Removing wing mirror

HotboxDeluxe

automatic
Reaction score
A nice lorry driver took most of it off for me already :gun2: but what i need to do is get the rest of it off to fit the new one - do I need to take the door card off?

I have a feeling I need to, what a pain in the ****...

A nice lorry driver took most of it off for me already :gun2: but what i need to do is get the rest of it off to fit the new one - do I need to take the door card off?

I have a feeling I need to, what a pain in the ****...

Here is a copy of the page from the Elsawin workshop manual with instructions on how to remove the door mirror.

Remove Door Mirror

If you need anything else, let me know and I'll see what I can find.

Maybe I'm being stupid...but I don't see how the mirror actually comes off the car :think: I've got a fair idea how the mirror itself comes apart because I had to pick all the bits of the old one off the floor, and zip-tie it back together :o.k:

"Window frame must be removed before removing mirror base." = don't like the sound of that somehow...:sadlike:

Yes but do I need to take the door card off to get at the gubbins - I have a feeling it will be necessary...

I think you might be right. It's quite easy to get off. I'm sure Dave will be along soon to post instructions for you. ;)

Cheers guys - unless it's booby trapped or requires special tools I should be ok taking the doorcard off :thumbsup:

Yeah just remove the piano black or alum trim, undo a bolt at bottom centre of door, then some maybe behind the trim removed, then slowly carefully prise your hand in between the door card & door & go round the edge slowly edging it of which pops the clips out of the locaters, then disconnect the door module loom & maybe a black wire for the alarm led that blinks on middle of dash/windscreen, then you can remove the black trim behind the mirror & possibly a foam insert & remove the bolts to take the mirror completely off

Take heed of the mirror loom as it goes into the door & then pops out further down by the door module, but you're better of disconnecting the wires from the mirror 1st then feeding them through the new mirror tube unless when the lorry hit the mirror its torn the wires.connectors completely of, which would need either a new mirror loom that maybe you've got with your new mirror or repair wires to do a fix on, might have to remove the inner door cover aswell to change the loom.

Thankyou kind sir, I am now full of confidence. I can definately manage this :thumbsup:

Once again, thanks for the useful info :o.k:

i was going to ask about this when i can get hold of some s3 mirrors for a sensibleish price, i assume it will be just the same, so thanks in advance for the useful info guys :rock:

Nah you just need to remove the caps/covers as I assume you just want the alum effect, its a case of remove the mirror glass by tilting forward so gap at top, then with a flat piece of wood in middle of glass & slowly pop it of, dont rush do slowly & then disconnect the 2-4 wires depending if you have heated & auto dimming, most likely only heated on 2 spade connectors, then unscrew the underneath black trim(2 screws) & pop this out slowly, then there's usually one screw that holds the cover in place, then slowly & meticulously prise it of from underneath you need to push to locating lugs in so they release the cover, then do reverse making sure to remember the wire locations on mirror glass, test heated mirror by starting car & turning on the rear window demister, this usually activates the side mirror heating.

Just a follow-up to say thanks :o.k: without the contributions of NHN, JohnS3, and h5djr I'd probably still be tugging at the door card....

In fact the main problem was the numpty holding the screwdriver...I'm only going to take it apart 1 more time to put it back together PROPERLY lol :think:

Set myself a personal record too - only broke 1 clip :p

Hey no worries fella, one clip is better than me on 1st attempt, I have a small stock of these now, lol

When I do some more tinkering in the doors I'm going to buy a little bag of those door card fixings...didn't break any this time but I know myself! :faint:

I actually snapped the rearmost clip off the alu trim strip, now it's a bit loose, aaargh, I hate stuff like that :gun2:

Was thinking about changing it anyway :noway:

Hi guys, just to confirm, you HAVE to take the door card off to disconnect the door mirror? the tube the wires run out to the mirror looks very narrow for a connector to pass through!

Damn the useless search on ASN.I tried searching for this info but to no avail

Posted up a thread yesterday asking this very question...... When it was all here already!

Top info guys :)

grab yourself elsa and etka scottie, saves working it out for yourself! theres a guy selling copies for 15 quid

grab yourself elsa and etka scottie, saves working it out for yourself! theres a guy selling copies for 15 quid

I already have etka now. Just need to get elsa, as it will be very handy soon for electrical diagrams etc

You got a link to the elsa?