Removing tar?

jbw

Reaction score
Website
www.anotheragenda.com
I'm not quite sure why I didn't raise this with the previous owner when I bought it but my a3 has some tiny little black dots along the sides and on the front. My old man told me it's most likely tar, from driving on a hot day, and that I sould be able to pick up a cleaning solution to remove it without destroying the paint work. I wash my car with water, no shampoo or solution, so you can imagine I have no clue what to use. I've found the following on halfords:

http://www.halfords.com/opd_category.asp?root=1&id=288#288

Has anyone used any of these and, if so, would you recommend any of them? Or do you guys have any other recommendations?
Also if you could recommend a shampoo to use I'd be very grateful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ta,
jbw

Wash with plain water! noooooo..

Meguiar's shampoo and Meguiar's lambswool wash mitt. The wash mitt has a bug remover on the reverse side. I find that a good shampoo together with very light ( pressure ) use of the bug remover gets the 'little' tar spots off.

"Wash with plain water! noooooo.."

Is this not a good idea? I always thought the shampoos were a bit of a con. Have I been a fool? How do you guys wash your cars then: soak, wash with shampoo and mitt followed by a rinse?

ta,
jbw

wash the car then spray wd40 on the tar, u can quickly c it working then wipe away with a clean soft cloth, wash where ya been and give it a wax, no more tar.

didnt read the first posts properly, use shampoo you crazy fool. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok, I'll use shampoo from now on, I promise. I tend to wash my car weekly (you're gonna love this)... cos it sits under a sycamore tree on my drive. Would using a wax prevent the sticky sycamore from damaging my paintwork?

I've found the following:

wash

prep

mitts

Do I want that ultimate wash mitt for £8.25 - is that the one you were referring to Japper?
Which of the shampoos should I go with?
I've also got some very subtle, light swirling scratches over the roof (looks to me like someone did it washing the car). Will the scratch X stuff remove them?
Lastly are those prices very good or should I go on the prowl?

ta,
jbw

i use triple wax car shampoo, it isnt expensive and its pretty good. havnt tried the meguiars yet but from what i hear its v good.

jbw

Can't see the links, but think the 'Ultimate' was mitt by meguiar's is the white microfibre one. Haven't tried this one so can't comment. The Lambswool one with the bug remover is about the same price and is a cream coloured lambswool mitt.

Shampoo helps lift the dirt from the paint surface. Without it your more likely to rub the dirt against the paint causing swirls.

Wow Monty77 - thanks for the tips. I want my car to look it's best, I paid (in my humble opinion) alot of money for it.

I've ordered the following:
Maguiers Lambswool mitt (w/ bug remover)
Maguiers softwash gel
Maguiers Clay bar
Maguiers Soft clear coat body scrub
Maguiers Gold class wax

It's a pretty penny but if it gets rid of the tar and means it looks great and is better protected I'm happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm now left with two questions:

1, When my car is cleaned at the Audi dealers they wash the windscreen with something so when I use the washer/wipers I get a film over my windscreen blinding me for a second or two. Is this going to happen with any of the products I've ordered? Do I need to treat the glass seperately?

2, What should I wash my alloys with?

ta,
jbw

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Monty77 - thanks for the tips. I want my car to look it's best, I paid (in my humble opinion) alot of money for it.

I've ordered the following:
Maguiers Lambswool mitt (w/ bug remover)
Maguiers softwash gel
Maguiers Clay bar
Maguiers Soft clear coat body scrub
Maguiers Gold class wax

It's a pretty penny but if it gets rid of the tar and means it looks great and is better protected I'm happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm now left with two questions:

1, When my car is cleaned at the Audi dealers they wash the windscreen with something so when I use the washer/wipers I get a film over my windscreen blinding me for a second or two. Is this going to happen with any of the products I've ordered? Do I need to treat the glass seperately?

2, What should I wash my alloys with?

ta,
jbw

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very welcome - I also think that spending £100 on cleaning products is excellent value for keeping something worth £1000s in pristine condition.

1) Glass is a separate issue. Personally I like Autoglym glass polish (or fast glass) .. does the job, no smears.

2) Wheels. Well up until a week ago I'd of recommended a product called MC2 multiclean for alloys. It's citrus based and wont eat your alloys like other products I could mention. It was £30 for 5 litres. A new source has been found and it's much cheaper - It's called Virosol.

http://www.jantastic.co.uk/acatalog/Jantastic_Household_Products_6.html

...basically you use it neat 1st time then can dilute it 5:1 so it lasts AGES.

Adam

jbw

I agree with monty77 that autoglym is good for glass. As for alloys I use water and shampoo ( seperate bucket to rest of car ) and then coat with WheelWax.

They stay clean for ages.

Oh, and dont forget tyre dressing, Meguiar's endurance gel is great and smells divine.

On the subject of cleaning - can any of you guys recommend a good interior cleaner? I am thinking about the dashboard and plastic panels but want to avoid the 'shiny' look.

[ QUOTE ]
jbw

I agree with monty77 that autoglym is good for glass. As for alloys I use water and shampoo ( seperate bucket to rest of car ) and then coat with WheelWax.

They stay clean for ages.

Oh, and dont forget tyre dressing, Meguiar's endurance gel is great and smells divine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking for something for the tyres myself, may give that a go.

I just use whatever wax is left on the applicator after doing the car for wheels - didn't see the point in buying a separate wax for the job - seems to work ok.

A

[ QUOTE ]
On the subject of cleaning - can any of you guys recommend a good interior cleaner? I am thinking about the dashboard and plastic panels but want to avoid the 'shiny' look.

[/ QUOTE ]

Autoglym plastic/vinyl cleaner works ok. Spray it onto cloth, not directly on the dash to avoid the greasy look.

A

...if you know anything about roofing though I'd love your help lol

Afraid not. But I know a man that does. lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Japper - I really appreciate your help too and will look into wheelwax. I don't know what tyre dressing is? Does it prolong the life of tyres or just make them look spangly?

ta,
jbw

[quoteI don't know what tyre dressing is? Does it prolong the life of tyres or just make them look spangly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of both really, but mainly keeps them looking like new, rather than brown and cracked.

The endurance gel is purple in colour, so you will know when you see it and it smells of blueberry pie, divine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No problems with the help, it's what this forum is all about.

I agree with Adam, the only thing I would suggest is after washing, wash down with a rag soaked with petrol. Once this is done wash again and polish using whatever. This was an old trick I picked up from a valeter friend. Works a treat. You will get a whitish smear after rubbing down but as long as you polish afterwards it is fine. Also make sure you do this outside with NO NAKED FLAMES around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the kit I ordered arrived yesterday. I've read the instructions for all and have a question about the clay bar.
Can I store and re-use this or is it only good for 1 application?
Do I need to use lots of the supplied clay bar spray? Could I damage my paintwork if I'm not careful?

ta,
jbw

[/ QUOTE ]

You can reuse the claybar, just make sure to knead it all the time while using it to keep grit inside the clay. When it's really dirty you should throw it away and if you drop it on a gritty surface chuck it - not worth the risk of rubbing grit into the paintwork. Meg claybar is large enough to cut in 2 btw.

You will use quite a bit of lube. Personally I'd keep the lube (Quick wax detailer?) and make up a concentrated shampoo solution and use that instead. Important to use plenty of lube or you risk scratching the finish or leaving clay deposits which are a pain to remove.

Happy claying!
Adam

Do you do the entire car with the clay bar or should I only concentrate of certain areas?
I've been looking over my car this afternoon/evening. It's got a few swirl marks on the roof and the bonnet. Will the mag body scrub and clay bar help remove these or should I be looking at the scratch X stuff for solving this problem?

Adam - Should I be drying the car between each stage?

ta,
jbw

P.S - Perhaps there should be some sort of sticky in here that would explain cleaning with what to use & when? It would be extremely useful to newcomers (like myself). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jbw

Use Scratch X for the swirls and body scrub / claybar to remove contaminents stuck to your paintwork. I would rinse and dry inbetween each operation, but somebody else may offer better / more detailed advice on what's best to do on this point.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you do the entire car with the clay bar or should I only concentrate of certain areas?
I've been looking over my car this afternoon/evening. It's got a few swirl marks on the roof and the bonnet. Will the mag body scrub and clay bar help remove these or should I be looking at the scratch X stuff for solving this problem?

Adam - Should I be drying the car between each stage?

ta,
jbw

P.S - Perhaps there should be some sort of sticky in here that would explain cleaning with what to use & when? It would be extremely useful to newcomers (like myself). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good idea to do the whole car, you'll find some areas take longer than others thought. Worst bits seem to be the door sills whereas the roof wont take long at all.

If you have swirl marks then I'd wash/claybar/clearcoatscrub then attack it with some scratch X while the paint is super clean. You'll need to clearcoatscrub the area again after as the scratchx contains polishing agents of it's own.

I woulnd't bother drying the car after washing if you're going to claybar it anyway but I'd wipe it down with a cotton towel after the claying is done as the scrub probably works best on a dry surface.

There's an excellent cleaning tips forum here: http://shop.meguiars.co.uk/phpBB2/

..if a little biased as to which products to use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

Thanks Adam.

I'll read through the link and leave you alone now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You've been most helpful. Unfortunately I didn't have all the stuff to do it this weekend. I can't do next weekend cos my lady is coming home to see me. It's gonna have to be the weekend after (depends on the weather though). I'll try to take pics of before and after if I'm successful!

ta,
jbw

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Adam.

I'll read through the link and leave you alone now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You've been most helpful. Unfortunately I didn't have all the stuff to do it this weekend. I can't do next weekend cos my lady is coming home to see me. It's gonna have to be the weekend after (depends on the weather though). I'll try to take pics of before and after if I'm successful!

ta,
jbw

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I dont claim to be an expert but have spent a lot of money and time over the years with various products and have finally found a combination that works well for me.

If you get a chance at least try to hose some of the salt off of the car, washed mine yesterday (in the snow!) and was amazed at how much of the stuff was caked onto the car!

...oh and if it's too cold dont bother with the full treatment - wax doesn't go one well in cold temps (i.e. <5deg) .. just smears all over the place.

Cheers,
Adam