Removal of cold start RS3 8V PFL?

TheAyAy

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm looking to stage 2 my RS3 but the sports exhaust is already really, really loud on cold start and my neighbors hate me when I leave for work... I don't want them to come running out with 8 machetes and 13 baseball bats for my head after I get a decat and secondary cat delete installed.

I'm planning on popping over to MRC to get my stage 2 remap and I was wondering if anybody knows if they'd be able to turn cold start off? Can this/has anybody done this? Doesn't have to be through MRC (cold-start delete)

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Have you considered a valve controller? I run the CETE module and this allows you to close the valves (or open) before you start. Also has the added benefit of remembering your auto stop/start setting.

It’s not the valves being open I think (apart from a brief second or so), it’s the high revs and weird gearbox that mean you put your foot down to pull away, revs rise but you don’t move much :p

Then after a minute it’s all back to normal :)

Have you considered a valve controller? I run the CETE module and this allows you to close the valves (or open) before you start. Also has the added benefit of remembering your auto stop/start setting.

Thanks for the reply, I don’t think that’s going to help much, I would rather get rid of the cold start completely. Anyway, how much does the CETE module cost and how does it work? If it’s not that expensive I’ll give it a shot

It’s not the valves being open I think (apart from a brief second or so), it’s the high revs and weird gearbox that mean you put your foot down to pull away, revs rise but you don’t move much :p

Then after a minute it’s all back to normal :)

That’s exactly it! I don’t want that overly aggressive cold start. I came from a C63 that was half as loud with secondary cats and resonators removes than this is stock!

The CETE valve controller does help with the start up noise though, close the valves before starting and it is a lot quieter.

Yer I understand the cold start is aggressive as it tries to warm the cats up (emissions rules). The CETE won't stop this but having the flaps closed actually makes a fairly big difference to the volume. Maybe, I'll try record it for you (give me a few days lol)

Unfortunately the CETE controller is not cheap, around 360 euro - so maybe leave that as your plan B. :)

The CETE valve controller does help with the start up noise though, close the valves before starting and it is a lot quieter.

Apart from the initial 1-2 seconds when the valves are open on cold start, are they not closed from then on normally (unless in dynamic obviously :) )?

So a valve controler would take the edge off the initial bark, but the high revs for the next minute or so would still be the same?

The cold start catalyst heating can be turned off via a remap so MRC should be able to do it.

Apart from the initial 1-2 seconds when the valves are open on cold start, are they not closed from then on normally (unless in dynamic obviously :) )?

So a valve controler would take the edge off the initial bark, but the high revs for the next minute or so would still be the same?

Yes it dulls the initial bark up.

I do it on early mornings, does make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk