Remapped s tronic issue

nicks3

Reaction score
I went in a mates remapped s tronic s3 and found there was a long delay between putting your foot on the throttle and the car actually accelerating. Has anyone else experienced this. Also the extra power seemed quite high up the rev range rather than torquey low down grunt - is this typical power delivery of a mapped s3?

i guess he didn't change the exhaust? with the aftermarket downpipe the car spools better and the responses immediately, there is no delay between pressing the pedal and accelerating, which wasn't the case with oem downpipe.

Are you talking about throttle response or are you mistaking it for the kick down delay on the DSG ? If your going at 40 in 6th and you floor it there will be a delay while it changes down to 2nd !!

Last edited:
assuming the cars has just had an engine remap, then the dsg does have a significant delay whilst things get going - also the gearbox has a torque limiter and this could interfere with a remap performing properly.

2 alternative to try are either:

1) manual mode of course and avoid using kickdown or

2) get the dsg box remapped as well as the engine
this can be reprogrammed to increase the speed of changes, reduce the chance of downchange by changing the torque request change points in the program, true manual mode, increase torque tolerance so the gearbox doesnt tell the engine to reduce torque, change the max revs and the revs change points etc etc

my remapped S3 stronic, runs sweet. plenty of mid-range TQ, infact sometimes I think it's in a lower gear.

the only time I have a delay, is from standing start, but i always thought that was the Haldex sorting out where to put power, it did this before the remap and my old VW V6 4motion DSG did the same.
Normal or spirited driving the throttle response is instant, minor lag if under around 2500-2800 rpm, but that is the turbo, if it's running in 6th @ 40, and i floor it, then the kick down to 2nd takes a little time (0.9 seconds according to the DSG spec.), but then the car feels like it jumps forwards before it launches it's self

mine is a MRC remap, with and ITG panel filter and Bosch F5DPOR plugs, its running around 310/310

there are no DSG remaps for the S3 Stronic yet, some tuners claim they have them but when it comes down to it there not ready yet.
the gearbox will limit TQ, but only at the shift points and this is set to 350nm, the gearbox TCU can also dial-back boost requests from the ECU. so you may not get the full possible boost on a remapped Stronic, but the TQ values are taken from the crank sensor and these can be manipulated to give a lower reading (i.e. multiply true value by 0.9) this 'fools' the DSG/Stonicto allow more TQ through, some reakon they are good for 500nm, but who knows the truth I guess some will some won't but that is one of the risks of going from a factory map. but what you get from the map and how safe it it will all depend on your tuner/map/car/you

I spent a lot of time looking in to this and you really need to give the car to a tuner that know what they are doing and can build you a custom map, as the generic S3 map is probably no good for the stronic.

mine is manual. hate any kind of auto transmition :racer:
but i'm saying that because couple of weeks ago i did tbe and after that the throtle response is immediately.

assuming the cars has just had an engine remap, then the dsg does have a significant delay whilst things get going - also the gearbox has a torque limiter and this could interfere with a remap performing properly.

2 alternative to try are either:

1) manual mode of course and avoid using kickdown or

2) get the dsg box remapped as well as the engine
this can be reprogrammed to increase the speed of changes, reduce the chance of downchange by changing the torque request change points in the program, true manual mode, increase torque tolerance so the gearbox doesnt tell the engine to reduce torque, change the max revs and the revs change points etc etc

some remap brands, like APR, says it's not necessary to remap DSG box if the ECU map it's correctly done.. has sense, if doesn't alter the data sent between ecu and dsg, but also I doubt if it's simply because they don't "dominate" the DSG boxes... ¿?

my remapped S3 stronic, runs sweet. plenty of mid-range TQ, infact sometimes I think it's in a lower gear.

the only time I have a delay, is from standing start, but i always thought that was the Haldex sorting out where to put power, it did this before the remap and my old VW V6 4motion DSG did the same.
Normal or spirited driving the throttle response is instant, minor lag if under around 2500-2800 rpm, but that is the turbo, if it's running in 6th @ 40, and i floor it, then the kick down to 2nd takes a little time (0.9 seconds according to the DSG spec.), but then the car feels like it jumps forwards before it launches it's self

mine is a MRC remap, with and ITG panel filter and Bosch F5DPOR plugs, its running around 310/310

there are no DSG remaps for the S3 Stronic yet, some tuners claim they have them but when it comes down to it there not ready yet.
the gearbox will limit TQ, but only at the shift points and this is set to 350nm, the gearbox TCU can also dial-back boost requests from the ECU. so you may not get the full possible boost on a remapped Stronic, but the TQ values are taken from the crank sensor and these can be manipulated to give a lower reading (i.e. multiply true value by 0.9) this 'fools' the DSG/Stonicto allow more TQ through, some reakon they are good for 500nm, but who knows the truth I guess some will some won't but that is one of the risks of going from a factory map. but what you get from the map and how safe it it will all depend on your tuner/map/car/you

I spent a lot of time looking in to this and you really need to give the car to a tuner that know what they are doing and can build you a custom map, as the generic S3 map is probably no good for the stronic.

I don't think haldex is related, because simply it engages "more" when it's necessary, and doesn't alters the engine behaviour, I think simply "hears" the canbus to transmit more or less torque

I don't drive an S3 but I do have a 2.0TDI-140 with an s-tronic gearbox that has been remapped to give around 170. There was no difference in behaviour of my s-tronic before or after the remap. It always pulls away without any delay. I drive in the 'tiptronic' mode except when I'm in a traffic queue so I decide when to change rather than leaving it the gearbox to decide. To me I use it as a manual without the need to keep pressing a clutch pedal, apart of course that the s-tronic selects first gear when for you when you stop. Something I tend to forget when I drive my wife's manual A1.

I don't drive an S3 but I do have a 2.0TDI-140 with an s-tronic gearbox that has been remapped to give around 170. There was no difference in behaviour of my s-tronic before or after the remap. It always pulls away without any delay. I drive in the 'tiptronic' mode except when I'm in a traffic queue so I decide when to change rather than leaving it the gearbox to decide. To me I use it as a manual without the need to keep pressing a clutch pedal, apart of course that the s-tronic selects first gear when for you when you stop. Something I tend to forget when I drive my wife's manual A1.

this has sense, and only could behave different in some circumstances like clutch slipping in hard power demand, higher stages setups

I realized this post it's old... I was looking for s-tronic info..

now, which tuners are capable to remap an S3 stronic gearbox?

We offer a full range of S-Tronic and DSG remaps with either our off the shelf maps or we can custom map the gearbox with different RPM limits / shift points for Sport and Auto mode... to suit your requirements. We can also alter the launch control point and torque limiters within the gearbox software. Dunk has experienced our custom DSG software and was more than happy with the end result.

Depending on the age of the car there are basically two different types of DSG box. What year is the car? and what engine remap are you running?