. Not done a full interrogation. But on skimming through it looks good tbh.
limited value wise, to £8k for engine for example. Limited to a max of 60k miles at times of any claim and a few other bits. But it does seemingly look like the ABT warranties they offer on maps in germany. However it is covered in the UK!
I was thinking of a revo map, but if the warranty holds up this could be a game changer for me!
basically a free warranty!

I have yeah. Not done a full interrogation. But on skimming through it looks good tbh.
limited value wise, to £8k for engine for example. Limited to a max of 60k miles at times of any claim and a few other bits. But it does seemingly look like the ABT warranties they offer on maps in germany. However it is covered in the UK!
I was thinking of a revo map, but if the warranty holds up this could be a game changer for me!
basically a free warranty!

The thing is the onus is on you to prove the chip or remap blew your engine and not something else.
There’s also other things that can blow like your gearbox and £8k realistically won’t go very far for Audi parts.
If you plan to tune just be prepared to fix stuff. I wouldn’t rely on these warranties as half of them isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. Got to pay to play.

Reactions: Damo S and NevMan
The thing is the onus is on you to prove the chip or remap blew your engine and not something else.
There’s also other things that can blow like your gearbox and £8k realistically won’t go very far for Audi parts.
If you plan to tune just be prepared to fix stuff. I wouldn’t rely on these warranties as half of them isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. Got to pay to play.
Completely agree. But buying a car out of warranty like I am anyway. It actually seems to give me more protection than using another provider. And whilst £8k doesn’t go all the long way. It’s a long way and a big dent in and potential issues.
I do need to read through in detail but it does seem more beneficial to go with this vs others, on the face of it at least.

In my experience, the thing that people worry about when thinking about a warranty is a catastrophic failure - engine, gearbox or similar. These are probably quite rare occurrences and are more akin to buildings insurance than a warranty IMO (i.e. covering unlikely but possible catastrophic events).

Whereas in practical terms, the more common issues you might have with any car will be wear and tear items and / or related to ancillary things like suspension components, cooling system, door locks, wiper motors etc. Some issues will be inherent to the model of car and, if insured, unlikely to be caused by a remap. These types of failure are also less commonly insured / warranted on policies. So, some owners (like me) will take the view that preventive maintenance, good care and a savings pot are better value.

I have no figures at all to back up my hypothesis that major failure is rare compared to smaller issues, but I'm confident enough. That's why I'm personally happy to remap as soon as I get a new vehicle.

Reactions: NevMan
In my experience, the thing that people worry about when thinking about a warranty is a catastrophic failure - engine, gearbox or similar. These are probably quite rare occurrences and are more akin to buildings insurance than a warranty IMO (i.e. covering unlikely but possible catastrophic events).

Whereas in practical terms, the more common issues you might have with any car will be wear and tear items and / or related to ancillary things like suspension components, cooling system, door locks, wiper motors etc. Some issues will be inherent to the model of car and, if insured, unlikely to be caused by a remap. These types of failure are also less commonly insured / warranted on policies. So, some owners (like me) will take the view that preventive maintenance, good care and a savings pot are better value.

I have no figures at all to back up my hypothesis that major failure is rare compared to smaller issues, but I'm confident enough. That's why I'm personally happy to remap as soon as I get a new vehicle.

No I agree mate. But this is a car with no warranty anyway. I was thinking of a savings pot as you say.

But I am looking into getting it remapped. This just struck me as good because it's similar to the remap I was going to do anyway, but it also provides a 2 year warranty with it, so essentially the way I see it (unless i'm missing something) is it's a free warranty for what I was going to do anyway.

Reactions: The Cardinal
Evening folks,

Been looking into remaps / tuning boxes, and stumbled across this, seem pretty decent tbf. AND they provide a 2 year warranty with their maps!!

Has anyone heard of or used these before?
I would HIGHLY suggest staying away from one of them tuning boxes and get a proper remap.

I had a Racechip in my A1 1.4tfsi at 20k miles and I just had to take it out. Torque was fantastic, but if you revved it, it made the engine knock (even with RON97). I took it off and put it back on about a year later, then one morning driving to work in traffic, as I’d take my foot off the accelerator the car would rev for a split second and then go down. I nearly rear ended someone.

I parked up asap and unplugged it as the engine knock and that put me right off. I think its done some excessive damage as a few months later, I revved the engine up as I overtook a vehicle and the car went in to limp mode and the engine light came on. It done it again 2 weeks later and this time engine light didnt go after turning the car off. Took it to the garages and their OBD computer said the car was overboosting even though I unplugged the Racechip a few months before.

All in all, I’m now forever anxious about ever driving at high revs in a low gear now in that car. I think it’s done some damage to the engine and this is considering I’ve always used Castrol Edge oil and serviced every 12 months too and never red line the car.

If anyone wants a free Racechip, hit me up or its going straight in the bin.

Good lad, i’d only use a tuning box on a lump of **** of a car from now on.

Hows the remap?

Thing is Some of this applies to remaps as well. Over the years I’ve seen some Mickey Mouse remaps claiming all sorts of power increase but also causing all sorts of problems, some expensive. Worse are those file jockeys flashing whatever map on to your car on your driveway. finding the right tuner is just as important.
likes of revo, apr and superchips are big companies that should have done enough r&d and should be good even though it’s just a generic file for your car not a custom map.

Decent choice. They are not aggressive so you shouldnt (in theory) have any issues you wouldnt have done without a remap.
Yeah i'm enjoying it, main reason is my Indy who i trust and have used for years is a revo dealer, so it was best of both worlds for me.

Reactions: Damo S
Good lad, i’d only use a tuning box on a lump of **** of a car from now on.

Hows the remap?
It's cracking to be fair, doesn't feel too much different to the RS up to 90mph ish power wise. Definitely makes me miss it that little bit less.

Yeah i'm enjoying it, main reason is my Indy who i trust and have used for years is a revo dealer, so it was best of both worlds for me.
If you haven't already I would suggest doing the OEM intake mod (on this site) at the cost of a performance panel filter which is about 40 quid and cutting some unnecessary plastic. Goes a little better at the top end of the rpm range and provides a bit of induction noise.

If you haven't already I would suggest doing the OEM intake mod (on this site) at the cost of a performance panel filter which is about 40 quid and cutting some unnecessary plastic. Goes a little better at the top end of the rpm range and provides a bit of induction noise.
I'll have a look into it, you got any links or?

The way that Merc sounded I though it was a new drum band or something, reminded me of Safri Duo - Played A Live.

I'll have a look into it, you got any links or?

I didn't remove the bit of trim as shown in the 3rd picture down on that guide, but replaced the air filter with a performance one (about 40 quid - Pipercross Car Panel Filter PP1895 )

I've also replaced the pipe from the airbox to the turbo inlet with a turbo technics jobby. Thats about 200 quid and is helpful but not entirely essential.

Last edited: