Removing badge adhesive....

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
.... but not normal adhesive. My badge was on the wrong side, so I know it's been glued on with something. It has come off ok, but what's left behind is like a sealant that has dried hard. Very hard. I can chip it off (to a point) but it's taking the paint off with it. Currently the only damaged area I can cover with a new badge, (a small longer quattro shaped style one) but I'm out of ideas. Only option I can think of is to buy a new A6 badge! I really need something that will dissolve the sealant.

Any thoughts?

i used auto glym tar remover for my badges. worked well, just have to let it soak in for a couple of minutes then pretty much wipes off..

Scott, I'll speak to you.

This stuff has no apparent absorbency though, it's a similar feel to tile grout. I have soaked it in in white spirit, which I imagine is what AG tar remover is based on to but no avail.

It works on the drive stuff as well.
I've not found any thing that its not been able to remove yet.

Just don't hold it on or it will get hot and effect the paint.

If it doesnt absorb then chemicals will not work. You may have to use a non metallic scraper made out or paxolin or perspex. It may scratch the surface it may not all depends on how hard the glue substance is. If it scratches then a quick detail on the tailgate will suffice.

White spirit, soak and leave for 10-minutes, then soak and leave for 10-minutes, then carefully with finger and thumb 'push/peel' off the adhesive. DO NOT use anything sharp or abrasive! :scared2:

Apply a decent coat of polish and buff-off, 'tis easy...

P1010762mod_zps13bd522d.jpg

I've debadged lots of cars, and you're right it is easy. But not with this, which isn't the usual adhesive. I could soak this for an hour in white spirit but it wouldn't matter because it's non absorbent....

I've debadged lots of cars, and you're right it is easy. But not with this, which isn't the usual adhesive. I could soak this for an hour in white spirit but it wouldn't matter because it's non absorbent....

Ok, I'm in Staffordshire and will be happy to spend a few hours and do it for you/together.

Your badge adhesive residue looks EXACTLY the same as mine did when I 'dental-flossed' mine off my 2011 RS3 so I don't see yours being any different.

You could maybe try some Methylated spirits also, as I may (?) have done; but whichever, it will/does soften eventually and sufficient to roll-off with finger and/or thumb.

Did the same on our TT, and a few other RS3's: same process, same effect i.e., that gooey-stuff did come off without paint damage.

More than willing to give you my time...

Otherwise be patient and do it again, and again, and again if necessary but it WILL come off!

Reactions: T-800, BaileyA3, rjm180 and 1 other person
Thanks for the offer, I'm in Dorset though so it's not really a feasible plan!

I'll have some more time on Friday, I'll resume soaking in white spirit then and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 45bvtc
right james, try this,
just done the 5 and this is what i done, ok, not exactly the same problem, but give it a shot dude!
hair drier the gum, squirt WD40 on the gum as you do it with rag underneath for 5 mins, rubbing as you heat, try fishing line, your finger nails etc to pick of the excess, and keep heating as you pick!
wd 40 does have a purpose!
once off, polish or T cut the shaddow and, voila! gone.

I used hair dryer then autosmart tardis to remove mine, that will def remove it. tardis is only avail in 5L but you can buy from the decanters on ebay 250ml will suffice.

Thanks for the offer, I'm in Dorset though so it's not really a feasible plan!

I'll have some more time on Friday, I'll resume soaking in white spirit then and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Did it work for you? Job done?

Did it work for you? Job done?

Unfortunately the ebay seller sent the wrong item, and then by the time the correct one arrived and it lined up with my days off it was time for torrential rain! I have soaked it several times in both white spirit and WD40 and it doesn't appear to have softened it all.

I'll update in due course when I've managed to try it.

None of the spirits I tried touched it, white spirit, WD etc, the only thing I didn't try was Tardis (as I didn't have any). It was completely impervious, so wouldn't absorb any kind of liquid.

Finally had a go with the caramel wheel today.

It did the job, probably took me a best part of an hour as I kept it well soaked with Last Touch detailing fluid as I was terrified of burning the paint! What you can see is the paint that came off when I lifted the badge the first time, so it's as good as it's going to get. I'll cut the paint back and polish it up and that should hide the worst of it.

When that's done and the weather is kinder I'll put this on which should detract from it quite a lot anyway. Thanks all for your help :thumbsup:

Reactions: Buneet and ScottD3
IF EVER again please drive over/call and I'll do it for you FOC - and provide coffee while you wait/chat.

Paint is so easy to remove with anything heat generating, as you now know.

'Dipstick' comes to mind but I guess you like me now keep 'that' under the bonnet/hood: one thing is for sure, you'll not do the same again...

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and T-800
IF EVER again please drive over/call and I'll do it for you FOC - and provide coffee while you wait/chat.

Paint is so easy to remove with anything heat generating, as you now know.

'Dipstick' comes to mind but I guess you like me now keep 'that' under the bonnet/hood: one thing is for sure, you'll not do the same again...

Is this aimed at me? Dipstick?

Seems rather an odd reply after I resolved the issue some ten months ago!

I can't help myself: laugh and the world laughs with you... :uk:

Reactions: DAYTONA 500