Reminder to secure your cars

Yeah pretty sure they just bring a spare and put it in the slot or take the emergency spare out the glovebox, wheel lock released, spare key programmed and off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Surely a powered port enables duplicate key programming? I’d still leave it disabled.

How would they do that if I don't have keyless entry, as I'm assuming my key fob isn't broadcasting unless I press a button?

I'm still going to leave mine disabled as there's the added benefit of it making it more difficult for me to casually check for codes and go all ocd. I've got a sticker saying that the OBD2 is disabled as well. But I'm still interested to know if a non-keyless car is vulnerable via powered OBD2 and how?

They just put the replacement key in the slot, and tell obd software to record the key in the slot as the new key.

Tools like this unfortunately make this all to easy for the theives

Last edited:
Their instructions basically say by turning on the radio and lights the tool gets an ignition signal and away they go reprogramming the new key.

Jeez, that's insane. So someone can get a blank key, plug this device into your OBD2 port and create a clone of your key in about 25 seconds?

My fuse is staying out.

Jeez, that's insane. So someone can get a blank key, plug this device into your OBD2 port and create a clone of your key in about 25 seconds?

My fuse is staying out.
Yep, and it'll turn your alarm off so it won't sound. if you haven't changed the coding from stock it'll be set to 15 secs delay which is plenty of time to do their thing. See posts above to set to zero seconds.

Reactions: ninjag
Is the Ghost overkill if taking out the fuse(s) will be enough to disable the OBD port?

I haven't got my S4 yet so this is just me thinking out loud, but if they break the window to gain access (I assume this is how they get into the car to get to the port in the first place??) couldn't they just open the passenger door from the inside to gain access to the fuse box to reenable the port?

My last Audi was a 99 A3 and problems like this weren't around when I had that car!

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but if I get a Ghost installed and my insurer requires the installation of a tracker as part of a low mileage policy (from More Than), how does that work, or does that even work? If not, is there something that will work if I need something plugged into the port at all times?

Your question concerning that a thief, after breaking the driver's side front window, could just reach in and press the "unlock" button - why don't you sit in the car, lock it with the remote and stay as still as possible, then once the driver's door LED has started flashing slowly, press the unlock button that is located inside the car.

I'd think that as the deadlocks have been enabled, the doors would not unlock, I've always assumed that was how things worked.

After that maybe consider buying a Discklok(sp) and using it, that is what I do as well as trying to make sure that I've fitted a physical lock/blocker to the diagnostics port.

Your question concerning that a thief, after breaking the driver's side front window, could just reach in and press the "unlock" button - why don't you sit in the car, lock it with the remote and stay as still as possible, then once the driver's door LED has started flashing slowly, press the unlock button that is located inside the car.
I did mention in my post that I haven't purchased the car yet, so not able to simply test it myself, hence my question.

The interior handles should usually be deadlocked if the car was locked from the outside so they crawl though the window usually if they've broken it.

Removing the fuse will mean you couldn't use an insurance tracking dongle as that will need to go into the obd port.

If you didn't have that then your just adding layers of protection by adding the ghost. If the theives are pros and know that h car well then they probably know the fast places to check if it's not working and popping off the fuse cover and waking in a new fuse isn't going to take them long. I suppose it's all about slowing down and or preventing the theft and how much you care/wanna spend.

I've got an "OBD2 port disabled" sticker on my driver window. I'm hoping that something so specific will make any potential thief think that there's a lot of other security in place. Well, that's the plan! lol

I've got an "OBD2 port disabled" sticker on my driver window. I'm hoping that something so specific will make any potential thief think that there's a lot of other security in place. Well, that's the plan! lol
If all else fails, make the wife sleep in the car :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: S3 Rav